PDA

View Full Version : Blyleven Angels bp jersey

sylbry
05-03-2007, 10:33 PM
This Blyleven jersey showed up on ebay. It is claimed to be a batting practice jersey from 1989-92 purchased from Dick Dobbins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290112423184&rd=1&rd=1

Two things struck me as odd. First, Blyleven wore size 48. I have his grey Angels bp jersey and it is a 48. Plus I personally asked Bert what size he wore and he said 48. Size XXL is larger than a 48.

Second, the two jerseys on Bill Henderson's style guide are Rawlings and Russell. This one is a Majestic.

http://www.mlbstyleguides.com/oldsite/angels/slides/Slide15.html

My grey Blyleven was purchased by Dobbins too. I believe the lot he purchased was of both major and minor league jerseys. Could this be a minor league jersey and not actually a Blyleven gamer?

I have limited experience with Angels jersey and would appreciate any thoughts.

Bryan

kingjammy24
05-04-2007, 12:19 AM
bryan,

i think you ought to email lon lewis for his input. his email address is somewhere on this forum.

that said, here are my thoughts:

first see:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8382

the jersey style is from 1990-92. the majestic tag, however, is from the early-mid 80s. strange huh? anyway, the jersey appears to have "majestic" sewn on the sleeve. majestic first began sewing their logo onto the sleeve in 1990 (hence this jersey couldn't be from 1989). this particular version of the sleeve logo lasted until 1993. in 1990, the jerseys bore an american flag patch for desert storm. note that in 1990, henderson states that the angels wore 2 different styles of bp jerseys. the navy pullover and the white/grey buttondowns. i have a photo of a navy pullover, with desert storm flag patch, and it's made by majestic. henderson however has a photo of a navy pullover by rawlings with a 1990 flag tag. were they supplied by 2 different manufacturers in 1990 or is one of our jerseys a minor league shirt? it's sometimes possible to differentiate between major and minor league jerseys via different manufacturers. the thing is, i don't know if the major league team wore rawlings and the minor league team wore majestic or vice versa. at a minimum, it suggests the major league club wore a different manufacturer than the minor league clubs and thus maybe they didn't recycle their jerseys? i believe the minor league teams also bore the american flag patch on their jerseys so it wasn't exclusive to the major league clubs. so if it's missing the flag patch it's probably not from 1990. it's probably not from 1992 because russell had entered the picture by then. so that leaves 1991. blyleven missed the entire 1991 season though. i don't know who made the angels bp shirts in 1991. maybe majestic? i'm sure you can find out by searching out photos. 1991 seems to be the most plausible year given that russell was making them in 1992, the flag patch was on the jerseys in 1990, and the style didn't exist in 1989.

i have a jersey of this identical style in my photo library. it's #31. it has the "majestic" sleeve logo and the "purchased from california angels" stamp. the only difference is that the majestic tag in the collar is from the late 80s-1990. i can't see whether or not it has the american flag patch. it would seem the jersey in my library is either from 1990 or 1991 then. maybe majestic made the 1991 bp jerseys?

anyway, several months ago, there was a huge sale of early-mid 90s angels bp gamers sold on ebay. i suspected they may have been recycled via the minors. as i've stated earlier, compared to game jerseys, i think BP jerseys are often a big mess to figure out. lon lewis may have some insight.

rudy.

kingjammy24
05-04-2007, 12:30 AM
incidentally, around the early 90s, the california angels had 4 minor league affiliates that also used the name "angels"; the Midland Angels, Palm Springs Angels, Quad City Angels and AZL Angels.

rudy.

hblakewolf
05-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Rudy-
As the #1 fan of Rick Schu, I purchased the attached 1990 Rick Schu pre-game from Dobbins when he purchased all of his Angels jerseys and pre-games directly from the team.

It's the blue mesh pullover made my Majestic and has the flag patch on the sleeve. 20 on the reverse in 2 color tackle twill. I've long suspected that this shirt was recycled to their minor league teams, as the patch on the sleeve looks like it was sen by a blind lady and likewise, the patch shows way too much wear for a single season's use in California.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

mchmaj
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
hey guys, i got the same angels jersey that howard wolf posted but it has #18 sewn on the back, any idea who worn #18 ??
the jersey got same wearing out FLAG on left sleeves, what i learned is that it was worn during the GULF WAR .... then maybe recycle to minor teams ....

marcus

hblakewolf
05-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Marcus-
Donnie Hill and Louis Polonia both wore 18 in 1990.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1076/angelssf7.jpg

i'm inclined to think:

1989 - rawlings
1990 - majestic (and rawlings?)
1991 - majestic
1992 - russell

if the ebay jersey has no american flag patch, then it's not a 1990. i think it's likely a 1991 jersey made up for blyleven and recycled in the minors.

rudy.

kingjammy24
05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
as well, note the difference between the majestic collar tag in howard's 1990 angels jersey and the majestic collar tag in the ebay jersey. howard's collar tag is from the late 80s-1990. the ebay jersey's collar tag is from the early-mid 80s. an anomaly i guess. maybe majestic just used an old tag by accident.

rudy.

mchmaj
05-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Marcus-
Donnie Hill and Louis Polonia both wore 18 in 1990.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net
thanks !
since u are looking for portland beavers jerseys, am wodnering if u can get some 2007 beavers game jerseys, i am looking for ryan ketchner
let me know
thanbks :)

hblakewolf
05-05-2007, 04:19 PM
The 2007 Beavers jerseys may be available after the season. I'll let you know if I can purchase his.
Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

sylbry
05-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Nice work guys! Thank you.