PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rodriguez "gamer" fielding glove ??

mrw2161
05-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone...

I am aware of the Upper Deck / Rawlings Pro6HF gloves that were a joint venture in where the "g" in Rodriguez was inverted to a "q" to prevent confusion to his real gamers. I have stumbled onto a lot of two Alex Rodriguez gloves, both I believe to be game used, but to be quite honest, no one, not even Alex or Rawlings could verify this, Rawlings did however give me a few details on the gloves, the Yankees have promised me that nothing has been stolen from their clubhouse, and these gloves, the Pro6HF and the ProRV23SO are both current models that Alex uses. Also in this small collection was a brand new Jason Giambi TPX first basemans glove, with name stitiched in white and a well-used Steve Karsay Rawlings Pro1000-9K. I believe that this entire group may have been stolen from a collection....does anyone remember seeing this group of gloves anywhere on the internet or such. I have photo matched all the gloves and I am relatively certain that they are authentic gloves.....I have placed the entire group on Ebay with hopes of finding out where these might have come from....I'm all ears....

hblakewolf
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi everyone...

I am aware of the Upper Deck / Rawlings Pro6HF gloves that were a joint venture in where the "g" in Rodriguez was inverted to a "q" to prevent confusion to his real gamers. I have stumbled onto a lot of two Alex Rodriguez gloves, both I believe to be game used, but to be quite honest, no one, not even Alex or Rawlings could verify this, Rawlings did however give me a few details on the gloves, the Yankees have promised me that nothing has been stolen from their clubhouse, and these gloves, the Pro6HF and the ProRV23SO are both current models that Alex uses. Also in this small collection was a brand new Jason Giambi TPX first basemans glove, with name stitiched in white and a well-used Steve Karsay Rawlings Pro1000-9K. I believe that this entire group may have been stolen from a collection....does anyone remember seeing this group of gloves anywhere on the internet or such. I have photo matched all the gloves and I am relatively certain that they are authentic gloves.....I have placed the entire group on Ebay with hopes of finding out where these might have come from....I'm all ears....

Can you provide some additional information about the lot? How specifically did you "stumble" onto these? Alex could not "verify" that they were used-are we rto assume you somehow met him and asked for his opinion?

Any insight on the history of these is appreciated.

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

3arod13
05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110122006783&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

mrw2161
05-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Mr. Wolf,

Thanks for your inquiry, the place that they were obtained was a store of all places in the Los Angeles area. At this time, I do not want to disclose the name of the store as they are dealing with a bit of embarassment over the whole matter. I have left the tags on the gloves which are in the photos to ascertain their origin.

This is kind of like the person who bought a piece of art at a garage sale only to find out it was an original worth $500,000, similar in nature only not in $$.

I have spoken to SEVERAL sources within professional baseball circles who are all in agreement about the authenticity of the gloves, whether or not, they are game used, in my humble belief, cannot be ascertained by anyone, including Alex.

While many claim to be able to authenticate the usage of a glove, a average player uses anywhere for 2-5 gloves a season, some less, some more, what I was implying is I would be hard pressed to believe a player who could pick up a glove and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the glove was game used, not played catch with or a spring training glove, but used in a real game, I am sure some players might be able to but it has to be difficult at best.

I will be as honest and forthright as I can be on these gloves at the moment, obviously, whoever buys them will be surprised for what was paid and where they were located....

I hope this helps and look forward to speaking again soon...

Mark

cjclong
05-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Do you know whether anyone has actually asked ARod if he can verify the gloves or are we just assuming he can't? It has been my experience that some players pay a great deal of attention to their bats, gloves, etc and are very good at identifying them while others pay little attention. Arod has always struck me as one who paid attention. I would think he would know if he had given a glove like that to someone , especially since there are two, and would certainly know if a glove was stolen from him personally.

guDon
05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Why don't you just send the gloves to his autograph rep to get them signed? Then you would hear what he had to say about them. Are you going to disclose the source of the gloves to the winning bidder?

mrw2161
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Don,

Thanks for the inquiry. If I need to get them signed I can go to Anaheim when they get here in August or I could send the gloves to any one of my several friends who are currently playing major league baseball to do it for me. I would prefer to get it done in person so to "believe it when I see it mentality". As I have said in previous posts, I am NOT a collector, never have been and probably wont be....I love the game but don't know enough about collecting to get truly involved.

In answer to your question, yes all proof tags, receipts and a letter from the person who sold them as well) of the legitimate purchase of these gloves will be provided to the buyer and a canister of oxygen as well because they will lose their breath when they hear the story.

Mark

CollectGU
05-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I've seen many Arod gloves hit the market signed by him game used or with his LOA and they sell anywhere from $2,500 - $3,500, so I am surprised that this glove is as high as it is already

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=212&lot=1265

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=305&lot=1080

Premier Auctions signed Game used in Januery 2006 auction
998http://www.premierauctionsonline.net/assets/images/new_window_icon.gif (http://www.premierauctionsonline.net/process.cfm?lID=1924) Alex Rodriguez Rawlings Signed Game Used 1998 Fielders Glove (http://www.premierauctionsonline.net/process.cfm?lID=1924&aID=12)$3,279.

