PDA

View Full Version : Chris Boyd: Clemens All-Star '04 jersey

kingjammy24
01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Chris,

Don't you have Roger's "other" 2004 All-Star game-used jersey?

If so, how does your jersey compare to this one?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8748999332

thanks,

Rudy.

astros*bats
01-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Rudy,

I do not believe that this jersey is being advertised as an "All Star Game" worn jersey. Rather a 2004 Astros home pinstripe jersey with the 2004 All Star Game patch on the sleeve.

Boyd has photo matched his jersey to one of the two that Roger wore during the 2004 All Star Game. I haven't checked Getty for photo matches of this jersey yet, but it is not being sold as his "All Star" jersey.

-AJ

game-used-bat
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Rudy,

I agree with AJ; I don't think they are advertising this as game worn in the All-Star game. Plus, I know for a fact the "other" All-Star game jersey is in Clemens Family collection. I do indeed have the "second" All-Star jersey from 2004 that was worn not only in the All-Star festivities, but also from June 2004 to August 2004 during various games. Coincidentally, the 2004 Astros Home pinstripes with the Host patch were the jersey the Astros picked to wear in the All-Star game, so it is possible for guys like Clemens, Berkman, and Beltran to wear the same jersey in the All-Star game as in the part of the regular season. Photos of the jersey and various photo-matches can be found at:

http://www.egameused.com/clemens_2004_jersey.html

I think the above link is very comprehensive on Clemens jersey characteristics. All of my research has been gathered from clubhouse guys, his assistants, and my own questioning.

In terms of Size, Clemens wears a Size 52 in games according to Astros sources. A VERY important note is that Clemens prefers the front jock tag removed before wearing a jersey (this is a comfort thing). Also, the 2 photo matched Clemens jerseys I have handled all measured to be a Size 52, had approximately 3" Extra Length (not tagged on inside seam) when compared to other Size 52 jerseys, and were missing the front jock tag.

I have also been told that the majority of the UNUSED jerseys that originated from the Roger Clemens Foundation were Size 50, a non-retail size. I have witnessed this myself on multiple occasions at the Roger Clemens Foundation Offices.

Finally, at last year's National, I spoke with Keith Vari of Grey Flannel, and he too has heard stories of Clemens having the front tagging removed from the "real game used" Yankees jerseys.

Let me know if you have any more questions! As you can tell, I have spent a great deal of time on Clemens and Astros jerseys. I love to help! Also, feedback on my site is much appreciated. I know it is basic, but it does the trick.

Thanks,

Chris
713-385-1155
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
www.eGameUsed.com (http://www.eGameUsed.com)

kingjammy24
01-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Chris & AJ:

It seems I missed the fact that the Ebay jersey isn't his "All-Star" jersey per se, but just a regular season jersey! Good eye.

It seems like the only way to differentiate a jersey (from an All-Star player on a team hosting the All-Star Game) used solely in the regular season from a jersey used solely in an All-Star Game would be to gauge the wear.

Is there any possible way though to differentiate a jersey used only in the regular season from a jersey used in the regular season AND an All-Star Game? Both would seem identical and exhibit a good deal of use. That is, if the Ebay jersey was a 52 and had the tags cut off (and perhaps was really a jersey Clemens used in the second half), would there be any way to differentiate it from Chris Boyd's jersey?

Seems tricky especially given that the jersey used additionally in the All-Star Game would command a higher premium and there doesn't seem to be any way to tell them apart.

Rudy.

game-used-bat
01-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Rudy,

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but here is a shot. I think the answer is in photo matching. I don't post on this forum as much as I used to for various reasons, but mostly because my "real job" lately has taken me all over the country where there is oil :) But, I have seen a rise in people using "photo matching" too loosely. It is one thing to "photo match" a style, but I am talking about true Imagery Analysis. Some of you people might remember Dave Grob's article on the old forum. Finding weather a particular style was worn in a certain year is one thing, but I am talking about true number and letter sizing, letter spacing, pinstripe spacing. Give me a photo of a pinstripe jersey and I will tell you exactlly how far they are spaced. It is a science, or maybe it that sheet of paper hanging on the all that says engineer that makes me so anal :) Regardless, I was able to determine the specifics about my Clemens jersey by exact photo matching it to specific games. I have game photos of just about every Astros player from every game since 2001, that I use to do what I do with my team, the Astros.

