PDA

View Full Version : This is unbelievable!

metsbats
05-24-2007, 09:05 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/05/24/hancock.lawsuit.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

David
05-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Surprising they didn't sue manufacturer of the phone he was talking on.

Swoboda4
05-25-2007, 02:01 AM
...or his family that he probably inherited the legally established disease of alcoholism.

skipcareyisfat
05-25-2007, 07:50 AM
....or the maker of that glass pipe Josh was smoking, while he was on the phone and driving drunk.

Dean Hancock needs to get a job.

ironmanfan
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
..and you wonder why you pay the insurance premiums you do. Even if any of the entities sued aren't liable, there is still going to be legal expenses to either remove or exonerate them

Jags Fan Dan
05-25-2007, 09:48 AM
I agree with all of the posts made so far. My initial feeling when I saw this story was disgust and outrage that anybody would blame others for the death of a drunk driver.

jdr3
05-25-2007, 11:19 AM
The jockey Eddie Schumaker did the same thing. He rolled his SUV while drunk as hell and then successfully sued the bar, the car maker and a few others I can't recall. It's one thing to come up with these asinine law suits, it's another for 12 idiots on the jury to agree that a drunk driver was the victim.

skipcareyisfat
05-25-2007, 11:29 AM
I feel especially bad for the driver of the broken down car. On top of paying to fix whatever happened to his car, now he has to go out and get a lawyer. This kind of stuff makes me wonder how it's possible for any business to survive.

mr.miracle
05-25-2007, 12:21 PM
As a manager who works in a Restaurant/Bar, I can say that the only possible responsible party here besides Josh Hancock himself for getting behind the wheel of a vehicle when intoxicated would be if the bartender serving him did not cut him off before he became too drunk to function. As sad as this is in today's society where everyone wants to sue somebody and blame everything on everyone else; there have been a number of successful lawsuits and fines levied against not only the individual responsible for overserving but the establishment as well. I can understand the families grief but for god sake, nobody forced this young man to drink and to try to hold everyone else responsible for his actions is completely irresponsible.

geoff
05-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I am a Bartender and I have to cut people off all the time.They get mad most of the time.My feeling is that if you are getting wild and loud you get cut off because off other customers in the bar.I tell them to go drink somewhere else but not here.Geoff

89ASMVPBats
05-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Losing a son is just awful, but I'm with Skip, Dean Hancock lost a lot of sympathy points when he sued the poor guy with the broken down car. Luckily, the driver's insurance company will take care of the legal defense and the suit against him will likely be dismissed early on in the proceedings.

drew

eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com

David
05-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Duly note, that Hancock was in the process of driving to another bar.

tigerhidden
05-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Initial reports said he was offered a taxi and refused it, so I don't see how any one else is liable except for the idiot who was drinking and driving.

metsbats
05-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Perhaps he 's suing for lost future income? Not sure what Josh was making at the time of his death and how much he saved.

Here's another question.

Does MLB provide Josh Hancock's dependents most likely his parents since he was single insurance death benefits. Remember with Cory Lidle there were questions surrounding insurance payments to his wife because he may have been piloting the plane.

What happens in this case?

David

David
05-25-2007, 09:02 PM
My point was that, as he was going to another bar (presumably to drink more), whether or not the bartender cut him off might be considered a moot point. One way or the other, Hancock was going to continue drinking.