3arod13
05-05-2007, 03:41 AM
I've seen many Arod gloves hit the market signed by him game used or with his LOA and they sell anywhere from $2,500 - $3,500, so I am surprised that this glove is as high as it is already

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=212&lot=1265

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=305&lot=1080

Premier Auctions signed Game used in Januery 2006 auction
998http://www.premierauctionsonline.net/assets/images/new_window_icon.gif (http://www.premierauctionsonline.net/process.cfm?lID=1924) Alex Rodriguez Rawlings Signed Game Used 1998 Fielders Glove (http://www.premierauctionsonline.net/process.cfm?lID=1924&aID=12)$3,279.

Those to gloves, even signed, don't even come close to comparing to this one that show nice game use.

CollectGU
05-05-2007, 07:40 AM
I have to disagree. Those two in Leland's show decent game use, and have direct provenance. I'd trade the wear for the provenance, but that is my personal preference...

3arod13
05-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I have to disagree. Those two in Leland's show decent game use, and have direct provenance. I'd trade the wear for the provenance, but that is my personal preference...

I remember when that personalized glove was on ebay. They seller stated that arod peronalized it and gave the glove to Cristian Guzman. Notice anything wrong with the glove...Hello...Cristian is mispelled (CHRISTIAN) After emailing the seller, he wouldn't respond anymore.

mrw2161
05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Okay, here is the most recent information on both gloves.

The Rawlings PRO-RV23SO was manufactured for Alex in August of 2006 per the date code on the glove. This glove was designed for and by Robin Ventura, thus the "RV", "23" stands for his uniform number and "SO" stands for Special Order. The glove would have been used late in the 2006 season which might explain the very minimal game usage, the sticky substance inside the palm area of the glove and over the pointer finger leads me to believe that this was a game-ready glove and very probably a game used glove. This glove might also have been used this season as well but hard to explain how the glove found it's way to the West Coast unless it came on the trip to Oakland on April 13, 14 and 15th. I have a call into the visiting clubhouse in Oakland that I will probably wont speak to until Monday.

The Pro-6HF has been examined by several people and I will abide by their instructions, this glove should be considered game-used and shows exceptional game wear. The glove is missing several things found on stock gloves and this only adds to it's mystique. I will not disclose what things are missing as it might be a tool used by authenticators and it is not my knowledge to disclose in this case. If this offends, then I apologize but the world of collectibles does not belong to me, I am a visitor here and have learned more about gloves than I knew existed, to those of you who have helped me with this, I send a sincere thank you.

I will continue to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability, however the details of the EXACT circumstances on how these gloves ended up in my hands will remain private until after the gloves have switched hands and that the buyer is in accordance with the details being released. I ASSURE you these gloves were not stolen, CERTAINLY not by me, but I suppose they might have been lifted from a clubhouse somewhere but I cannot attest to this. The gloves might have been given to someone and they just didn't know the value, these circumstances only add to the gloves sentimental value, I am having a hard time thinking about parting with these...

Talk to all of you on the circuit....

Mark

mrw2161
05-06-2007, 01:38 PM
I have received alot of questions and comments regarding when Alex might have used this glove, here are some observations and information......Alex probably used this glove last season, there are several photos of Alex using this glove from Spring Training, World Baseball Classic and the majority of the 2006 season. In late August, Alex began using a PRO-23RVSO and finished the season with that glove. There are also photos of him using it against the Red Sox and Blue Jays in September 2006. There photos of him using the glove in late August as well. This is the glove he used in the ALDS with the against the Detroit Tigers. This actual glove was made in August for Alex, I would assume that there were no early August photos of him wearing the glove. Somewhere between August 10th and 26th, 2006, the switch was made to the PRO-RV23SO

In 2006 chronological order, here is a list of the gloves Alex used last season:
Spring Training - PRO-6HF / World Baseball Classic - PRO-6HF / 2006 Yankees Season - PRO-6HF (April-August) / 2006 Yankees Season (August through Playoffs) PRO-RV23SO (Black)

For thos of you who would like to research this on your own, I suggest that you go to Getty-Images.com (http://editorial.gettyimages.com/Editorial/Sports.aspx (http://editorial.gettyimages.com/Editorial/Sports.aspx)) and conduct a search on Alex Rodriguez, this will show all news photos of Alex over the course of the 2006 season and into this season, it covers Alex's baseball career and personal life, and there are several photos of Alex using both gloves. This is a very time consuming project so do it when you have a some time.

I hope this answers alot of the questions I am getting asked, I have now developed a severe case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and will be sending all of you a partial bill for treatment....lol

Mark

mrw2161
05-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Okay, okay, the time has come for the hundreds of e-mailers who have wanted to know how and where I obtained the gloves, I direct you to click on this link (http://www.dailynews.com/ci_5859190 (http://www.dailynews.com/ci_5859190) ) which will direct you to the Los Angeles Daily News Newspaper and the story on all four gloves.....enjoy...
Mark

Eric
05-10-2007, 10:13 AM
That is a crazy story. Any idea what the catcher's gloves were?

