PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on this Rams jersey?

TomTimmerman
05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this Rams jersey. I found a few pictures on Getty and the spacing under the top of the 6 and 2 look different. Just wondering if there's any chance this could be real. Thanks,
Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180119536750&rd=1&rd=1

PS No, I'm not related.

whatupyos
05-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Looks good to me. I have an Adam Archuleta white game used jersey from the same year. I know mine is good because there are some small team repairs to the jersey where material is sewn over a few holes/tears. Looks good to me but I'm no expert.

Aaron

TomTimmerman
05-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I'll see if I can post pics. Looking more closely, the two on the front is completely different.

TomTimmerman
05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Replying to myself again, but I just noticed that this is the same seller that has the Alstott jersey questioned in another post. Here's the response I received when I mentioned that the numbers don't match Getty images.

"if you are referring to Holt and Az-Hakim they indeed wore these numbers but Holt changed when Hakim left and took his number. I can only represent these as game jerseys and they apppear way too clean to have been worn. Look at my Alstott. That's what happens when their worn."

But the title says "Game Worn"

Oh well.

mvandor
05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Checked pics from early and late 2001 and fonts CLEARLY do NOT match. Bogus.

hblakewolf
05-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Looks good to me. I have an Adam Archuleta white game used jersey from the same year. I know mine is good because there are some small team repairs to the jersey where material is sewn over a few holes/tears. Looks good to me but I'm no expert.

Aaron

Aaron-
Tell me your kidding? You base the authenticity of your jersey strictly on the fact that it has repairs? What about the fonts, tagging, nameplate design, etc.?????

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Eric
05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Please also note that the number was signed AND THEN stitched on to the jersey. Notice the stitches covering the signature

Eric

Jags Fan Dan
05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Also, in looking at his Hakim jersey, I noticed Jim Yackel has one from the same year and it is a size 46 with no length added, this guy's is a 50 with 4 inches added? I'm no expert, but that seems like a pretty big difference for the same year for the same player.

mvandor
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Please also note that the number was signed AND THEN stitched on to the jersey. Notice the stitches covering the signature

Eric
Man you have an eagle eye! Nice one.

TomTimmerman
05-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Eric,
That is a good catch, but the white and the gold stitching are both on top of the signature. I'm trying to imagine how the gold/white numbers were signed and then stitched. Is the gold number attached to the white number in some other way?

Tom

otismalibu
05-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Is the gold number attached to the white number in some other way?

I'm guessing they were heat pressed together first. There's a heat activated adhesive on the backs of the numbers. On hoops jerseys I've seen (with double twill numbers) sometimes they heat press & sew the top number to the bottom first, (leaving only one stitch line inside the jersey when the number is attached to the jersey), and other times I've seen them both heat pressed & sewn in place, which leaves a double stitch line inside the jersey.

Not sure if I'm using the proper terminology...Lon would be the expert in this area.

Birdbats
05-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm not an expert on Rams jerseys, but I've seen a few. I recall the Rams changed their uni font in 2001. In 2000, the first season of the new blue and gold design, the numbers had sharp corners (like the Timmerman jersey on eBay). In 2001, they changed to numbers that were more rounded (as seen in the game photos posted of Timmerman).

The NFL Auctions signed/cut jerseys from the era are not consistent. I've seen a Warner tagged from 2000 with rounded numbers. I've seen Holt and Proehl jerseys tagged from 2001 with the old numbers. And I've seen jerseys from 2000 and 2001 with the correct numbers. My hunch is that when they mocked up these shirts to be signed and auctioned, they just grabbed whatever blank jersey was available and attached whatever numbers were autographed by the player. So, you had players signing "new" digits and having them attached to 2000 jerseys, players signing "old" digits and having them sewn to 2001 jerseys, etc.

The Timmerman on eBay probably is one of these. While the title says it's game used, the description suggests it's simply a game cut. It's probably "real" in the sense it was made up by the Rams and signed by Adam... but since the Rams didn't use 2000 numbers on 2001 jerseys, I think it would be a stretch to call it game used.

gamer2012
05-23-2007, 11:50 PM
if im not mistaken in 2001 Rams started using We-Trak tags inside of the collar of most game used jersey.