PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay for Manny Ramirez HR bat???

jon_8_us
06-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I have been offered the oppurtunity to purchase a Manny Ramirez HR bat from this year.My question is what is the ceiling on an item like this price wise?I have never dealt in HR bats before and would welcome anyones opinion.Thanks
jon

gamer35
06-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Just like all of the "home run" game used shirts that he sold in 2003 and 2004 which were absolutely ridiculous?

I would be greatly surprised if Manny actually tracked these bats in 2007 prior to sending them to ESM for their sale later in June.

Why would it be any different from any of the 100+ bats that he sold through his foundation that had one or maybe two ball marks with a "game used " inscription?

I wonder who is the guinea pig this time to roll around in the dirt and rub the supposed "game used" hats and jersey with some clay or maybe some dirt.

jon_8_us
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Just like all of the "home run" game used shirts that he sold in 2003 and 2004 which were absolutely ridiculous?

I would be greatly surprised if Manny actually tracked these bats in 2007 prior to sending them to ESM for their sale later in June.

Why would it be any different from any of the 100+ bats that he sold through his foundation that had one or maybe two ball marks with a "game used " inscription?

I wonder who is the guinea pig this time to roll around in the dirt and rub the supposed "game used" hats and jersey with some clay or maybe some dirt.

For arguments sake lets say it's photomatched.I have spoken with Scot at Elite and they really seem to be on top of it this time around.And i watch all Manny at bats this season and he hasn't been using lots of bats....
jon

NegleyPirate
06-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Jon, with all the Manny bat's you already have I'm sure you have a HR bat. How many Manny bat's are you up to? What homerun # is the bat??

gamer35
06-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Having all of Manny's ABs on tape, it seems as though 2 of his HR bats were split into 2 during the course of the season. During the last month he has been using M9's after using SAM's for much of April. I saw that they wanted $1500 for a HR bat. Considering the number of Manny bats on the market, I would say that it is a bit high but its all about personal preference. However, if you want a return on your investment, I dont seeing the bat returning that much on the open market.

jon_8_us
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Having all of Manny's ABs on tape, it seems as though 2 of his HR bats were split into 2 during the course of the season. During the last month he has been using M9's after using SAM's for much of April. I saw that they wanted $1500 for a HR bat. Considering the number of Manny bats on the market, I would say that it is a bit high but its all about personal preference. However, if you want a return on your investment, I dont seeing the bat returning that much on the open market.

All good points.He had been using Sam more recently as well but switched right back to M9.Anyhow i really look for no return on an item like this.I'm a fan.If anything if my future ex wife:) ever made me sell my bats i would just look to get back what i put into it.As i said before so far i have been impressed with Elite in my conversations i have had with them.Granted you always have to do your homework.Back to my original question.Is there any comparable example out there for a star HR bat?
As for the other question.Yes i probably own a few HR bats but to be able to know and photomatch is something that has so far alluded me.

jon

gamer35
06-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Well its tough to gauge a price when there really isn't that much of a market for Manny HR bats. At the rate he has been hitting them this year, they may be a hot commodity. I am sure that there are numerous Manny HR bats that were already sold over the years, but who knows since they were not inscribed as such. I know that ESM is trying to be diligent about photomatching the items, but Ill believe it when I see it if he turns over any "home run" bats to them that they can photomatch.

TNTtoys
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Jon,

Can I ask the obvious question -- rather than guess, what exactly is Elite looking to get for the bat? Maybe then we can compare it to the going rate on 2007 Manny bats, and see if the premium is substantial enough to warrant the price? My two cents...

Nick

gamer35
06-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Jon,

Can I ask the obvious question -- rather than guess, what exactly is Elite looking to get for the bat? Maybe then we can compare it to the going rate on 2007 Manny bats, and see if the premium is substantial enough to warrant the price? My two cents...

Nick

Nick,
When I inquired, they were looking for $1500 for a HR bat. It seems somewhat high, but how many other Manny 07 bats have you seen? I haven't seen any yet. Rather than compare it to 07 bats, it would probably be more appropriate to compare to it all Manny bats out there. Considering the market is flooded with Manny bats (not all legit, but still more than most players), is it worth paying that? Its all about personal preference. But if you are looking to resell it at a profit, I would forget about that. My two cents.

TNTtoys
06-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I agree. If he goes through bats at a pace at all close to the pace he goes through jerseys, the price is way too high... and he has hit far too many home runs in his career to make these bats that special. I would suggest that there should be a premium for having a HR bat, but that premium should not take the bat to a price that is double or triple the going rate. And ditto for the jerseys out there. The market saturation is one of the many reasons I stay away from the current stars. These items clearly do not reflect the principles of supply & demand by any means.

jon_8_us
06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree. If he goes through bats at a pace at all close to the pace he goes through jerseys, the price is way too high... and he has hit far too many home runs in his career to make these bats that special. I would suggest that there should be a premium for having a HR bat, but that premium should not take the bat to a price that is double or triple the going rate. And ditto for the jerseys out there. The market saturation is one of the many reasons I stay away from the current stars. These items clearly do not reflect the principles of supply & demand by any means.

Thanks i will keep your very good points in mind.As for the price i was offered i must keep that between me and the individual.
jon

indyred
06-06-2007, 10:39 PM
That would be a awesome bat if it was photo matched to the hr swing. I've seen people spend $1,500 on a lot items I would consider less valuable than this. Has there ever been a photo matched Manny hr signed bat on the market. I would think a bat like that in a big auction house, it would be ball park what it would sell for.

jon_8_us
06-07-2007, 12:13 AM

And to make one more point.Manny may use a jersey PER GAME but that is definitely not the case with his bats!
jon

jon_8_us
06-07-2007, 12:14 AM
That would be a awesome bat if it was photo matched to the hr swing. I've seen people spend $1,500 on a lot items I would consider less valuable than this. Has there ever been a photo matched Manny hr signed bat on the market. I would think a bat like that in a big auction house, it would be ball park what it would sell for.

Short answer....NO i have never seen a Manny HR bat
jon

Jags Fan Dan
06-07-2007, 06:59 AM
I think the question of "what is it worth" is best answered "It's up to you." You are a collector with no intention of moving the bat in the foreseeable future. Manny may or may not be your favorite player, and if you feel this is a very special bat that you may never get another opportunity to own one like it, you are in unchartered territory and no one can estimate the price. If the bat is truly special and would be one of your most treasured pieces, you just need to figure out how much you can afford to pay for it without feeling guilty about spending too much on it.