Has anyone else ever found the real thing like this in a clothing store or thrift shop?

mrw2161
05-10-2007, 10:24 AM
They were two PRO-JP20, Posada's game model but they were not used and had no embroidery...

Mark

XPFO
05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
About 8 years ago I was garage saling with my wife and came across old boxes of football and baesball cards for 50 cents a piece (50 cents per card). Out of it I grabbed a Nolan Ryan OPC rookie card, several old football rookies...all in all my $22 I spent turned into thousands on e-bay.

sportscentury
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
That is a crazy story. Any idea what the catcher's gloves were?

Has anyone else ever found the real thing like this in a clothing store or thrift shop?

Eric,

A few months back, I was at a flea market deep in the woods. I stumbled upon Lou Lampsons' address. It even came with a Lampson LOA (which did not have his address). I called AMI to verify, but no response. Needless to say, it turned out to be fake. Very disappointing.

Reid

guDon
05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Don,

Thanks for the inquiry. If I need to get them signed I can go to Anaheim when they get here in August or I could send the gloves to any one of my several friends who are currently playing major league baseball to do it for me. I would prefer to get it done in person so to "believe it when I see it mentality". As I have said in previous posts, I am NOT a collector, never have been and probably wont be....I love the game but don't know enough about collecting to get truly involved.

In answer to your question, yes all proof tags, receipts and a letter from the person who sold them as well) of the legitimate purchase of these gloves will be provided to the buyer and a canister of oxygen as well because they will lose their breath when they hear the story.

Mark

WOW! $10,000+ for the gloves! The same guy bought both of the a-rod gloves. Good find!

cjclong
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Wanted to say I appreciated the way Mark ran the ebay auction. He gave notice so if someone wanted to report the gloves as stolen they would have an opportunity. Also felt we were given the infromation available that allowed us to make our own judgments. I bid on the gloves, but obviously I was up against somoeone with deep pockets who wanted the gloves.

3arod13
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Wanted to say I appreciated the way Mark ran the ebay auction. He gave notice so if someone wanted to report the gloves as stolen they would have an opportunity. Also felt we were given the infromation available that allowed us to make our own judgments. I bid on the gloves, but obviously I was up against somoeone with deep pockets who wanted the gloves.

I been talking to Mark prior to and throughout his auction. He's a class act! He wanted to ensure that if these gloves were stolen, whether from Arod, the Yankees, someones collection, he wanted to return the gloves to who owned them. He stressed a lot over those gloves and really didn't want them out there until he was 100% sure and also for the potential buyers piece of mind.

It's stories like these that we all deam of happening to us. Mark not only did a classy thing, but he put a little more faith in me that not everything is about the all mighty dollar.

He a great example of what a person is who has high morales, integrity, and values!

Mark, as we say in the Navy...BRAVO ZULU to you!

I also bid on one of the arod gloves. However, I knew my $3,200 bid wouldn'tcut the mustard! Oh well. I only hope the buyer comes though!

All my best, Tony

mrw2161
05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I cannot thank everyone enough for their input and assistance with this whole matter, I have gained some unfathomable knowledge and the level of integrity in which all of you held yourself to is a credit to those of you who recognize this as an incredible hobby and not always a business. While a significant amount of money was paid for the gloves, I am assured by many that these gloves have a safe home and will be treasured for years to come.

I will continue to post here for a few weeks as some of you will be very surprised where some of this money will be going....

Mark

PRiMeTiMe
05-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Im looking to buy a Pro-6HF.(Big ARod Fan) haha

What size gloves were the ones that you bought then sold? 12 or 12.25 inches?

Carlevv
05-20-2007, 07:45 PM
I have a very, very good idea where these gloves came from and im going to guess that they arent used by AROD. I will share this via private message with the admin guys if they are interested. Not sure if i want this info out but ill let the admin guys be the judge of that.

3arod13
05-21-2007, 03:37 AM
I have a very, very good idea where these gloves came from and im going to guess that they arent used by AROD. I will share this via private message with the admin guys if they are interested. Not sure if i want this info out but ill let the admin guys be the judge of that.

Very interesting. I would love to know. If possible, send me an email at both these email addresses (arod13tb@yahoo.com and anthony.baldwin@navy.mil).

Although I did bid on the arod glove, the thought was in the back of my mind that possibily someone could have taken a non-game used glove from the locker room, sold it, and then someone worked it up to look game used. I just had this happen to me recently, and luckily I recovered my money.

I'm also interested to see if any top authenticator in the hobby will authenticate the glove as "game used." We know the glove is authentic, however, what proof is there that arod used it.

The story about how the gloves were obtained was interesting. However, I just have a hard time believing that whoever had these gloves initially, was clueless to what they had.

Tony

3arod13
05-21-2007, 05:46 AM

If you do have factual information about these arod glove(s), I think it's very important to provide this information to the seller and buyer of the glove(s).

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 05:52 AM
I'll put it this way, If AROD or the Yankees didnt say a glove was missing or a glove was stolen do you really think that a real gamer just came about? I hate to put a damper on this great story but AROD gamers dont come about unless they are signed and sold for big money. I still wont say where these gloves came from but i have an idea and its a legitimate one. Hey, they are real but the person who used them IMO isnt Alex. Ill give one hint...... Watch the Yankees take batting practice and check out what the bullpen catcher is using...... Get back to me.

