PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Help: Reconditioning?

Eric
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey there football experts
I was wondering if you could give me info on helmet reconditioning. I hear it used all the time and I was wondering what it is, and does it affect the value of an item in your mind.

Also is it possible to have a game used helmet which has been reconditioned and then is pristine having never been used since its reconditioning?

What kind of stamping is there for the reconditioning? Is there a way to definitely determine that a helmet has been reconditioned?

Any info will be helpful.
Share the knowledge!!
Eric

cohibasmoker
01-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Eric, there are two guys whose opinion you need to get. Lou Lampson AND Curtis at the Helmet Hut. They can advise you. For myself, I just replaced a facemask from a 1970's Eagles game used helmet. Curtis and I spoke about the issue of reconditioning and we both agree that, if the helmet is advertised as reconditioned, there should not be a problem. Keep it fair and honest and it will never come back to haunt you. Jim

Gremillion, j
03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
just wondering guys

Jayworld
03-06-2010, 06:18 PM
It means that teams, throught their equipment managers (in the case of the NCAA) send back helmets to Riddell, Schutt, etc. at the end of each season for recondition/refubishment. The helmet companies inspect helmets sent back to make sure that they are safe for the next year. An inspection sticker is placed inside the helmet with the date so that the college/team/wearer knows that the helmet has been reconditioned or refurbished. According to my friend, who was the former equipment manager at SMU, a helmet usually is good for only 2 or 3 refurbishments at most before it must be retired due to safety reasons, concerns. During a refurbishment, the outer shell is tested for durability and safety, the padding is removed and cleaned, etc.

Ironicallly, I've seen Schutt helmets with Riddell inspection stickers on the inside, and vise-versa.

Hope that helps.

Gremillion, j
03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
thank you

yosef777
03-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Besides helmet manufacturers like Riddell and Schutt, there are specific reconditioning companies like All American and Capital Varsity that provide reconditioning services for helmets. Typically, All American and Capital Varsity are less expensive than Riddell and Schutt so you will see various reconditioning stickers not necessarily matching the helmets manufacturer with its reconditioner.
As far as replacing parts goes I agree that as long as you are honest and upfront you will be okay in terms of being held accountable for fraud. However, I would mention that any item that is a game used piece (or any antique item in general) and has had parts replaced would diminish the integrity of the item as well as the value. The amount of decline in value would vary from item to item.
For example, Cohibasmoker mentioned replacing a facemask on an Eagles helmet which in my opinion changes the item significantly. A helmet with all original parts intact is more valuable than one that has been modified/changed even if it has been replaced with a vintage part. (No disrespect intended to Cohibasmoker's helmet intended.)