PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments on Lampson from REA's Rob Lifson

skipcareyisfat
04-24-2007, 08:20 AM
From Dave Grob's Q&A session with Lifson on the MEARS site.

Entire interview:
https://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=265

"This may make MEARS uncomfortable, but you said you will publish whatever my answers are verbatim, and I am entitled to run my business however I want to: You will never ever see Lou Lampson’s name as an authenticator in a Robert Edward Auctions catalog. Lou might be a very nice guy, and I have met him and he has always been very pleasant, but I personally do not have confidence in his abilities as an authenticator. This is just my personal opinion. Lou used to live just a few minutes away from REA. I even ran into him at the deli a couple of times. Very pleasant fellow. The last time I saw him I think he ordered a cinnamon-and-raison bagel with cream cheese. I respect his opinion about bagels. I ordered the same and was very happy. But I’m not as enthusiastic about his opinions on jerseys. Even living so close, literally five minutes away, it would have never dawned on me to consider having Lou Lampson do our uniform authentication. I’d rather have my grandmother do it. This is just my opinion and I know that some auction houses, and presumably some collectors (though I do not know them) have great confidence in Mr. Lampson’s abilities. If ever a bidder was interested in a jersey at REA and they were not satisfied with the authentication work by MEARS and wanted Lou Lampson (or any one else) to look at it for a second opinion, by all means we would be happy to cooperate in any reasonable manner. This hasn’t happened yet. To me it is very interesting that so many of the auction houses that use Lou Lampson’s services own the items that Lou Lampson is authenticating for them and that they are offering. I don’t know the significance of this, but it is interesting. I’m not saying Lou Lampson is wrong all the time. I’m sure he’s been right many times. But when there is an issue with a Lou Lampson authentication, well, he’s not exactly the easiest guy to reach. I don’t even know if it’s possible to contact him. In contrast, when there’s an issue with a MEARS authentication, the communication and options that are available to collectors is tremendous. I do understand that Lou Lampson’s authentication rates are extremely reasonable, but there’s an old saying: you get what you pay for. The modest cost, the quality of his authentication services, and his inaccessibility may serve the purposes of some auction houses well but I don’t think it’s very good for collectors."

otismalibu
04-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Can we get the name and number for that deli?

It's the closest we've come to contact info for LL.

Eric
04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Good for Rob Lifson for being outspoken about these things. Lifson is confident in the rules he has set for REA and seems to be challenging the other auction houses to live up to those standards.

I found these comments interesting- yes some are about cards, but we have had a taste of the same with the game used side.

Dave Grob Q: What are three things that you would like to see change within the industry/hobby and why?

Rob Lifson A: ...I’d like to see all the big issues regarding auctions addressed but it’s hard to limit it to just three. With reference to cards, off the top of my head: 1) The epidemic of card alterations, including by auction houses. 2) Disclosure of lots owned by the auction house. 3) Shill bidding. When you really connect the dots, what we have is a system that is very conducive to problems: a system where dealers and auction houses sometimes buy cards; then they alter cards; then they offer the cards at auction. And then they ask you to trust them with your “upto” bids also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I think people around here should see the kind comments Mr. Lifson made about the people on this site.

DG Q: What are three things that you consider the strengths of the industry/hobby at this time and why?

RL A: The industry has a lot of strengths. There’s a lot of great things that have happened and are happening. As far as game-used equipment – jerseys and bats – I think this area is a particular bright spot in the collecting landscape. I think the two most positive factors in this area are the MEARS and the Game Used Universe websites and forums. I know that sometimes the two sites don’t see eye to eye on everything, almost like there’s a cold war at times, but maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be: Checks and balances. The fact is that both sites have very similar goals. The valuable services and dedication and scholarly approach to the field by both of these entities is to be applauded. Both of these sites are fantastic and both give collectors access to information that just a few years ago was not accessible, and in many cases didn’t even exist. If that isn’t progress, what is? There has never been a better time to collect game-used items with reference to information available. Which brings me to the third strength of the field that I think is actually directly related to the quality and great value of MEARS and GUU: the collectors are coming back. For a while the problems with authentication were making collectors shy away from bats and uniforms. A lot of factors go into determining values, so I’m not saying that prices on any type of item are going up or down or anything like that. I’m just saying that real collectors are back with a confidence that they never had before, and that they are armed with knowledge that they never had before so that they can make the most intelligent decisions possible without just blindly relying on opinions of others. This is great. There are still plenty of problems out there, but it is now possible for collectors to collect memorabilia and understand what they are buying and not get burned. This is a big change from years past. As far as cards go, I don’t have enough time to write about all the problems in the card industry. But maybe the number one strength of the field, which applies to both cards and memorabilia, is simply that there is a growing awareness about the problems that exist, and that’s really the first step towards progress in addressing any of the issues in the field that need addressing. MEARS and GUU should be very proud. You guys don’t get the credit you deserve. From my perspective, your work is laying down the foundation that will make this field continue to survive and thrive in the future. MEARS and GUU are literally keeping the field from falling apart. I like what Steiner does also, with the new material, making sure that people are getting what they are supposed to be getting, and John Taube and Vince Malta also deserve positive mention as being part of the progress that has occurred with the body of knowledge relating to the authentication bats. I’m sure there are others and I apologize for leaving anyone out. I have also heard that GAI has a very knowledgeable authenticator but I have no personal experience with him, but have heard good things and don’t want to leave him out.

