PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt picture from Grey flannel

RKGIBSON
04-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Attached are the picture that Rich sent me of the Schmidt name plate. He also sent a Getty photo the he reviewed before taking it for consignment. He thinks that it matches the jersey and was enough proof.

Roger

hblakewolf
04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Roger-

Did you happen to pass along the following thread to Grey Flannel? If you did not, I strongly suggest you do so.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8174

Not only have I provided an example of what a 1989 plate should look like, I've also taken the liberty of comparing the COMBS/CHAMBERLAIN to the Schmidt plate in question. Clearly, the letter styles are different and the manufacture of the surging on the boarders is different from known examples.

In regard to the Getty photo-please, don’t insult my or the Forum readers intelligence. I simply can’t believe anyone would expect this photo of a distant Mike Schmidt hitting the ball to serve as either authenticity or the basis for determining if the plate or jersey in question is correct. Should a CLOSEUP of the grey 1989 Schmidt plate via Getty be produced to support your position, then I’d be interested in seeing it.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

reed1216
04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Although I agree with Howard on the photo being inconclusive, it also appears that the spacing between the latter portion of the nameplate and the top of the 0 (in 20) is different from that shown in the photo of the nameplate. By looking at the photo, I would lean closer to ruling it out as a photomatch. Just my two cents...

mvandor
04-26-2007, 03:30 PM
If GF REALLY used a photo like that for their authenticity review I think it speaks volumes about how seriously they check items for authenticity. Fewer items means fewer dollars, the age old conflict of interest.

RKGIBSON
04-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Howard,

You ask me if I could get some pictures. I ask and this is what I got. I passed them along with the info. A "thank you" would be more appropriate for me than accusing me of insulting your intellegence. I could care less about this whole deal. I was trying to help you get to the bottom of this. I will never waste my time again. That is the problem with this forum it is attack, attack, attack. It's no wonder none of these authenicators or auction owners want to have any input or answer questions here.

Roger

ChrisCavalier
04-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Hello Roger,

Thank you for getting the images. I don't think you need to be in the middle of the situation. It appears to me Howard's follow-up questions are more for Grey Flannel than you.

Thanks again for taking the time to get the pictures and posting them on the forum. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Chris