PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds being... Barry Bonds

metsbats
05-29-2007, 07:48 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/05/28/bc.bbo.bonds.hallartifa.ap/index.html

Why would the Hall want this stuff anyway?

David

hblakewolf
05-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Don't think for a second that Bonds is taking this stance based strictly on donating items to the Hall. This is much, much bigger.

In my opinion, this is part of a bigger scheme that relates back to his "BONDS 25" memorabilia sales. We’ve already heard from his ex-partner/associate that Bonds did not pay taxes on the sales of his game used equipment. Once this surfaced, Bonds indicated that he was not aware of his items being sold nor did he authorize these items for sale. Then when confronted with his own-signed LOA's that were provided with these items, he then indicated his name was forged on these LOA's.

By him stating publicly that he owns all of his current and older game used items, it plays into his "credibility" that he did not authorize or was part of previous equipment sales. He has no choice but to take this stance, in order to build on the belief that he had no knowledge or involvement in memorabilia sales, and thus, can't be held accountable for memorabilia sales, back taxes or tax evasion.

Don't forget that his agent or handler contacted Mastro (?) about them selling a game used uniform, and demanded it be pulled or legal action would be initiated. They indicated that the uniform was illegally obtained without Bonds knowledge. The auction house did not remove it, and no legal action was taken.

Bonds must take this stance, however, it's yet to be seen what type of $$$ it will take for him to break some of his record-setting season's equipment loose.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

pietraynor
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Interesting reading..There's an obvious demand for his items, I'm waiting to see where the JRD '07 Bonds jersey finishes. I've been to Cooperstown a few times, love the place, nothing against it, but there's just as many items packed away in the bowels of the place that never see the light of day as there are displayed. Anyone remember the old SCD article sev. years back, it was like a treasure hunt in the basement!! I realize this wouldn't be the case w/Bonds items & I'm sure they'll end up w/ something from either him or the stadium (as mentioned home plate, lineup card, etc). Maybe they should be aggressive trying to obtain the record-breaking ball. Seems like it may be the 1 thing out of his control. It may find it's way back to Bonds after the homer, maybe not. Will it hit the auction block? Will the guy/gal who catches it keep it, saying "I take care of me" (Hehe!)? Will the Hall of Fame offer a "Million Dollar" reward like a certain auction house did? I recently visited the Reds Hall of Fame, there's a pic of Pete Rose spreading out jerseys (6 or 7) in the dugout to be worn during his record-breaking hit game 4192. How many jerseys will Bonds wear in the game when/if he breaks the record? Just some thoughts. Jay

staindsox
05-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Just wanted to throw out a reminder that the Hall doesn't purchase any artifacts. Also, the Hall is not unique in its displays in that every museum only displays 10% of its holdings...its the way museums are.

Chris

psmachetti
05-29-2007, 03:49 PM
[quote=pietraynor;41499] I've been to Cooperstown a few times, love the place, nothing against it, but there's just as many items packed away in the bowels of the place that never see the light of day as there are displayed.

I was at Cooperstown earlier this month and they had a presentation w/ a Hall employee . He brought up some stuff from the basement to talk about. Acording to the person at Cooperstown only 8% of the total memorabilia is actually on display at any given time.
Paul

stlbats
05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
The Hall should give him back the dozen or so things they already have of him. :D

Get a life Barry!

Jason

Vintagedeputy
05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Bonds is a putz, always has been, always will be

sfgiants452
05-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Well I wouldnt want to give my stuff away either. If the Hall of Fame doesnt display it, it is going to be sitting in a storage room or basement doing absolutely nothing. I would want it to be hanging on my wall or give it to someone special in your family like his son. It is not mandatory to give everything you have to the HOF.

Anthony

JETEFAN
05-30-2007, 08:29 AM
I would think they need all that extra stuff so they can change the displays every once in a while, if the displays never change why would anyone go back. I have been there several times and there is always something new to see.

George

allstarsplus
05-30-2007, 08:54 AM
http://webmail.aol.com/27481/aol/en-us/Mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.16013786&folder=Old+Mail&partId=5

Cha-ching. Barry is introducing a new ball for only $500!!!!!!!!!! This is different from the previous 73 HR 10/4/01 balls because he writes out H-o-m-e-R-u-n.....

I guess we will see next the 756 H-o-m-e-R-u-n xx/xx/07 at a cost of $X,000 soon.

I have always felt that Barry is Barry and does what he wants and you either love him or hate him. I used to like Barry (pre-2002) and had a large collection of his stuff and sold most of it.

We can all sit back and watch the soap opera play out----oh yah, that's right....the "Bonds on Bonds" show has no new episodes! http://www.wsoctv.com/sports/9322331/detail.html

Andrew

stlbats
05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Well I wouldnt want to give my stuff away either. If the Hall of Fame doesnt display it, it is going to be sitting in a storage room or basement doing absolutely nothing. I would want it to be hanging on my wall or give it to someone special in your family like his son. It is not mandatory to give everything you have to the HOF.

Anthony

The trouble with Bonds is he couldnt care less about his stuff, he just doesnt want anyone else to have it or especially sell it. He keeps all his stuff in some warehouse. He thinks he is bigger than the game, bigger than the Hall of Fame.

Jason