https://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=265

allstarsplus
04-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Suggestion to MEARS - please use paragraphs in your interviews. My eyes are sore after reading the article on-line.

Great to see Rob Lifson mention the Forum. I think REA is tops in sports memorabilia themed auctions.

Several years ago, one of my top clients consigned a large lot of items to REA with several one of a kind items and Rob did his due diligence and called me to work on the provenance and market values. I didn't know anything about REA before then, but realized Rob is really a one of a kind in the auction biz and this interview with MEARs proved it.

His candor about authentication, bid protection, and disclosure should give all of us a great comfort level when bidding/consigning to REA.

This is a classic about Lampson with some good humor mixed in:
Lou used to live just a few minutes away from REA. I even ran into him at the deli a couple of times. Very pleasant fellow. The last time I saw him I think he ordered a cinnamon-and-raison bagel with cream cheese. I respect his opinion about bagels. I ordered the same and was very happy. But I’m not as enthusiastic about his opinions on jerseys.

Great stuff!
Andrew

ChrisCavalier
04-24-2007, 11:29 AM
RL A: The industry has a lot of strengths. There’s a lot of great things that have happened and are happening. As far as game-used equipment – jerseys and bats – I think this area is a particular bright spot in the collecting landscape. I think the two most positive factors in this area are the MEARS and the Game Used Universe websites and forums. I know that sometimes the two sites don’t see eye to eye on everything, almost like there’s a cold war at times, but maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be: Checks and balances. The fact is that both sites have very similar goals. The valuable services and dedication and scholarly approach to the field by both of these entities is to be applauded. Both of these sites are fantastic and both give collectors access to information that just a few years ago was not accessible, and in many cases didn’t even exist. If that isn’t progress, what is? There has never been a better time to collect game-used items with reference to information available. Which brings me to the third strength of the field that I think is actually directly related to the quality and great value of MEARS and GUU: the collectors are coming back. For a while the problems with authentication were making collectors shy away from bats and uniforms. A lot of factors go into determining values, so I’m not saying that prices on any type of item are going up or down or anything like that. I’m just saying that real collectors are back with a confidence that they never had before, and that they are armed with knowledge that they never had before so that they can make the most intelligent decisions possible without just blindly relying on opinions of others. This is great. There are still plenty of problems out there, but it is now possible for collectors to collect memorabilia and understand what they are buying and not get burned. This is a big change from years past. As far as cards go, I don’t have enough time to write about all the problems in the card industry. But maybe the number one strength of the field, which applies to both cards and memorabilia, is simply that there is a growing awareness about the problems that exist, and that’s really the first step towards progress in addressing any of the issues in the field that need addressing. MEARS and GUU should be very proud. You guys don’t get the credit you deserve. From my perspective, your work is laying down the foundation that will make this field continue to survive and thrive in the future. MEARS and GUU are literally keeping the field from falling apart. I like what Steiner does also, with the new material, making sure that people are getting what they are supposed to be getting, and John Taube and Vince Malta also deserve positive mention as being part of the progress that has occurred with the body of knowledge relating to the authentication bats. I’m sure there are others and I apologize for leaving anyone out. I have also heard that GAI has a very knowledgeable authenticator but I have no personal experience with him, but have heard good things and don’t want to leave him out.
I personally have a positive opinion of Robert Lifson and I am really happy to see him recognizing the contributions of those on this forum and they value that is being added to the hobby. I also agree with him that things are getting better for collectors and will continue to get better as the collecting community gets the resources they need to make informed decisions about the items they purchase. I think Robert Lifson deserves a thank you for his comments and Dave Grob a thank you for producing the interview.

Most importantly, I want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to this site for making the hobby a better place for everyone.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

sylbry
04-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Bagels huh? It appears Lou is actually good at something. Good for him. You interested in a career change Lou? Please? I am begging you. We all are begging you.

mvandor
04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
My principal regret is I see no NFL memorabilia of value in the current REA auction. Disappointed. But glad to hear someone calling out the negative elements.