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 05:53 AM
I dont have factual info on these gloves. I just have a conspiricy theory. Call me crazy.

3arod13
05-21-2007, 05:57 AM
I'll put it this way, If AROD or the Yankees didnt say a glove was missing or a glove was stolen do you really think that a real gamer just came about? I hate to put a damper on this great story but AROD gamers dont come about unless they are signed and sold for big money. I still wont say where these gloves came from but i have an idea and its a legitimate one. Hey, they are real but the person who used them IMO isnt Alex. Ill give one hint...... Watch the Yankees take batting practice and check out what the bullpen catcher is using...... Get back to me.

First, I believe Arod and/or the Yankees wouldn't admit that, as they don't
want it to be known that it's even possible that things can/are stolen from the clubhouse/field.

I think if you have factual information about these gloves, then great and let it be know.

3arod13
05-21-2007, 05:59 AM
I dont have factual info on these gloves. I just have a conspiricy theory. Call me crazy.

Understand.

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 06:07 AM
First, I believe Arod and/or the Yankees wouldn't admit that, as they don't
want it to be known that it's even possible that things can/are stolen from the clubhouse/field.

I think if you have factual information about these gloves, then great and let it be know.

False, both AROD and the Yankees would let it be known that the gloves were missing and they would investigate the owner of these gloves if they were stolen. Thats easy to assume considering the importance of a gamer glove. Secondly, i dont have factual info on these gloves but trust me, i have an educated guess. Dont forget that two gloves were also catcher's mitts and they were Posada models. Interesting to say the least that every glove that the guy bought were Yankee gloves. Do you see a connection? Maybe im crazy, maybe i think i know a little too much, or maybe someone should do a little research on the Yankee bullpen catcher. This might be fun.

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 06:16 AM
If anyone is at the Yankee game tomorrow check out what the bullpen catcher is using as far as a glove in batting practice while shagging balls. Im pretty sure its an AROD black Robin Ventura model. If im wrong dissreguard anything i said in this thread. Thanks.

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Just to add a little more here, i dont think the bullpen catcher sold these gloves. I think they were his but for some odd reason they got out of his sight and in the wrong person's hands. He is from the same part of town where these gloves were re-sold. Arod gives him gloves to break in all the time and you will see him using them in batting practice. The brown version show all that use IMO because he used it for most of the season. The black one shows so much less use because Arod didnt make the switch until late in the season and the bullpen catcher only had a few weeks to try to break that one in. Check dates and you will see what i mean. Once again, call me crazy but this is what i think and i have no factual evidence to back this but im putting two and two together. Opinions?

3arod13
05-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Just to add a little more here, i dont think the bullpen catcher sold these gloves. I think they were his but for some odd reason they got out of his sight and in the wrong person's hands. He is from the same part of town where these gloves were re-sold. Arod gives him gloves to break in all the time and you will see him using them in batting practice. The brown version show all that use IMO because he used it for most of the season. The black one shows so much less use because Arod didnt make the switch until late in the season and the bullpen catcher only had a few weeks to try to break that one in. Check dates and you will see what i mean. Once again, call me crazy but this is what i think and i have no factual evidence to back this but im putting two and two together. Opinions?

Very interesting. Again, I have a difficult time believing that whomever sold those gloves to a sporting goods store, didn't know what they had. However, now based on your information, it does make sense that they knew what they had and why the person who sold them to the sporting goods store sold them for $25 a piece. Because they knew they weren't used by arod. Very interesting information/opinion.

Thanks, Tony

Carlevv
05-22-2007, 01:15 PM
You could also think that selling the gloves to that store and buying them back could cut out any question of where they originated. Just another random thought.

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
You could also think that selling the gloves to that store and buying them back could cut out any question of where they originated. Just another random thought.

Carlevv,

Interesting theory. Unless the store was in on it, how could the person who sold them to the store for $25 a piece be sure that he'd be able to buy them back at an extremely low price?

Reid

Carlevv
05-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Thats just it, maybe an employee had something to do with it? I dont know if thats even cool for me to say but hey you never know. Im just bringing up these points for the heck of it. I'd hate to discourage the guy who bought the gloves as they are really cool if you ask me. Im just stirring enquiring minds a little thats all. I like everyone else is curious how this happend so im just covering all the bases. Seems a little weird how it went down but god bless everyone involved. Its a great story.

Carlevv
06-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Confirmed today with one of the Yankee players that the bullpen catcher's car got broken in to and the gloves are stolen. FYI, AROD never used the gloves either. The bullpen catcher used the gloves and he had them in his car while he was catching someone at USC. He made a police report that someone broke into his car and stole his bag which contained the gloves. The PD is investigating the person who sold the gloves to Play It Again Sports. Hate to say i told you so but i told you so. If i was the guy who bought the gloves i'd be a little bothered but hey, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. He has two AROD gloves but they were never worn by him. Thats not cool.

