PDA

View Full Version : Legit Twins jersey gamer WITHOUT 3 digit tagging?

staindsox
06-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I have heard many people who have dealt with Twins jerseys for awhile claim that the 3 digit tagging is always there (jerseys from the team). It sounds like 100% of the time, the team always has their 3 digit tagging. That's why I thought this was interesting. No tagging at all, but it has a Proshop LOA. Interesting.

Chris

http://www.lrmemo.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=cs%2Dgu%2Djersey

hblakewolf
06-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Although the norm for the Twins jerseys is to have this tag, nothing is a definate when it comes to Majestic tagging.

I just obtained a nice grouping of 2005 and 2006 Reds jerseys, and although most have the PROPERTY OF THE REDS tag in the tail, there are a few that do not have this.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

staindsox
06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Howard. Is there or have you ever noticed a difference in Russell and Majestic tagging in terms of their consistency in staying to a single standard? The Silva is actually a Russell. Ever since Majestic has been supplying teams, you see ten thousand David Oritz tagged jerseys. My impression has been that Russell seemed to be more consistent than Majestic. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again.

Chris

hblakewolf
06-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Although there are some variations with Russell, Majestic is all over the board!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

sylbry
06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
That jersey screams spring training. It is missing the Eloise tag on the sleeve for it to be a 2004 regular season jersey. I have a 2006 spring training jersey with a Twins LOA that lacks proper tags.

Bryan

staindsox
06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Bryan, that was my immediate thought too, but spring training jerseys are tagged too. They only lack any patches unique to the season (i.e. Eloise, Herb, 1965 40th Anniversary, Puckett, etc). This should have been tagged too. What I also thought was odd was that the Proshop differentiates S/T jerseys from season gamers in their LOAs. The jersey is no-doubt legit to one degree or another, but I haven't seen one like this before. Thanks for the post!

Chris

sylbry
06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi Chris,

Here is my theory on the jersey. Silva first joined the Twins during spring training 2004. The Twins may not have had his size or had yet to assign him a jersey number. So they created his jersey in Fort Myers using a local company (my 2006 spring training jersey that lacks proper tags was created by a company other than Steichens and is apparent by looking at the stitching on the nameplate.

With that theory it would make sense why this particular spring training jersey lacks the proper tagging. I did notice there is a picture of Silva in a home uniform from spring training 2004 on Getty. Didn't have time to compare it or even notice if the two jerseys are the same number.

I tend to believe this theory combined with the Pro Shop making an error on the LOA (afterall, they are typed up on the spot by the Pro Shop manager) than I do Silva wearing a jersey in the regular season that lacks the Eloise patch which they wore all season long.

My two cents.

Bryan

sportscentury
06-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Chris,

You have some received some great help here from Bryan and Howard. Other folks you could contact are Clyde Doepner, Andy Benish, and Fred Budde - these guys are Twins game used experts. Andy can be found at his website - www.vintagebats.com (http://www.vintagebats.com) and is a terrific guy. He can probably put you in touch with Clyde and Fred, as well. I used to have Fred's email but do not any longer (though I would not post it publicly even if I did have it).

Best of luck,
Reid

sylbry
06-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Very good chance of being a photomatch.

staindsox
06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I think Bryan is right on the money. It would only make sense that it had to be made up quickly and the Proshop made an error with the COA. I think this is an important example for two reasons: there are legit Twins jerseys from the team out there without the strip tagging, BUT, the LOAs from the team aren't necessarily right on the money.

Chris