Sorry for the long story above, but if the jersey on eBay right now was stripped of all tagging and measured to a size 52, I would know it is not the same as mine simply by looking at pinstripes, number sizing, etc.

There a 2 authenticators out there that call me everytime they get a Clemens jersey in. Of the approximately 14 they have asked about, only 1 was a sure thing and the other was possibly. I own 19 Astros Home pinstripes since 2000, and all but one have been EXACT photomatched to specific games.

If anyone has any questions on Astros jerseys, please feel free to ask. I will extend a similar offer as Howard did for Phillies jerseys. I would love to help any Astros collectors like myself out with my resources.

Thanks,
Chris

game-used-bat
01-11-2006, 01:28 AM
I just realized the MEARS LOA on the Clemens on eBay atually says the jersey has been "style matched." To me that is slightly deceptive. A look at the getty images they reference shows a Clemens Home Pinstripe, but not an exact.

astros*bats
01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Chris is a good guy and is very knowledgeable about Astros items. He has always helped me with any questions that I have had about various Astros items. I highly recommend that you contact him with any questions that you have!

Speaking of......Chris, have you had a chance to check out that Bagwell helmet that was on eBay a while back. I was wondering what you thought about it. The helmet was a TBTC helmet that was size 7 3/8. I have only seen Bagwell helmets sized 7 1/4. Just wondering what you thought!

Thanks!

-AJ

game-used-bat
01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey AJ,

Thanks for the compliments! I would love to try and help anyone with Astros questions.

As for the Bagwell Helmet, I thought it was a little big. I currently own 3 Bagwell helmets dating from 1994 to 2003 and all are 7 1/4". One thing I didn't like about the Bagwell helmet was the 1" all white number. If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong as I don't seam to have photos of the backs of helmets from recent TBTC games, the Astros used the 2 color raised numbers on the back of the helmets in orange with navy border for the TBTC. The only year the Astros would have used the flat 1" numbers would have been the TBTC games played May 12-14, 1995. I am curious what the injection mold stamp would be on the helmet offered by B&E. The Astros also wore TBTC 80s era styling in 1999, 2002, 2003, and 2004 I believe; I might have missed a year. However, the style of numbering would have been different. Let me see if I can find a photo.

In summary, I think Helmet is too big for Bags and number is wrong for anything close to 2000 to current.

Also, I have sold a lot of Astros and Bagwell items to B&E, but this was not one of them.

Thanks,
Chris

bigtime59
01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Do players from the host team not get special All-Star game uniforms? I know at least some of the road team get them, because otherwise, Tony Batista could not have turned up in 2002 wearing THIS little number, the ONLY Orioles road jersey in 2002 to feature front piping.

astros*bats
01-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Chris-

Thank you very much for your thoughts on the Bagwell helmet.

The reason that I am asking is that I was offered the helmet and would like to purchase it, if it is legit.

I myself cannot find a single picture of a Turn Back the Clock Astros game. The only one that I was able to find was from the July 4, 2004 game against the Texas Rangers.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51088910.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=AB27D05020109421A8062743E3424C1F7616351E678C 967694D2604A015CF9DF

It appears that Bagwell wore his regular season helmet during this game.

Is there any chance that B&E made a mistake about the dating of the helmet.

The Astros used the 1" all white numbers on their 1994-1999 style helmets. Is it possible that it is a TBTC helmet from that era?

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/222928.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=AB27D050201094218F8673C7DED1A09B2A95C0DB141D FB92

They also used the 1" all white numbers pre 1994 - Is there any chance that this helmet is from then?

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/53285454.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=AB27D050201094214317F8857160B5AFCB2FA5C5758A 606094D2604A015CF9DF

It appears that Leland's auctioned off a 1996 Astros Bagwell helmet that was also sized 7 3/8.