CollectGU
06-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Pretty amazing info you dug up. Please keep us posted on anything else you hear. Have the winners of the auction been contacted by police to explain that they have stolen merchandise?

Regards,
Dave

3arod13
06-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Confirmed today with one of the Yankee players that the bullpen catcher's car got broken in to and the gloves are stolen. FYI, AROD never used the gloves either. The bullpen catcher used the gloves and he had them in his car while he was catching someone at USC. He made a police report that someone broke into his car and stole his bag which contained the gloves. The PD is investigating the person who sold the gloves to Play It Again Sports. Hate to say i told you so but i told you so. If i was the guy who bought the gloves i'd be a little bothered but hey, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. He has two AROD gloves but they were never worn by him. Thats not cool.

Unbelieveable! The winner of the gloves paid $10,000 total for both arod gloves. I am going to email the seller of the arod gloves with this information, as I'm sure if it's true, both he and the seller should be very concerned.

I'm also going to contact Denny Esken and make him aware of this, as he was mentioned in the article and I would hate for his name to come up if this information is true. However, Denny only stated the gloves were authentic (and they are), not game used.

If the catcher did make a police report, then it is a matter of record. If this catcher did use arod gloves to break them in before games, then the possibility of this information about these particular gloves could be very true.

What's really scary is, if these gloves are sent in to be authenticated, and are.

Carlevv
06-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I was told that if you sell something to Play it Again Sports you have to produce identification. If thats the case and the person whole had stolen the gloves was the one selling them why would he give his ID? This might be a person who had NO IDEA what he was getting him or herself into. Im not aware of Denny Eskin because ive never dealt with an authenticator but if he said these were game gloves he was correct. If he said these gloves were worn by AROD he's been mistaken. Listen, i respect the job of someone like Denny but at the end of the day the only real proof of if you have a "real game used item by the player himself" is for the player to give it to you in person or to photomatch it. The memorabilia buisiness is so shady to begin with and this story could identify with that.

sportscentury
06-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Guys,

Here's a very simple question (CarleVV, maybe you can answer this): Does *Play It Again Sports* have cameras? This is something that I've wondered from the beginning (it seems like there are cameras everywhere you go any more) because I have been curious as to who sold the gloves to PIAS in the first place. With this new information, though, I imagine any footage of the transactions would be helpful to the police.

You have to feel bad for the eBay buyer - he'll be sick to his stomach when he hears this. Hopefully, he'll be able to get his money back.

Reid

mrw2161
06-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I am responding to this as it was emailed to me from one of the many friends I made while selling these gloves.

These are the facts about these gloves, the Los Angeles Police Department was contacted as was the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department before the gloves went up on auction, they were given all pertinent information regarding the gloves and there were no "hits" on the gloves being stolen property.

As you can research in one of my first posts, I alluded to the fact I believe they might have been "stolen from a collection". I find it hard to believe that the gloves, if stolen, lasted 9 days on ebay without so much as a hit from the police, the Yankees, the bullpen catcher, his family or friends, this auction attracted worldwide attention, I was getting emails from Japan about these gloves

In retrospect, I can only speculate about the authenticity of these newest claims, I could only assume that the Yankees Clubhouse would know about the theft, I would assume that Alex would know about the theft and for the bullpen catcher to not tell anyone in the Yankees organization about this theft seems very odd to me. I did what I consider to be very thorough investigating including talking to other clubhouses and their management. I would hope that because this has now been started, the person who is alleging this will now make public the name of the player who is stating that the bullpen catcher had gloves stolen.

Let's not forget that this story became quite public in the second largest newspaper in the Southern California area and there WERE NO requests for information from the police department after the story was published. I am relatively easy to find in the LA area and I am positive that the LAPD could have found me through the author of the article. This story was circulating the Yankees clubhouse and if you think for a minute that it didn't get back to the players and coaches as well as the bullpen catcher, whom I personally placed a call to after I had heard the inital rumor, he obviously didn't feel it was important enough to return a phone call about this matter.

The USC does not have a police daprtment and all crimes on campus property are investigated by LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department). I have contacted the correct station this morning with these claims and while no one knew anything of the theft at this early stage, I am awaiting a phone call from the detectives who handle this and after speaking with them, hopefully we can put this to rest, and I really hope that is the case.

I have a call into the proper channels at USC, people that would have known if something was stolen from a car at USC and most certainly who would have allowed someone to be on the field at USC, it is not a open facility and permission to be on the field would have to be issued. I can only think that if this truly happened, it would have been between the end of the season and the beginning of Spring Training.

I must add that I find it incredibly irresponsible to post "purported" or "specualtive" claims on this or any board. I would hope that unless you are prepared to reveal ANY and ALL sources, it would be best to find another way to source your claims. I am leaving my cell phone of 805-732-3931 for anyone who wishes to contact me regarding this. I am always available to speak to and have a significant list of people that I had spoken to in my quest to find out where these gloves had came from.

While these gloves still stand by their original story, until SOMEONE, not a ghost or someone hiding behind someone else's claims, comes forth with PROOF, and I would consider the only proof to now be a police report, as it has been alluded to the fact there is an investigation, is presented, then these claims are nothing other than rumor and innuendo, should they prove to be true, then another story opens, but until then, they are nothing other then ghost stories and should be given no afterthought or relevance.

