PDA

View Full Version : '07 Pink Bats Ready for Shipment

pietraynor
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Saw a TV news piece about the pink "Bats Against Breast Cancer" being made & ready for shipment to teams from Louisville Slugger last night (think it was on CBS)..they showed a Griffey bat being prepped..Bats will be used May 13th then again auctioned for charity at a later date..there's a nice pic of David Eckstein bats on Yahoo sports. Jay.

metsbats
04-27-2007, 07:21 PM
That's great that MLB is doing these special pink bats to benefit finding a cure for breast cancer again.

Don't you fellows think though it is kind of odd that we have not seen many of the 2006 pink gamers offered on the secondary market? Other than the one David Wright gamer.

It's nice to know most of these bat probably went to real collectors.

David

Birdbats
04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Don't you fellows think though it is kind of odd that we have not seen many of the 2006 pink gamers offered on the secondary market?

Not really, because the bats went for extremely high prices. It would be difficult to sell most of them for anything near what the original buyers paid. If I recall correctly, the secondary market bid on the Wright bat didn't come close to what it sold for on MLB.com. What I find odd (and disappointing) is that some bats never made it to auction. None of the Cardinals bats were offered, for example. Supposedly, each player received two bats -- one to give to their moms and one to be auctioned. That didn't happen in St. Louis.

indyred
04-30-2007, 10:39 AM
This is great news. I really hope a bunch more player's do it this year. At least they are getting them made earlier, seems last year they were rushing to get them out to the player's and some didn't get the chance to have bats made. But like birdbats said, some never made it to auction. Seems a few player's must have just kept them. I know Jim Thome hit HR with one and I don't recall ever seeing his show up for auction, along with a few other's. Any idea where the Cardinals bats ended up? I just hope the Red Sox don't get rained out again. They never have any luck on these type of promotions.

kb-holdings
04-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Same thing happened in Houston. None of the bats ever hit auction. Berkman, Biggio, Taveras, and Ausmus (using Burke's pink bat because Burke was injured) all swung a pink stick, but I never saw any of them for auction. Berkman homered with his.

indyred
04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
It is sad that some of these bats never showed up on MLB.com auctions. Does anyone know if at least the player's made a donation for the bats? With NHL auctions on this type of stuff I don't recall any player's just keeping the items. I know a few bid and won them for themselves. At least put them up for auction for the charity. Also, if an extra was made for them to keep, why keep both? I know a few people won them on this forum last year. Would be cool to see some pictures of them. I also don't recall any others than the Wright getting re-sold. Have any showed up in major auction catalogs?

eGameUsed
04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Same thing happened in Houston. None of the bats ever hit auction. Berkman, Biggio, Taveras, and Ausmus (using Burke's pink bat because Burke was injured) all swung a pink stick, but I never saw any of them for auction. Berkman homered with his.

I spoke to a source close to the Biggio family that claimed Biggio still had both bats he used. Biggio cracked one in the first inning. In inquiring about obtaining one, I was told they would be auctioned at a later date. Haven't seen anything and suspect it would be done locally. I have attended two charity events, one with Biggio as the featured speaker, and haven't see one yet.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything!

kb-holdings
04-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Do you have a calendar or list of upcoming Astros charity events?

eGameUsed
04-30-2007, 10:45 PM
No, nothing scheduled right now. Send me an e-mail when you can!

Thanks,

indyred
05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Is there any completed auction lists that show how much the bats sold for last year. Or even who used them and what one's never were auctioned. I know Bill Hall's bat went for the crazy amount of 25K. Anyone recall what some other's sold for? On MLB.com auctions now is a Kevin Mench. Is this the first sighting of a Texas Rangers one from last year. Doesn't show much use, I know the game was a rain out.

suave1477
05-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Bill Halls bat sold for 25k? I don't remember that but iu guess if it did it did.

I remember the Giambi bat sold somewhere in the range of $3,000

skipcareyisfat
05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I heard today from someone who works for the Braves that Andruw Jones just received a shipment of 10 pinks bats. Didn't everyone get two last year?

indyred
05-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Here is article on Brewers website about the Hall bat. One of the Owners won the bat for over 25k. Funny that a few player's that did well with them wanted to use them the next game.
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070508&content_id=1952940&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mi

geoff
05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
I am watching the Orioles game and players are using these pink bats and they look very bright.Are they going to be auctioning off the pink arm bands they have on.

bubbrubb25
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
They usually just throw the arm bands over the dugout after the game.... the same with the blue fathers day arm bands they are just plain.

indyred
05-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Looks like a lot more guys used them this year. Even other companies besides LS had pink bats. Hunter used a Rawlings pink bat for both his home runs tonight. Did anybody see any SAM bats in pink? Anyone know what Yankees and Astros used them?

indyred
05-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I spoke to a source close to the Biggio family that claimed Biggio still had both bats he used. Biggio cracked one in the first inning. In inquiring about obtaining one, I was told they would be auctioned at a later date. Haven't seen anything and suspect it would be done locally. I have attended two charity events, one with Biggio as the featured speaker, and haven't see one yet.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything!

