PDA

View Full Version : Received my first X-Bat today..Also what is this finish on this Louisville Slugger ...

camarokids
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I have been leary of buying an X-Bat but it came from Lockerroom Memorabilia. Has anyone had dealings w/them before ? So far all seems great for me .

Heres the pics ..... A Joey Gathright Rookie bat w/ #43 from 2004 . On the X-Bat , I do notice on the center brand it does say "Professional Series" along with Pro Maple on the barrel ...

also pics of a Toby Hall with a whitish finish on top of the burnt labeling on the barrel ... Any ideas as to this finish ? I have never seen this before ....Thank you in advance ....

also I included a pic of the moon , taken w/ a digital camera ... not the best .. I have mini CCD camera I need to figure out how to use...

indyred
05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Nice bats. Does the Hall bat have any finish on the barrell end. It looks like the bottom half has been diped a few times and top looks unfinished or coated less than the bottom.

camarokids
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Nice bats. Does the Hall bat have any finish on the barrell end. It looks like the bottom half has been diped a few times and top looks unfinished or coated less than the bottom.

Hi and thanks, the Hall bat has no clear coating but is super smooth . The lower half of the bat has a ton of pine tar and below that on the handle area is lots of mota sticky stuff. The bat feels sanded smooth almost like silk. I also have a Hall Rawlings that feels almost as smooth.....
Thanks ,
David

camarokids
05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi there Everyone !

Any ideas on the Toby Hall finish .
Birdbats any ideas ? Anyone else?

Thank you!
David

Birdbats
05-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Hard to tell from photos. Maybe it's finished with paste wax. Often, when a bat is rubbed down with wax, any wax that gets into the lettering will turn white, much like the Hall bat. I don't know how common it is for Louisville Sluggers to have a wax finish or if they even do it at all. Maybe they were ordered unfinished and waxed by someone after they were received. I have no way of knowing.

Spiezio23
05-19-2007, 06:01 AM
I have a bat from a former Mariner minor leaguer and it looks almost the same as your Hall bat. What he did was take a normal LS dipped bat and he sanded down the barrel and handle of the bat, it gave it a very smooth feel/finish to the bat as well it clouded up the letters just as on your bat. The player that did this to my bat did not finish up the whole barrel portion as the point where it starts to round at the end still has some of the original coating on it from LS. I will see if I can get some pictures of mine this weekend to show what I'm talking about.

-Jeremy

camarokids
05-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Jeremy, thanks a lot !

Spiezio23
05-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Here are 2 pictures of my bat, you can kinda see it, it wasn't easy to get a clear shot of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Spiezio23/Pics/SandedBat1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Spiezio23/Pics/SandedBat2.jpg

-Jeremy

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Guys, ive seen guys spray tuff skin on their bats, ive seen them also spray tape remover on their bats. The alchohol from the chemical could cause the fading in the pictures. I also have seen guys put polyurathane (spelling) on their bats to make the ball jump a little more. Its only cheating if you get caught.

camarokids
05-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Spezio23,
I see exactly what you are saying , the white on the lettering . I think that is what happened , the bat was sanded ????

Thanks for the replys everyone!
David

Spiezio23
05-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Yea, mine has been sanded. At the end where there is still the coating from LS, you can see the grooves from the sandpaper. Turning that bat at an angle under a light you can even still see some very small areas where the wood was indented and still has the coating.

-Jeremy