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=1168&auctionid=311

I am sorry about the size of the pictures and all the questions, but I would like to make sure I know the most about this helmet before I make a decision. This is my first helmet as well!

Please let me know if you have any further information.

Thanks again Chris!

-AJ

kingjammy24
01-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Bigtime: Commenting only on the late 80's/early-mid 90's: players would not get an 'aesthetically different' jersey just for the all-star game.
as i remember it, during the all-star batting practice, you'd have all the players on the field wearing their typical team batting jerseys (as opposed to the current practice of having special all-star game bp jerseys which are identical among all the players in each league). it was pretty cool to see..20 or so teams all visually represented on the field.
for the actual all-star game itself, each 'visiting' player would simply wear their road uniform with the all-star game patch sewn on, and each 'home' player would wear their home uniform with the all-star game patch sewn on. hence my comment that it would be almost impossible to tell an all-star game-worn uniform from an ordinary home game-worn uniform from a host player. in both instances, the jerseys would be identical: home jerseys with an all-star patch sewn on. other than looking at the wear, you'd never be able to tell which one was worn in the all-star game and which one wasn't.

Rudy.

bigtime59
01-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Bigtime: Commenting only on the late 80's/early-mid 90's: players would not get an 'aesthetically different' jersey just for the all-star game.
as i remember it, during the all-star batting practice, you'd have all the players on the field wearing their typical team batting jerseys (as opposed to the current practice of having special all-star game bp jerseys which are identical among all the players in each league). it was pretty cool to see..20 or so teams all visually represented on the field.
for the actual all-star game itself, each 'visiting' player would simply wear their road uniform with the all-star game patch sewn on, and each 'home' player would wear their home uniform with the all-star game patch sewn on. hence my comment that it would be almost impossible to tell an all-star game-worn uniform from an ordinary home game-worn uniform from a host player. in both instances, the jerseys would be identical: home jerseys with an all-star patch sewn on. other than looking at the wear, you'd never be able to tell which one was worn in the all-star game and which one wasn't.

Rudy.

Rudy:
I wasn't implying that each player got a uniform different from the one his team normally wore for the All-Star Game, but that the players from teams that weren't hosting the game got a new jersey made up just for the occasion, rather than having a patch sewn on something they were already wearing...Majestic just screwed up on Tony Bat's All Star jersey...or...did he order it that way because he liked it better?!?:p He is wearing a home hat for a road game, after all...

kingjammy24
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Bigtime: Woops! In that case, I've seen almost every possible case:

1) all star patch sewn on a jersey that was worn in the first half (see jim
caravello's recent purchase of a 1992 roberto kelly jersey with the 1992
a.s. patch). the first-half jersey gets ditched after the all-star game,
and a second jersey is worn for the rest of the season.

2) set 1 worn during the whole year and set 2 worn once during
the all star game. set 1 is then worn throughout the entire year.

3) a new jersey just for the all-star game complete with
'minimal' tagging. ie: a 'spare'. a spare gets taken from the equipment
room and the a.s. patch is sewn on.

I don't believe there's any 'standard' as to how it gets done. (After seeing how the Yankees handle their jerseys, I'm surprised they manage to take the field all wearing the same style).

Rudy.

bigtime59
01-13-2006, 06:14 PM
After seeing how the Yankees handle their jerseys, I'm surprised they manage to take the field all wearing the same style.

Rudy.

Rudy: When you haven't changed your jerseys since Nixon was president, it's not all that hard to send 9 guys out in the same style! :D
(...or, was that Lincoln?)

game-used-bat
01-14-2006, 11:18 PM
For anyone interested in more about Clemens use habits, I added a photo of a 2004 Clemens Home Pinstripe that was on display at the Baseball as America exhibit put on by the Baseball HOF at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. It too shows the front Majestic tag removed. It can be viewed at the bottom of My Collection page:

http://www.egameused.com/clemens_2004_jersey.html

Thanks,

Chris
www.eGameUsed.com (http://www.eGameUsed.com)
713-385-1155