PDA

View Full Version : Art Shamsky GU bat

metsbats
04-30-2007, 10:35 PM
There's a game used Art Shamsky bat currently on ebay. It's definitely a professional model bat however Shamsky never taped his bats. I was able to confirm with Mr. Shamsky himself via email that he never taped his bats and it's was probably not used by him.

It's too bad because Shamsky bats have got to be one of the toughest to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1965-68-Art-Shamsky-Game-Used-Bat-Mets-Reds_W0QQitemZ220107126525QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60596 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've emailed the seller to get his thoughts.

-David

pietraynor
05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm no bat expert, but I have purchased items in the past from this ebay seller w/o problems..I looked at the bat, could it have been cracked by Shamsky (untaped), then given to someone who then taped it together..crack looks severe under the tape, maybe they were just trying to hold it together or keep from getting hurt by it. Just some thoughts. Jay.

MSpecht
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi David--

Here's how the bat stacks up against Shamsky's shipping records.

The bat has center label from1965-1969 (reference C-18 in Vince malta's new book....The version of POWERIZED is references as P-10 (seen between 1964 and 1972). The overlap that would find that combination of labeling is 1965 to 1969.

Shamsky wore # 12 with the Reds in 1965, 1966, and 1967. When he went to the mets in 1968 he switched to # 24.

Given the above, this bat appears to be dated between 1965 and 1967.

Shamsky's shipping records indicate orders of M110 in length of 34 1/2 inches and 32 oz on 3/16/65, 4/7/65, 2/10/66 and 2/18/66 totaling 30 bats. The 1965 orders were Flame treated while the 1966 orders were Natural Finish (not FT) and also were Wide Grain with Weight Marked.

From the pictures (absent of physical examination) the bat appears to be Wide Grained with a Natural Finish (not Flame treated.) If that appearance is accurate upon physical examination, it is likely from one of the two orders in Feb. 1966.

As far as the tape, who knows? If it was an early Spring training bat, did Shamsky use tape until his hands get conditioned (Pre batting gloves?)...Was it cracked as suggested, then given to someone who taped it for appearance reasons? Did Shamsky actually use tape (on rare occasions) and mis-speak ??

All-in-all it appears (without physical examination) to be a nice bat that matches Shamsky's H & B shipping records.

Good luck

Mike jackitout7@aol.com (jackitout7@aol.com)

metsbats
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks Mike and Jay for the feedback.. I have no doubt that the bat is a gamer and with Shamsky bats being as rare as they come tape or no tape it would be a good aquisition. When we talk about player characteristics and habits it's always good to check with the source when possible. Perhaps Shamsky did use the bat and it was taped later on by someone else or he just didn't remember. It can happen.

It's one of those judgement calls that you have to make if a bat displays some characteristics that may not have been typical of a players habits (in this case tape and the player remembers not using tape) that has to be taken into consideration.

I've purchased from the seller before and he always has some nice vintage items.

Thanks
-David