PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Ted Williams shirt from 1947

reed1216
05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I received an email update from Rich, of Grey Flannel. While not a potential bidder for this item, I am registered to bid, so I receive periodic updates from them regarding issues. One issue was that MEARS apparently declined to authenticate a 1947 Ted Williams jersey. As a result, the item was pulled and sent to a forensic examiner. The results are posted to a link below...
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?lot=508&submit=Submit&SearchLot=1

I don't know too much about forensics or jerseys of this time period. It does strike me that Grey Flannel did do their due dilligence in pulling the item, pending the examination. According to the initial email, they were going to ask the consignor to sell the jersey in a future auction, should the results be positive (which they appear to be). Thoughts...??

hblakewolf
05-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Although Grey Flannel had a company conduct information on the FABRIC, I don't see any information relating to the other issues that MEARS surfaced, including the number change, sleeve length, etc.????

The MEARS post from their site is below that outlines the various issues with this shirt:

Subject: Ted Williams 1946-1947 Boston Red Sox Home Jersey

For the purpose of description and evaluation purposes, this jersey is described as a 1946-1947 Ted Williams Boston Red Sox Home Jersey. The basis for this description includes the jersey style (zipper front) and lettering, player identification by numeral 9 and name sewn in black thread on white felt swatch in the collar.

Team/Period Exemplar Comparison: This shirt was compared to the following other jerseys by team, date, and manufacturer:

-1946 Mike Ryba Home Red Sox Jersey (Mastro, December 2004-Lot # 1415.
-1946 Ted Williams Home Red Sox Full Uniform (Grey Flannel November 1999, Lot # 1. Attributed to the 1946 World Series with provenance line of Ted Williams to the Family of former Boston Mayor Heinz.

The jersey is tagged at a size 46 as indicated by the size tag sewn in the collar to the right of the McAullife tag. The McAullife tag is appropriate for this period as is the size indicator. This jersey does measure out to be a size 46 jersey as well.

Period Player Size comparisons for Ted Williams are as follows from the MEARS data base:

1939 Williams Road Jersey; Spalding: Size 44
1940 Williams Home Jersey; Spalding: Size 44
1940 Williams Home Jersey; Spalding: Size 44
1941 Williams Road Jersey; Spalding/McAullife Size 44
1946 Williams Home Jersey; McAullife: Size 44 (GF Example above)
1948 Williams Home Jersey; Wilson: Size 44
1951 Williams Home Jersey; Wilson/McAulliffe: Size 46
1953 Williams Home Jersey; McAullife: Size 46
1954 Williams Home Jersey; McAullife: Size 46

Jersey construction: The most defining characteristic of this jersey and the one that permits a date range to be applied is the presence of a zipper front. Photographs confirm that this style was worn by the Red Sox in 1946 World Series and for a least a portion of the subsequent 1947 season. An oddity with respect to this jersey can be found with respect to the manner in which to red soutache braid has been applied to the arms. It is sewn on the inside of the jersey as opposed to the outside as should be expected. This is inconsistent with both the previous Grey Flannel exemplar as well as a photograph of Ted Williams in a zippered home Red Sox jersey that be found as the cover image of The Golden Age of Baseball, Publications International, LTD 2003. The same photo can be found on page 33 of Ted Williams by Rick Wolf (this photo indicates it is from the 1946 All Star Game held in Fenway Park. This attribution is supported by video footage from the 1946 All Star Game that can be seen in Baseball Classics: The All Star Game from Ruth to Mays: Converted to video by Rare Sportsfilms, Naperville, IL.)

I have provided full color 1:1 scale copies of the above mentioned jersey to highlight a couple of problematic areas with respect to jersey construction and what appears to be with the possibility that the numeral 8 was applied to this jersey prior to the current numeral 9. I draw your attention to my annotations made on Plates I and Plate II:

For Plate I:
There appear to be outlines in the form of the McAullife style numeral 8 both in form of fabric bleed from the under sewn black felt fabric in the two color red over black numerical application. There also appears to be a similar pattern from previous seam wear also indicative of the numeral 8.

For Plate II:
There appears to be a rather clean area on an otherwise consistently soiled back of the jersey that just happens to be located in the same size and location as the area of the jersey that would have been covered by a possibly previously applied numeral 8.

Additionally, a comparison of the numeral 9 and the lettering of the word RED SOX will show that the base color of the numeral 9 is much lighter or faded shade than the base color below the red in RED SOX. This is also indicative that they have not been on the jersey for the same period of time.

In addition to these issues, there appears to be problems with the fabric for both the swatch and chain stitching of Williams in terms of being from the same period as the rest of the jersey. Although the application appears correct in that it sewn below the collar fold (see page 173 of The Chronicle of Baseball: A Century of Major League Action by John Mehno), you will see a picture of Hal Wagner from the back in the 1946 World Series. The distinct rectangular shape of the sewing outline of the player identification is readily apparent.

When you examine the Williams under UV light, you notice that it gives off a strong florescent glow. This effect can be caused by detergent, but most often is a sign of a more modern fabric that contains synthetic fibers or materials. This does not appear to have been caused by detergent as it appears isolated to the felt swatch and chain stitching. For comparison, I also examined and photographed the felt swatches and chain stitching on the following jerseys that are in my on-hand collection of common period exemplars:

1946 NY Giants Home Jersey (46-1)
1946 Chicago Cubs Home Jersey (Robert Chipman)
1950 Boston Braves Road Jersey (Southworth Mgr
1954 Chicago White Sox Home Jersey (1954)
1958 Boston Red Sox Home Jersey (58)
1960 Cleveland Indians Home Jersey (1960)
1969 Seattle Pilots Road Jersey (Morris 44)
1970 California Angles Road Jersey (Koning)

To me this suggests that the swatch was likely manufactured (wool blend with synthetic fibers) and applied after the period of the jersey and very possibly after Ted Williams career ended in 1960.

