PDA

View Full Version : Gloves like players use

cjclong
06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
The recent post about the ARod gloves that sold on ebay renewed my interest in how close glove makers for major league ballplayers will come to selling gloves like major league players use to the public. I have been interested in getting a couple of gloves similar to those used by several major league players. I assume they won't put the players name on it but otherwise how close will they come? I've noticed for instance that Steiner has sold some game model Mariano Rivera gloves and wondered if they were exactly like his game glove. If anyone has information on this it would be appreciated.

MooseDog
06-01-2007, 04:21 PM
You mean you'd like a glove for personal use? Or as a replica?

Before Mizuno came along in the late 1970s I think most glove were "off the shelf". When I was still playing high school and college ball my favorite was my Wilson A2000 which lasted me I think 15 years of playing through semi-pro level and which I still use today for playing catch once in a while (after a couple of restring jobs). Still feels and works great!

I remember buying a synthetic one - possibly Mizuno - in the mid 1980s but never really liked it as I couldn't get it to form the way my A2000 fit. As I recall (somewhat dimly) I think that one actually broke pretty quickly.

Frankly I'm not sure how good the current generation of gloves are but for this old fart give me that old leather any day.

stlbats
06-01-2007, 11:31 PM
If you are looking for just the exact same glove that some players wear, you can buy them. Rawlings, Mizuno, Wilson, ect. Places like Baseball Express has them. They even have in their catalog on some gloves, written "exact glove worn by". Professional model gloves are expensive though. Look to pay around $249 or so for most gloves.

Jason