There is a story on MLB.com about Biggio today and his pink bats. Doesn't look like we will see them up for auction again.

HOUSTON -- Houston second baseman Craig Biggio had a new pink bat beside his chair in his clubhouse cubicle following Sunday's game against Arizona. It was the same bat he'd used to bang out a pair of doubles during Houston's 5-2 victory. Biggio had quite a day. He reached base four times in five plate appearances and scored a pair of runs to go with the two doubles. Normally, a new bat that produced that kind of game would be kept around. But Biggio, one of 10 Astros who took part in Major League Baseball's effort to raise money and awareness to fight breast cancer by using the pink bats during Mother's Day, will gladly part with this one.
"I think my daughter's taking it," Biggio said. "She got one last year, [and] I'll give her this one, too."
Biggio's pursuit of 3,000 hits -- he needs 34 now after hitting two doubles with the pink bat Sunday -- will go on without the special Louisville Slugger.
"I think [the charity] is great," Biggio said. "My mom was a breast-cancer survivor, so I'm very happy to use one and raise money for that. I think MLB stepping up and including more guys in it this year is going to make more money for the cause. I think it's a great thing, I really do."

PK
05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
"I think my daughter's taking it," Biggio said. "She got one last year, [and] I'll give her this one, too."
Biggio's pursuit of 3,000 hits -- he needs 34 now after hitting two doubles with the pink bat Sunday -- will go on without the special Louisville Slugger.
"I think [the charity] is great," Biggio said. "My mom was a breast-cancer survivor, so I'm very happy to use one and raise money for that. I think MLB stepping up and including more guys in it this year is going to make more money for the cause. I think it's a great thing, I really do."

Unless he makes a direct donation to the MLB fund, how is he helping the cause by giving the bat to his daughter and not putting it up for auction?? He could just as easily put the bat up for auction and be the winning bidder, even if he had to go up to the high 5 figures. he can afford it.

I know he said his Mom is a survivor and has most likey given $$ before, but I thought the whole point of using the bats was to put the bats up for auction and raise $$?

indyred
05-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree PK. I think he must just make a donation on his own. Although if he gets 2, why not auction one of them. I'd love to see what his pink bat would sell for.

Yankwood
05-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Are any of the bats being auctioned yet and if so, where can I find them?

kellsox
05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
I get a kick out of seeing how high the Mench bat is going. I may be wrong but I think this is the same bat auctioned last September that did not get any bids. It goes to show how the timing of a listing can really make a difference. I won the auto'd "game used" pink Michael Young bat for $440. None of the Rangers bats saw game use as the game was rained out in Boston.

eGameUsed
05-17-2007, 05:19 AM
Hello everyone! I just got back from a two week Europe trip. I have been catching on Astros news and was going to post that same article. Thanks for posting it! It confirms what I had heard from the Biggio camp. I do know there is a second one from last year, but don't know what will happen to it. I am curious to try and find out if Biggio made a donation for the bats or what. If I find any more info out I will let you guys know.

Thanks,

Carlevv
05-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I asked Derek Jeter what he was going to do with his pink bats and he said he was giving his away and not do the charity thing. FYI.

indyred
05-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I asked Derek Jeter what he was going to do with his pink bats and he said he was giving his away and not do the charity thing. FYI.

I don't get this. The idea is to raise money for charity. Did Jeter even use one during the game this year? I know he did last year, I have a picture of him with one. Still if he just used it in BP, it would still raise a lot of money. So now you can pretty much rule out seeing Jeter, Pence and Biggio. I know the Pence bat is on ebay, so it's atleast out there. But the entire promotion is to raise money for breast cancer research.
Anyone heard when they might be showing up for auction?

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Jeter used one in his first at bat in Seattle. AROD, and Giambi also used it only in their first at bats as well and then back to the normal game bats. FYI last years AROD is in Alex's house as a show piece and Giambi's parents actually spent $4500 to buy their own son's bat last year on an auction. Kind of cool if you ask me.

BoneRubbedBat
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Here are some links to select bats from the 2006 Mother's Day MLB auction:

Bill Hall ($25K)
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=68991275&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69337985

A-Rod
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=68991297&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69338007

Jeter
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=68991289&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69337999

Giambi
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=68991283&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69337993

Nick Swisher (I got this one)
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=68991278&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69337988

Adam Dunn
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=69027369&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69374079

Griffey Jr.
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=69027364&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69374074

David Wright
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=69226319&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69573029

Garciaparra
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=69582284&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69928994

Juan Pierre
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=69582289&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=69928999

Nathan
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't get this. The idea is to raise money for charity. Did Jeter even use one during the game this year? I know he did last year, I have a picture of him with one. Still if he just used it in BP, it would still raise a lot of money. So now you can pretty much rule out seeing Jeter, Pence and Biggio. I know the Pence bat is on ebay, so it's atleast out there. But the entire promotion is to raise money for breast cancer research.
Anyone heard when they might be showing up for auction?

