PDA

View Full Version : Marino Gamer

aeneas01
05-27-2007, 05:09 AM
call me jaded, but i suspect we will soon see an "authentic game used" marino helmet from his days at pitt surfacing before long given the gem (pictured below) that just sold on ebay for $1,500. heck, it might even earn a loa even though it won't be legit.

i just think that the temptation will simply be too great and someone will eventually and easily turn this 1982 max pro beauty into a photo-matched "marino gamer".

so keep your eyes open.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/82pitt1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/82pitt2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/82pitt5.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/72916321.jpg

DrJ
05-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I've been reading your threads. Have you ever had any positive helmet collecting experiences you can share with us or are they all negative?

aeneas01
05-28-2007, 04:45 AM
I've been reading your threads. Have you ever had any positive helmet collecting experiences you can share with us or are they all negative?

sorry that my posts struck you as negative - my intent was to offer what i deemed helpful information regarding sellers who would intentionally attempt to misrepresnt their helmets as "authentic", "game worn" or "game used" in an effort to make a bigger sale.

as far as your question is concerned (if i've "ever had any positive helmet collecting experiences") - yes, i've had many and would be happy to share them with you if you are really interested...

DrJ
05-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Yes, I was serious. I've been collecting helmets for a while and would like to hear some positive experiences to give me a warm fuzzy feeling about this hobby. I personally don't think anyone would take that Pitt helmet and make it something it's not, it's rare enough as it is. Let's hope it remains original. Thanks.

aeneas01
05-29-2007, 04:59 AM
I personally don't think anyone would take that Pitt helmet and make it something it's not, it's rare enough as it is.

ironically drj, it's the same rarity you mention that makes it such an ideal candidate for misrepresentation imho. and, needless to say, i think it's a pretty safe bet that the price an authentic 1982 game used marino pitt helmet would dwarf that of an authentic 1982 game used rob fada pitt helmet at any auction - especially when one considers the marino helmet that went for $35k at heritage. whether or not the beauty that sold on ebay one day falls into the hands of someone that can't resist shooting for a big pay day remains to be seen...

Yes, I was serious. I've been collecting helmets for a while and would like to hear some positive experiences to give me a warm fuzzy feeling about this hobby.

i've had many, many great experiences including dealing with some of the most honest folks you would ever want to meet as well as chatting with some of the most knowledgeable, warmest and interesting people in the football business.

some of my favorite experiences include:

chatting at length with russ hawkins, the gentleman who has personally painted michigan's helmets for the last 40 years - he is the kindest person in the world and a national treasure as far as the history of footballs are concerned imo - and, in his mid 70s, he is still painting the blue and maize. when speaking with him you can't help but feel a link to a special era in football long since past nor can you help but feel that one less connection to that era will be gone forever when he calls it quits.

chatting with college and pro equipment mangers - probably the most accessible folks of any football program and probably the nicest. chatting at length with todd hewitt of the rams was one of my favorite experiences - just one of the greatest guys in the world. he's been with the rams for over 20 years and his dad was the rams' equipment manager before him.

chatting at length with a couple of the equipment designers at rawlings - fantastic guys with a wealth of wonderful stories and information they are willing to share. one of the guys, bob, was custom fitting a glove for a cards' player sitting next to him during one of our conversations - it was a hoot. i told him i would be more than happy to call back when he wasn't busy and he told me that he's always busy and chats on the phone when working! he would chat with me at length and then tell me to hold on while he said a few words to the cards' player then he would continue chatting with me - it was a trip.

chatting at length with jim parker of helmet hut - an incredibly warm and special guy who shared some wonderful stories with me. he told me about the days when his father would take him to watch the lions train and about the time when his mom, after watching him try to paint lion logos on his toy helmet, surprised him with real lions decals which she managed to get by contacting the lions front office. gotta love moms!

i have also had great experiences dealing with other collectors/dealers - outstanding experiences as a matter of fact. ebayers that i would highly recommend include:

howie1475 - he's the guy that sold the beautiful pitt maxpro pictured in this thread. i purchased a beautiful game used clearshell kelley (pitt) from him.

garbagecoon - a great guy who gets his hands on some of the nicest vintage helmets and baseball gloves i have ever seen. vintage suspension helmets, beautiful clearshells (kelley, maritta, mac, etc,), beautiful leather helmets, etc. he doesn't waste his time on crappola - only sells beautiful merchandise.

bjmoose - an apparent endless supply of game used high school football helmets which are perfect for reproduction projects. he's a great guy and you can pick up a great used project helmet from him a fantastic price.

capecollector - another great guy that gets his hands on new old-stock football helmets from sporting goods stores. often has mint vinatage rawlings helmets for sale although they are almost always not pro/college models.

bernstein2 - this guy sells beautiful reproduction helmets that he makes himself and he does a first-rate job on them. he could easily do what the crook "lambeauleeper" does (claim that his reproductions are game used, game issued, from reliable sources, etc.) but instead sells his perfect reproductions as just that, reproductions. his attention to detail is every bit as good as lambeauleeper's but his helmets sell for a fraction of what lambeauleeper's sell for because of his honesty.

atticaacn - a great guy who sells some of the most beautiful vintage helmets you will ever see - some game used and untouched and others that he has restored to their original beauty. at one time had probably the biggest personal collection of rare, brown schutt facemasks. he's a class act.

offthebench - a big washington cougars fan, collector and dealer who seems to have an endless supply of circa '60s and '70s suspension helmets (although i believe that i have purchased most his stock!). just a great guy with great, authentic game used helmets.

welileracing - another honest dealer of self-made reproduction helmets who lists them as that, reproductions. another honest guy who chooses to deal fairly even though he could easily do what lambeauleer does - claim that his helmets are "game issued".

gridman80 - this guy has one of the most incredible collections of vintage game used pro helmets you will ever see - i mean we are talking hall of fame quality! from time to time he will list a couple of his items, items well worth owning!

DrJ
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I appreciate your post. I recognize most of those ebayer's you spoke about and it's good to know that they are recommended. Thanks.