Based on the aforementioned observations and anomalies, I believe that it would not be an accurate or objectively defendable position to consider this jersey to be one manufactured for use by Ted Williams in 1946-1947 while he played with the Boston Red Sox. It is my opinion that this jersey is a correct period McAullife jersey that has been altered and constructed in order to meet the description of a 1946-1947 Ted Williams Boston Red Sox Home Jersey.

Dave Grob
MEARS
------------------------------------------------------------

It has never been the opinion of MEARS that collectors should only rely on our letters or just one opinion. But, we do feel that in instances where two opinions were given on an item that the customer should be provided with both opinions so that they can evaluate all of the facts for themselves.

This letter and all items deemed "unable to authenticate" is available to MEARS members in the jersey and bat trade index.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Kinunen

Possibly Troy can further comment on the latest findings provided by Grey Flannel.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

BoneRubbedBat
05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Per Richard Russek's e-mail:

"We have just received the forensic results on lot 508, the 1947 Ted Williams Boston Red Sox Game-Used Home Flannel Jersey. They were completely in our favor and all materials and thread were found to be of the period. Below is a link to the actual letter. If you have difficulty reading it, copies will be made available."

I did not see anywhere in the letter where it stated that the threads were of the period. In fact, if you read the letter closely, it states that the threads ARE different. The label is attached with a Z-spun, 2-ply S-spun non-mercerized fiber of lower quality than the jersey seam stitching, which is an S-spun, 2-ply Z-spun partially-mercerized thread of a higher quality.

Mercerize - to treat (cotton yarns or fabric) with caustic alkali under tension, in order to increase strength, luster, and affinity for dye.

I fail to see how these results are in Grey Flannel's favor. Like Howard stated, the forensic exam does not discuss the other discrepancies that were noted by MEARS.

David
05-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Just as a note-- I'm no cloth expert, but I checked into the forensic company and it appears reputable. The president was the head conservator at a textile museum and a guest lecturer at a top art conservation college department.

kingjammy24
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
interesting post at mears:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dating of the Grey Flannel Ted Williams Jersey
May 11 2007 at 9:02 AM

Here is the exchange I had with Diedre Windor of Windor Conservation:

Greetings. My name is Troy R. Kinunen and I am the president and CEO of MEARS, (MEMORABILIA EVALUATIONS AND RESEARCH SERVICES). My company was asked to give an opinion on the jersey in question and I am curious about some of your findings.

In the opening sentence,

"Fiber and structural analysis of a signature label on a Ted Williams Red Sox Baseball Jersey, circa 1946-47 was conducted by Diedre Windsor..."

The reason why I highlite this fact was I have a question. Were you able to determine that the samples tested were from 1946-47?

I see where you state that the label Fiber is 100%, the Label Thread is 100% cotton, and the signature thread is 100% cotton. Does these facts help determine the jersey was issued for the timeframe of 1946-1947. Richie Russek of Grey Flannel has asked that I review (http://www.network54.com/Forum/427155/message/1178899334/Dating+of+the+Grey+Flannel+Ted+Williams+Jersey#) my original findings and I would like some clarification of these points before doing so.

If you have any specific questions, you may contact me at 414-828-9990.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Kinunen
President MEARS

Here is the response I recieved this morning:

Hi Troy,

In hindsight, I should have noted the possible date of the jersey was in question and was based on other construction details noted by Nick Copolla. I can only determine what the fiber content is for each one analyzed as well as structural analysis of each fabric or element examined. Other known examples of jerseys must be studied of the same period for comparison.

With regards to the cotton, the one that is mercerized only proves it is post 1845 when mercerization came about. There was no evidence of post war synthetics which might indicate a later application. With microscopic fiber identification or any other scientific analysis, it is not possible to date it within the margin of an exact year or in fact verify an exact time period. Other manufacturer's construction details must be taken into account to give evidence to a given time frame and Nick provides this information.

Sincerely,

Deirdre Windsor
-------------------------------------------------------------------

rudy.

hblakewolf
05-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Rudy-
Based on this type of fabric dating analysis/technique (and completely disregarding all other aspects of a garment including trim, visible number changes, etc.), can I assume that a grey knit button-down jersey with an outline of 14 on the back however, with a navy and white 2 can be attributed to Derek Jeter and considered a legit Yankees gamer? I can send it to the same fabric "expert" as noted and I'm sure he'll agree that the tag in the tail indicating "100% POLYESTER" dates the shirt from the early 1990's to present, as Polyester was the primary fabric used in the construction of baseball knits.

I've seen some odd ways to try to authenticate a jersey, however, basing your beliefs strictly on fabric content and completely turning a blind eye to other discrepancies is new to me.

I have a nice throw rug that my great grandparents brought over from Russia with them, via Ellis Island. I've always had my doubts about the actual age (it has a large Mickey Mouse screened on front and reads WELCOME TO DISNEY WORLD), and if it was actually from this era. Maybe I'll send it to this authenticator to try to determine if Grandpappy Wolf actaully brought it with him during his voyage from the old country.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net