PDA

View Full Version : Help on a bat question, regarding pine tar application etc.

Number9
05-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Please pardon my ignorance as I'm a new bat collector. But could you guys look at this photo and tell me if the lines are from tape being removed or if a pine tar rag is course and that causes lines like this? I confess I have never seen a pine tar rag.
This is my Michael Barrett bat I am selling on ebay and I just assumed those lines are from tape once being on the bat, so that is what I said in the ad, but now that I think about it, that is too high for tape, the 'lines' go in different directions unlike a spiral tape job, they are under the pine tar, and most importantly now that I have a few bats I see the same type lines on other bats where pine tar has been applied a good bit.
Is the pine tar rag course and does it cause these lines when it is rubbed into the bat????? If so, I am surprised by how straight the lines are.
Please see this photo:

Thanks to anyone willing to respond.
Thanks. Mike

Carlevv
05-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Interesting to say the least. It looks like it could be criss cross tape. Some bats just are made with bigger grooves (laithe) (spelling) so pine tar really brings them out that way also. Not sure on this one though. I dont think its a big deal though. As far as pine tar rags go all they are is a towel with the liqued soaked in it. Some teams actually make them with a towel and tape but most have a custom nylon backing with a towel or washcloth material to absorb the pine tar. Hope i helped a little.

Number9
05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi Carlev,
Thanks for the info. You make a good point about the lathe. Maybe that is what I am seeing on other bats and maybe this Barrett had tape at some point. It just seems awfully high up the handle to have tape.
Thanks.

Mike