PDA

View Full Version : Can Players "Order" Issue Jerseys?

saintsfan
05-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I know a kid who just signed as a free agent in the NFL. Would it be too forward to ask him to "order" one of his jerseys for me? He has never been in a game so it can't be a gamer but it would be nice being from the team and all.

Might have to pay $300 or so for a new one.

Anyone ever done this?

Tom

Eric
05-19-2007, 02:17 PM
I know a kid who just signed as a free agent in the NFL. Would it be too forward to ask him to "order" one of his jerseys for me? He has never been in a game so it can't be a gamer but it would be nice being from the team and all.

Might have to pay $300 or so for a new one.

Anyone ever done this?

Tom

Tom
I don't know what the etiquette is, but if I knew someone in the pros it would be cool have a game issued jerseys of his. I'm not sure if you're a rookie free agent if you can be asking for things like extra jerseys if you're working just to make the team. Am I correct in assuming he's a rookie FA?
What team was he signed by?

Also, please make sure to include your whole last name in your member profile. According to the forum rules, people must register with a valid first and last name.
Thanks and welcome to the site.
Eric

Carlevv
05-19-2007, 04:38 PM
The equipement guy will order as many jersey's as the guy would want. I used to work in a clubhouse and guys did it all the time. I dont wanna stir anything up but guys would order jerseys and sign them as game used. The player would have to pay for them but paying 100 a jersey and selling them for 1000 is a great profit.

Eric
05-19-2007, 04:52 PM
That's interesting. What kind of job did you have in the clubhouse?

Would the players ask the team for the jerseys? Or did the player have to ask the manufacturer?

Here's an odd question- could the players ask for issued jerseys of any player? or just themselves?

Carlevv
05-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I was a clubbie. The players and its plural because more than one would do it would ask the equipement manager to order them. The players would write a check to the company who made the jerseys directly. Players only ordered thier own jerseys. They were tagged exactly like game jerseys. Shady is the only word that comes to mind now that i think about it.

hiramman
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
What's a clubbie? What clubhouse, what sport & what team? These are burning questions I'm sure everyone wants to know. Matter of fact, what players? If you're going to put it out there, put it out there. Or is this all top secret or somethng?

Carlevv
05-19-2007, 09:04 PM
I'd rather not say what team or what players. I dont want to make anyone mad by disclosing that. I'd really make the players, the dealers, and the ones who bought jerseys mad. There's a rule that what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. Maybe im a little out of line in the first place here but thats in the past now. I worked 10 years in a clubhouse and have seen SO many things that unfortunately i'll never be able to come out and share. And no im not the Mets steroid guy and no i never saw anyone inject anything into anyone. Sorry for stirring the pot here but i was just answering the question in the thread. Thanks for the time. Great fourm by the way.

MooseDog
05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
A good friend of mine was a long time clubbie for a West Coast team and he basically at one time told me exactly what Carlevv said so I can sort of verify what he is saying does happen more than we probably want to know as collectors.

Carlevv
05-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I saw it happen for the first time in 2000. The teams that i saw that were allowing this finally realized what was going on and frowned upon it. They would change a set tag a little so the front office could tell it wasnt the team bought jersey's being re-sold. So funny that players and teams care so much about money being made like this. They need to worry about other things like pitching and defense.

Eric
05-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I saw it happen for the first time in 2000. The teams that i saw that were allowing this finally realized what was going on and frowned upon it. They would change a set tag a little so the front office could tell it wasnt the team bought jersey's being re-sold. So funny that players and teams care so much about money being made like this. They need to worry about other things like pitching and defense.

Carlevv-
Do you collect game used jerseys? As someone who knows what it was like from the inside, I'd be interested to know what's in your collection.
Thanks
Eric

Carlevv
05-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Eric, i have a bunch of great bats from most of the stars in the last 10 years. I also have a couple of pretty cool gloves. Also a few more very rare items that i might sell one day.

saintsfan
05-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Eric,

The fellow is a FA with the Packers.

Tom

Eric
05-20-2007, 04:45 PM
tom

interesting stuff. i hope the guy makes the team.

also, please change your profile to include a valid last name. all users must agree to sign up with a valid first and last name in order to post.

thanks
eric

saintsfan
05-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Eric,

I thought I fixed my profile, but maybe it didn't stick. Please check. Tom Marcotte

lund6771
05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I had a friend who was a bat boy for a long time...I've seen & heard a lot of crazy stuff as well...this was in the early 90's when players didn't know the value yet

madlab7
05-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Carllevv,
I am currently a clubhouse manager for a minor league team and can fully understand what you are saying about seeing things that others do not. While I am a clubbie for a minor league team, I have had the chance to work Spring Trainings and have seen the guys order stuff for the new seasons as well. Also, I have never seen someone order stuff another guy, so I am pretty sure that you can only order of yourself.