PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken game used items

closersuck
04-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Does anyone here collect Cal Ripken game used items? I have a signed supposedly game used batting glove. i got it for free so i'm not concerned with being ripped off. it is a size xxl. i have no idea how you would go about authenticating it unless you did a dna test.

kylehess10
04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Do you have a scan?

closersuck
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
i am getting ready for bed i will take a photo and post it tomorrow.

mr.miracle
04-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Please post pictures and I will evaluate it as I have been known to collect some Ripken items from time to time. :D

closersuck
04-25-2007, 03:46 PM
here are pics

bubbrubb25
04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
The ripken batting glove i saw usually were orange and on the strap it had RIP-8 on it

closersuck
04-25-2007, 07:39 PM
the orange ones were his last couple years, he also wore white w/ black and black w/ white

ironmanfan
04-26-2007, 08:55 AM
The Ripken signature is a genuine one & Cal had a contract with Franklin for batting gloves nearly his entire career. Whether or not he actually ever wore it is the bigger question however (not bad for a gift).

mr.miracle
04-26-2007, 11:38 PM
The glove in question is certainly the rarest of the three varieties that Cal wore mainly throughout his career. The Rawlings white with black was the prominent batting glove style worn early in Cal's career and the black with Orange was as you mentioned worn later in his career. Quite honestly, I don't remember seeing the black with white Rawlings used by him and have not had time to search my picture data base extensively to verify this one way or the other. The other question I have is the glove size. I need to double check but I believe my Ripken batting gloves might be a size large. Could be wrong on that one. What kind of use do the palms of these gloves show? Not that this proves anything one way or the other but at least it demonstrates what kind of game use if any they show.

ripkengamers
04-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't know what compelled me to look through my photo archives but I did manage to find a number of photos of Cal wearing a black Franklin batting glove. Upon reviewing various photos there are several variations of batting gloves pre black-orange "Rip-8" variety. I've attached a couple photos of the black variation, one all black and one black with silver.

ironmanfan
04-27-2007, 08:54 PM
The glove in question is certainly the rarest of the three varieties that Cal wore mainly throughout his career. The Rawlings white with black was the prominent batting glove style worn early in Cal's career and the black with Orange was as you mentioned worn later in his career. Quite honestly, I don't remember seeing the black with white Rawlings used by him and have not had time to search my picture data base extensively to verify this one way or the other. The other question I have is the glove size. I need to double check but I believe my Ripken batting gloves might be a size large. Could be wrong on that one. What kind of use do the palms of these gloves show? Not that this proves anything one way or the other but at least it demonstrates what kind of game use if any they show.

I'd love to see some pictures of Cal using a Rawlings batting glove

ironmanfan
04-27-2007, 09:06 PM
early pictures of Cal using Franklin batting gloves

ironmanfan
04-27-2007, 09:10 PM
see pictures

mr.miracle
04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
I'd love to see some pictures of Cal using a Rawlings batting glove

Franklin as noted by Ironmanfan sorry, my strange hours at work have me loopy late at night. Those Rawlings batting gloves would probably be pretty hard to custom fit around ones hand with that tough leather lol.:D

mr.miracle
04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't know what compelled me to look through my photo archives but I did manage to find a number of photos of Cal wearing a black Franklin batting glove. Upon reviewing various photos there are several variations of batting gloves pre black-orange "Rip-8" variety. I've attached a couple photos of the black variation, one all black and one black with silver.

Nice pic up Dan, I did a search through getty for a bit the other night but could not come up with any pics of the black gloves with white trim. Of course searching through 37 pages of pics without a high speed modem was just a bit too time consuming so I thought I would search my picture files and books when I had time. The white Franklin with black trim is the one I am most familiar with especially early in Cal's career through the early 90's.

closersuck
04-28-2007, 10:39 PM
the palm of the glove is in great shape by the way...it looks like the glove was hardly used...i will see the person who gave it to me tomorrow, to see where exactly it came from