PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gwynn wearing another players' jersey on baseball card...

kylehess10
05-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I was looking through my old box of cards and found an unusual Tony Gwynn card. At first I saw SANDERS on the nameplate on the back of the jersey of the player in the picture so I had thought that it was just an error card, but after the reading the back I had found out that I was wrong. It's still Tony Gwynn! It says on the card: "Gwynn confused onlookers by donning Padres pitcher Scott Sanders' jersey for a spring training game." Would anybody happen to have any specific information about the day he wore this jersey and why?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/ctmpphpc9pTck.jpg

Canseco44
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
I believe I read in a recent issue of Beckett Baseball Card Monthly that this card actually did not picture Gwynn, but another player who briefly played for them. I thought it was in the small Errors and Variations article that is usually printed somewhere throughout the issue in the card pricing section. Does anyone else remember this. I'm sure it was in one of this years issues.

Todd

kylehess10
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I believe I read in a recent issue of Beckett Baseball Card Monthly that this card actually did not picture Gwynn, but another player who briefly played for them. I thought it was in the small Errors and Variations article that is usually printed somewhere throughout the issue in the card pricing section. Does anyone else remember this. I'm sure it was in one of this years issues.

Todd

It couldn't be someone else.........Scott Sanders is white

misteremu
05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
This player looks way to skinny to be Tony Gwynn!

mvandor
05-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Not sure that is Gwynn and I'm a San Diegan that attended his final game as a Padre. He usually took the bat back further in his stance, face doesn't look quite right, and that uni looks like the one the Pads wore his last season or two when he was much heavier, unless my memory is faulty.

kylehess10
05-30-2007, 11:45 AM
and that uni looks like the one the Pads wore his last season or two when he was much heavier, unless my memory is faulty.

The card is from 1993

mvandor
05-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Not sure that is Gwynn and I'm a San Diegan that attended his final game as a Padre. He usually took the bat back further in his stance, face doesn't look quite right, and that uni looks like the one the Pads wore his last season or two when he was much heavier, unless my memory is faulty.
Googled it and got this:

1993 Upper Deck SP Tony Gwynn: Gwynn figured he'd have a little fun and wear pitcher Scott Sanders' jersey during a spring training game. He didn't have to worry that the two would be mistaken for one another: Sanders finished his career with a .194 batting average in 129 at-bats; Gwynn had a .338 average in 9,288 at-bats, including eight batting titles.

Assume it's what's on the back of the card, so presume it's true. Sounds like somethin' T. Gwynn would do.

flaco1801
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
that dont look like tony to me either