At 11:00am this morning I am expecting a very important phone call that will either end or lend credence to these allegations, I will post immediately upon completion of the phone call.

Thanks for listening,

Mark Webb

sportscentury
06-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Mark,

Very reasonable. Clearly, there are still some unanswered questions. Thanks for continuing to be active in this dialogue. No matter how it turns out, as a bystander I must say that it has been a captivating story.

Reid

mrw2161
06-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Hello again,

I have just hung up the phone with the store (Play it Again Sports) in which the gloves were purchased from and they have not been contacted by the police in any investigation about these baseball gloves.

The previous post about "police investigating who sold the gloves to the store" should be considered false and misinformation. This does not rule out as to whether or not the gloves were stolen from a car at USC, but I am working on dispelling this rumor or fact as well. A call was placed to the store about this a few weeks ago but I can imagine the call was placed by someone wishing to spread the rumor and not to substantiate it.

I have contacted the buyer this morning to inform him of the situation and he did not seem very worried. Him and I will speak again this evening and I can relay further information obtained.

As to posting this kind of information without revealing sources that you are willing to identify is as irresponsible as it can be. To attack a persons reputation either directly or indirectly as you have done is a really heinous thing to do. I want to make sure right now that Denny Esken had no part in any misrepresentation of these gloves, Denny revealed what he knew to be factual and even relayed that the gloves were probably lifted somewhere along the line, but at my insistence, he got innocently involved. I send my apologies to Denny and anyone who used his name in these posts should relook at what you wrote and make sure that in no way you have villified him for anything.

You have spread skepticism and uncertainty in a industry that is wrought with it. For what ?, to be the person who MIGHT have some information but is unable to reveal how this information came to light? If you were the person who provided the police report and put us in touch with the rightful owner and took the steps to make sure that the gloves were reunited with their proper owner and arrest and/or convict the person who might have stolen the gloves, you would have a much better argument.

You seem more interested in assuring the collecting community that the gloves are not "game used" therefore discrediting a innocent seller and a more innocent buyer. Who, if anyone, are you really looking out for ?

Any comments or questions, feel free to contact me,

Mark

3arod13
06-10-2007, 02:26 PM
I have to argee with Mark. He has done everything to get the info about these gloves out there. Contacted the Yankees, Police, Newspaper, etc. to ensure there we no issues with these gloves.

Although this story is unbelieveable and many of us still have questions, how, who, when and where, until someone can come up with factual information and proof about these gloves, other than what we already know, this should end as is.

sportscentury
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I have to argee with Mark. He has done everything to get the info about these gloves out there. Contacted the Yankees, Police, Newspaper, etc. to ensure there we no issues with these gloves.

Although this story is unbelieveable and many of us still have questions, how, who, when and where, until someone can come up with factual information and proof about these gloves, other than what we already know, this should end as is.

Tony,

I agree, although I think Mark is right that CarleVV should back up his statements. The statements may put Mark and the eBay buyer in a bad position and Mark and the eBay buyer have a right to know how CarleVV obtained his information and from whom this information came. This is a reasonable request on Mark's part, I believe. I'm not taking sides here and I truly don't know what to believe at this point ... but fair is fair and if you are going to make statements of fact (whether they be true or false) that may damage another party's reputation (in this case, Mark's reputation), then you should back them up accordingly.

Reid

3arod13
06-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Tony,

I agree, although I think Mark is right that CarleVV should back up his statements. The statements may put Mark and the eBay buyer in a bad position and Mark and the eBay buyer have a right to know how CarleVV obtained his information and from whom this information came. This is a reasonable request on Mark's part, I believe. I'm not taking sides here and I truly don't know what to believe at this point ... but fair is fair and if you are going to make statements of fact (whether they be true or false) that may damage another party's reputation (in this case, Mark's reputation), then you should back them up accordingly.

Reid

Reid,

I agree with you 100%. CarleVV should back up his most recent comments. Before, he would indicate his theory or his thoughts. Now, he has made direct and provided so called factual and very detailed info about these gloves, that I do believe he should either back it up right now or apologize for his most recent comments.

Alot of damage could be done for these statements. Many in the hobby won't touch those gloves in the future, if the seller decides to sell them, based on this type info.

Wish all the best.

Carlevv
06-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Talked to the bullpen catcher today and he confirmed the story. However, he said the gloves were stolen out of his car while it was at his house. He got to USC and noticed his equipement bag was missing. He called PIAS after seeing this story and said they were his gloves and they were stolen. PIAS said they took his info but they dont release info on thier sellers. I dont have to make stories up or try to disscredit anyone here. Those claims really bother me. All i like to do is inform this forum of info they might not usually get by being the average collector. I dont need to make these gloves out to be not game used by AROD. Listen, they arent signed for one. For two if AROD said he wasnt missing any gloves how is this "gamer" on the market? THESE THINGS DONT HAPPEN. Thats besides the point though. Mike Borzello the Yankee bullpen catcher said the police are working on this as we speak. Ill keep you posted.

sportscentury
06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Carlevv,

For the record, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I was a bidder on a couple of the gloves and have have had interest from the very beginning (as is easily evidenced by my early posts in the relevant threads on GUF). As such, I'm interested in the story that has unfolded. Still, it is a policy of GUF that posters need to back up their assertions of fact, particularly when they may harm others in some way (e.g., reputation, financial, etc.). That is all.

