PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been confronted by a player who wanted to fight?

Jags Fan Dan
06-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I gotta hear it, Howard!:D

Jags Fan Dan
06-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Possibly Kirk Gibson????....:D

I know there was a thread not long ago where Albert Berlle yelled at a guy who had his batting helmet and tried to get it signed.

hblakewolf
06-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Jags-
Here is my experience (posted earlier in the year here on the Forum) with Kirk Gibson.

WHAT'S YOUR WORST EXPEREINCE WITH AN ATLETE RELATED TO GAME USED EQUIPMENT?

It may relate to you trying to get an item autographed, asking a player if he remembers using your item, etc.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
hblkakewolf@patmedia.net

Jags Fan Dan
06-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Berlle
That should be "Belle"

Jags Fan Dan
06-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow, what a story, Howard. Thanks for giving me the scoop.

mvandor
06-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Great story, obviously he was wound tight that night for some reason. I saw him at a card show last year and he was all smiles signing away for the payin' fans.

Reckon knowin' you're gettin' paid for your sig improves the ole disposition! :)

suave1477
06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
mvandor yeah think again.

You would be suprised how many player would rather spit in your face then give you at least a smile when they are signing.

Bob Gibson barely even looks at you and has an attitude about signing practically everything.

Hank Aaron doesnt even acknowledge your there.

Willie Mays I heard depending on his own mood will go to the length of even ruining his own autograph when signing for you.

Reggie Jackson acknowledges your there but acts like he doesn't want to be and signs where ever he feels he wants too usually ruining whatever your getting signed.

And the list goes on and on......

Here is my thing to all these players - put aside for 1 minute that your getting paid to be here signing. They should be happy to have a fan who took the time out of his day to wake up in the morning, get dressed and make it his business to travel just to come to see you whether it be just to meet you or for your autograph. Point Blank be happy that the fans remember you, because as you get older your losing your fan base once your retired.

harpt
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Once when I was a kid (about ten) after a game at County Stadium (in Milwaukee), I was trying to get an autograph from Don Sutton who had pitched that night. He was in the dugout being interviewed by a radio station and I was leaning over the railing and yelling something like "Hey Mr. Sutton, can I have your autograph." He actually stopped the interview to yell at me and told me to "shut up!" Even the usher couldn't help but laugh at me.

Well, 25 years later even I think it's pretty funny, but the ten year old me was pretty embarrassed. Bottom line: These guys are all human just like us.

cards-bats
06-06-2007, 03:17 PM
In the early '90's Anthony Bonner from St. Louis University (NBA player) had to be restrained while he was playing my University of Evansville Purple Aces at Roberts Stadium. After the game he attempted to come into the stands and dismember each one of us for the verbal harassment we gave him for 2 full halves. He had to be restrained by coaches and police. Evansville won the game by the way.

Pete Gillen never attempted to do anything, but you could tell that after years of being called "David Letterman" while on the sidelines for Xavier, he hated the name. I think he may have attempted to sue if he knew our names. $10 says that if you called him "Letterman" today, he would think you were from Southern Indiana.

-J

mvandor
06-06-2007, 04:30 PM
mvandor yeah think again.

You would be suprised how many player would rather spit in your face then give you at least a smile when they are signing.

Bob Gibson barely even looks at you and has an attitude about signing practically everything.

Hank Aaron doesnt even acknowledge your there.

Willie Mays I heard depending on his own mood will go to the length of even ruining his own autograph when signing for you.

Reggie Jackson acknowledges your there but acts like he doesn't want to be and signs where ever he feels he wants too usually ruining whatever your getting signed.

And the list goes on and on......

Here is my thing to all these players - put aside for 1 minute that your getting paid to be here signing. They should be happy to have a fan who took the time out of his day to wake up in the morning, get dressed and make it his business to travel just to come to see you whether it be just to meet you or for your autograph. Point Blank be happy that the fans remember you, because as you get older your losing your fan base once your retired.
No, I agree, some of these guys are either introverted, anti-social, or just arrogant a-holes.

To turn this around, who HAS been a polite or jovial signer at a show for you?

MooseDog
06-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Wow Howard, what a story. I was going to relate how Kirk Gibson, when he was a rookie with the Tigers, stepped on my foot and sort of spat on me as he told me to "F**k Off" when I asked him for an autograph after an A's game. I'd been turned down before but never with such malice.

So, I developed a bit of a dislike for him...then...

1988 World Series Game 1...every time I see his face, his name, or that g&& d**ned replay I just want to barf.

cjw
06-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I have had a great number of positive experiences over the years working at the ballpark in Toronto (including friendships forged with players such as Roger Clemens, Joe Cruz Jr., etc) I even got to meet and sit with my hero - Henry Aaron. But this was all as an adult. (Hammerin' Hank was very gracious and even sought me out to offer a signed ball and thanks for some previous, minor assistance)

The most memorable (negative) encounter with a player, I had as a child was at Canada's Wonderland (sort of a Six Flag's amusement park). I remember spotting Dave Stieb across the parking lot and wandering over in awe (he was the biggest star in Toronto at the time), and politely asking him for an autograph. He said "F&%$ off...I am with my family!). needless to say, I was crushed and quickly starting admiring the great ouldfielders on the Jays teams of the 1980's!

I entertained Dave as a Guest in the ball park restaurant I managed years later and he still carried an arrogance about him that warned people to stay away.

ham1963
06-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey cjw, maybe that is why Stieb never got his perfect game (3 times trying )

arrogance = BAD Carma :D :D :D

hiramman
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
In 1985 (I was a college student at the time) and Mickey Mantle came to a town near-by on a LEE Jeans autograph tour. The town had two malls on seperate sides of town. He was signing at one mall and then signing at the other mall few hours later. I'd collected Mantle cards since I was about 8 or 9 years old and was a huge Mantle fan. I went early to the first mall and was 3rd in line. I got a baseball signed and everything was great. As soon as I got his autograph and took some photos, I headed straight over to the other mall. I ended up about 20th in line there. We had to wait sewveral hours for him to show up from the first mall signing and I guess lunch.(maybe a 3 martini lunch?) Anyway, when I got up to him to get another autograph, he signed my item and then said didn't I see you at the other mall? I told him yes and that I was a huge fan. Rather than remark about being a dedicated fan or that I must really be a huge fan as I expected, he began to cuss me and tell me how I was being greedy and taking away a spot for someone else. That was the end of collecting Mantle. I ended up selling all of my mantle cards withing the year and at the time I had everyone of his Topps cards, except the 1952 & 1953 cards and had all of his Bowman cards except his 1951 rookie.

On the other hand, I met Bobby Thompson at a card show in 1989. After the line died down, we sat and talked for half an hour and got an awesome photo of us together with his arm around my shoulder. Class act all the way.