I'm with you and I propose something radical to alleviate it. I already posted my thoughts on the way that players seem to keep or give away their stuff from the Jackie Robinson Day or Civil Rights game. Now we see this.

I propose that MLB basically let it be known that every piece of equipment (jersey, hat, batting helmet, bat, etc) that is supposed to be auctioned off for charity be handed over in a timely manner to be auctioned. The penalty for failure to comply is $100,000 per item (to be donated to said charity).

The idea that a player or team can use something that essentially belongs to a charity and keep it for their own use or give away to someone is insane.

suave1477
05-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Nathan well it seems like nothing was held back from the Jackie Robinson Day, bcause form what it looks like all the Jersey are being listed. Was there something else they were supposed to put up there?

Carlevv
05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
The info i relayed earlier is true about Giambi's parents buying his bat but i thought i heard $4500 for some reason. I was wrong. Arod has one at his house and i from what i see one got auctioned too. Cool bats.

pietraynor
05-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Probably belongs in the auction section, but thought I'd continue it here--some of the pink bats are up for auction on MLB.com..noticed a few Padres bats. Jay.

suave1477
05-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Pietraynor I saw those, they are not the Game Used Bats. They are or I guess can be considered Game Issued. As I believe which I could be incorrect the official manufacturer is Louisville Slugger and would explain why the Padres are actually auctioning these off instead of MLB directly.

These bats that are up, are XBats and proceeds are going to the Padres childerens cancer fund

The Game Used ones would be auctioned off directly by MLB and Proceeds are going to a charity to fight breast cancer

whatupyos
05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Is it possible that the said Padres bats are game used? I was at the A's game when they played the Indians and noticed a player on the Indians with a pink Rawlings bat.

Aaron

suave1477
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Whatupyos these in particular are not game used.

It is even stated in the description "they are not game used".

Also you can see there is no use on the bats.

Ever since last year when LS offered MLB these Pink bats to there players, this year the other bat companies jumped in on it. So it is possible if a player uses Rawlings or any other company you may see a Game Used Pink bat from that company. But again I could be wrong but I do beleive the ones that would be auctioned of through MLB will be the Louisville sluggers as I do believe they have a contract with MLB.

pietraynor
05-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I stand corrected, thanks. Jay.

indyred
05-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for posting some of those completed auctions Marcus. Nice score on the Swisher!
The Griffey looks unused, not even his tape job on it. Other than his, the other's have great use. I wonder if this being the second year, will prices drop some and with twice as many player's doing it this year. I hope we see some put up this weekend. Looking at the past one's, they should start being auctioned any day now.

indyred
05-28-2007, 10:39 PM
The Pence bat sold on ebay for I think $1,150 and didn't meet the sellers reserve. Also a Vlad Louisville Slugger pink bat is on ebay now. I don't recall any of these being on ebay last season, before they were on mlb.com auctions.

indyred
05-31-2007, 09:13 AM
The Vlad bat sold for $610 and didn't meet the reserve. Now it's relisted with no reserve starting at $100. This will be interesting to see if it gets bid up more the second time with no reserve or if the seller should have took the $610. The bat just doesn't look beat up enough for his bats. Not the tons of pine tar he usually slops on. Also, doesn't help the seller has gameused as one word in the title. But if you look at the star pink bats sold on mlb.com last year, this one looks like a bargin. Not sure if Vlad had a pink bat last year. But as we all know, comparing MLB.com prices to ebay prices is apples to oranges. Also, your not getting the mlb authenticated hologram and money isn't going to charity.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VLADIMIR-GUERRERO-GAMEUSED-SIGNED-PINK-MOTHERS-DAY-BAT_W0QQitemZ150128003849QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

indyred
06-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Any idea on the hold up for these? Did just all the player's keep them this year. I would have thought a few would have been auctioned by now.....

ballofbases@hotmail.com
06-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I was just wondering the same thing. Surely they will be going up soon. It has nearly been a month since they were given back to MLB to be put up for auction. Does anyone possibly have any contact with MLB Auctions to see if they have a set date they are putting these up???

Michael

indyred
06-11-2007, 08:42 PM
They are up and I'm stunned. There is a Craig Biggio with what looks like some nice use up. That will be an interesting one to watch. Does anyone know if Manny used his bat in the game? Finally some Astros and Red Sox bats are up. Neither team had any last season for auction. Still no Cardinals.

gamer35
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
No, Manny did not use a pink bat in that game.

larry bourget
06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Detroit Tigers Official Auction site has some players 2007 Pink Bats up for Auction, all starting at $300.

Larry

indyred
06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Well there are quite a few still missing. I think they probally will have another wave of them up next week. No Torii Hunter (had 2 homers with his), pretty sure David Ortiz used one for an at bat, no Cardinals (no surprise) no Yankees, no Devil Rays...

eGameUsed
06-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Biggio bat at $6,210.00. This might be another case of agent/player bidding. I guess my 24 Biggio bat collection isn't going to hit the Silver Plateau!

Thanks,