I look forward to reading future posts as this story continues to unfold.

Best,
Reid

mrw2161
06-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Alright,

I have just had a very good conversation with the gentleman that posted this information and it is someone that I would consider to be very reliable and knowledgeable as to this entire situation. My apologies for challenging him but he did the honorable thing and made the phone call that I hoped would come, for that he needs to recognized.

While I have yet to personally verify the fact that Mr. Borzello's equipment was stolen, it is a real possibility and I believe this to be true. I am going to place calls tomorrow morning to the Yankees clubhouse and will hopefully get to the bottom of this entire mess.

I cannot comment on whether or not these are "game used" Alex Rodriguez gloves, I don't know, it is my belief that they are but only Alex knows for sure. The fact that cannot be misconstrued is that the gloves did in fact belong to Alex at one time or another.

Now comes the concern that I may be criminally liable for receiving and selling stolen goods, it is my utmost worry that everyone realize that I did not participate in this, knowing this to be true. I will continue to work to the best of my ability to ascertain the truth with regards to the gloves and their true story....

Mark Webb

3arod13
06-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Alright,

I have just had a very good conversation with the gentleman that posted this information and it is someone that I would consider to be very reliable and knowledgeable as to this entire situation. My apologies for challenging him but he did the honorable thing and made the phone call that I hoped would come, for that he needs to recognized.

While I have yet to personally verify the fact that Mr. Borzello's equipment was stolen, it is a real possibility and I believe this to be true. I am going to place calls tomorrow morning to the Yankees clubhouse and will hopefully get to the bottom of this entire mess.

I cannot comment on whether or not these are "game used" Alex Rodriguez gloves, I don't know, it is my belief that they are but only Alex knows for sure. The fact that cannot be misconstrued is that the gloves did in fact belong to Alex at one time or another.

Now comes the concern that I may be criminally liable for receiving and selling stolen goods, it is my utmost worry that everyone realize that I did not participate in this, knowing this to be true. I will continue to work to the best of my ability to ascertain the truth with regards to the gloves and their true story....

Mark Webb

Wow! This whole matter has been unbelieveable. Started out as one of those unbelieveable stories which we all were cheering Mark on for such a great find, to now the truth about the gloves may be coming out where the end isn't a happy one.

I feel bad for both Mark and the buyer of the Arod gloves, as this matter has taken a turn for the worse. However, I hope they catch the person that stole the gloves from the Yankee catchers car.

I commend this website and all those who have protected this hobby. If it weren't for all the individuals in this forum sharing their information and knowledge, in addition to the outstanding detective work that so many have conducted, many stories like this would go undetected.

I was rooting for Mark on such a great find. It saddens me that this story looks like it will have a sad ending.

I commend Carlvv on his aggressiveness and research of the arod gloves. Your efforts helped protect the integrity of people in this hobby, and also saved someone from a tremendous loss of money. Bravo!

One note for all. Like stated in this thread, if someone is going to make accusations or call someone out on an item, facts must be provided immediately. When casual negative remarks are questioning at item, without proof, there are going to be unhappy people.

I will keep checking back for the conclusion. Tony

3arod13
06-11-2007, 04:00 AM
I also commend Mark for how he has handled this whole matter from the start. He made every effort to get his story out there about these gloves, just in case they were stolen. His concern from the start was to ensure there were no problems and/or issues with these gloves.

Carlevv
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Wow! This whole matter has been unbelieveable. Started out as one of those unbelieveable stories which we all were cheering Mark on for such a great find, to now the truth about the gloves may be coming out where the end isn't a happy one.

I feel bad for both Mark and the buyer of the Arod gloves, as this matter has taken a turn for the worse. However, I hope they catch the person that stole the gloves from the Yankee catchers car.

I commend this website and all those who have protected this hobby. If it weren't for all the individuals in this forum sharing their information and knowledge, in addition to the outstanding detective work that so many have conducted, many stories like this would go undetected.

I was rooting for Mark on such a great find. It saddens me that this story looks like it will have a sad ending.

I commend Carlvv on his aggressiveness and research of the arod gloves. Your efforts helped protect the integrity of people in this hobby, and also saved someone from a tremendous loss of money. Bravo!

One note for all. Like stated in this thread, if someone is going to make accusations or call someone out on an item, facts must be provided immediately. When casual negative remarks are questioning at item, without proof, there are going to be unhappy people.

I will keep checking back for the conclusion. Tony

Guys, Mark had two AROD gloves, a Giambi glove and a Steve Karsay glove. He made an unbelievable find and he can tell this story for years to come. The buyer can be happy that he bought two AROD game used gloves. Im not sure who the buyer was but he got two authentic game gloves from Alex Rodriguez. If Alex used them its still in question but at the end of the day he bought two legit AROD gloves. Thats pretty unique if you ask me. I never tried to dissrupt this transaction but when i saw this i HAD to speak out. I felt i had a legitimate theory to this whole sale and i had to speak out. I just think if there is info on anything weather its a game used sock or a game used jock, information should be shared if it matters. I love the hobby and want it to stay as pure as it can be. If nothing ever comes about i dont really care but i would hope that others will speak up if they know something might be fishy about an item. I hope i helped more than i hurt. Ill keep my ears open.......

3arod13
06-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Guys, Mark had two AROD gloves, a Giambi glove and a Steve Karsay glove. He made an unbelievable find and he can tell this story for years to come. The buyer can be happy that he bought two AROD game used gloves. Im not sure who the buyer was but he got two authentic game gloves from Alex Rodriguez. If Alex used them its still in question but at the end of the day he bought two legit AROD gloves. Thats pretty unique if you ask me. I never tried to dissrupt this transaction but when i saw this i HAD to speak out. I felt i had a legitimate theory to this whole sale and i had to speak out. I just think if there is info on anything weather its a game used sock or a game used jock, information should be shared if it matters. I love the hobby and want it to stay as pure as it can be. If nothing ever comes about i dont really care but i would hope that others will speak up if they know something might be fishy about an item. I hope i helped more than i hurt. Ill keep my ears open.......

You are correct. The winner did buy two authentic Arod gloves. However, he purchased them assuming/expecting they were game used (especially the one that showed good use). If the gloves weren't used by arod, it does hurt the value significantly. I don't believe the bid would have went so high if this information was made available at the time of the auction. Definately not worth what the winner paid.

As far as people speaking up if they see something wrong with an item. That is definatley not a problem in this forum. There are people in this forum that do a great job of researching, speaking up, and working hard to keep this hobby clean/safe.

As far as your information/research, you did a great job (as long as everything can be verified), but it sure would have been great if this information was made available to Mark when he was asking and prior to his auction. I realize you may not have had this info then.

For me, this is a good story with a sour ending.

All my best, Tony

cjclong
06-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I want to assure Mark that he has no criminal liability for recieving stolen property if all he did was purchase gloves from the store. I have some basic knowledge of criminal law and purchasing an item without the knowlege that it is stolen or intent to commit a crime is not a crime. I bid on the gloves and would not have been guilty of receiving stolen property either if I had won. It appears Mark took every effort to make people aware of the circumstances and he should be in no trouble at all. I know it is uncomfortable for both him and the ebay buyer, who, if the gloves are stolen ,will most likely have to return them if a demand is made by the owner. I understand Mark's concern, but if all is it appears to be he has done nothing wrong either morally or criminally and I hope this puts his mind at rest.

cjclong
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
This story got my interest. Does anyone know whether there has been a determination as to whether the gloves were in fact stolen from the Yankee catcher and has there been any final result to the story?

3arod13
07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
This story got my interest. Does anyone know whether there has been a determination as to whether the gloves were in fact stolen from the Yankee catcher and has there been any final result to the story?

I don't believe any solid proof is available to show it, however, it seems to be true.

I feel sorry for the current owner of the gloves, who paid $10,000 for the two arod gloves. Nobody will ever authentic them as game used.

Truly a sad ending to this story.

mrw2161
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Since this has come to light, I have spoken to numerous people and have placed several calls to the Yankee's bullpen catcher via the clubhouse and have not had a single call returned regarding the possible theft.
This leads me to believe any of several things

1) There was no theft and the story is a hoax. There has been no police report filed in the matter and the store has not been contacted by the police or the Yankee's bullpen catcher who apparently is well versed and has extensive knowledge in this story.

2) Is it possible that the Yank's bullpen catcher obtained the gloves through a means not on the "up and up" and this is why he might not be interested in the outcome of any investigation. Let us not forget that a Yankee player lifted one of Jeter's gloves from this very clubhouse, and while I am not insinuating that the gloves might have been stolen by Mr. Borzello for profit purposes. Maybe they were stolen from his car legitimately but because he might not be able to explain why or how he had gloves of A-Rod's during the off season when he obviously wasn't breaking them in for him. These gloves were well broken in and well worn with the exception of the black model. This also brings me to wonder, what the hell was this guy doing with 2 of A-Rods gloves in his car if he was catching pitchers at USC, he sure as hell wasn't going to warm up pitchers with infielders gloves. All specualtion of course.

3) I have spoken to another person close to the organization and close to the clubhouse who has looked at the photos and assures me that these are consistent with Alex's game gloves with regards to use and wear and the substance of "stikum" that was on the inside of the palm of the glove and over the finger slot would not have been put there by anyone who "might have been breaking in the gloves" and only would have been put on the glove by the player.

So, all in all, I stand by the sale of the gloves as I believe that they are authentic as well as a good many others do also, with everything however, there are going to be naysayers who will disagree and stand their ground, this explains why this is such a difficult and relentless hobby/business.

Mark

nealdevelopment@yahoo.com
04-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Why feel sorry for the guy who paid $10,000 for the gloves.
Hes a greedy fool. I should know. I buy Real Estate!!!!!
Lets move on guys.