PDA

View Full Version : Lou Brock game bat identification

woodbat
04-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi,
Am new to the this forum and would like to thank Jeff Scott for the info. Just checked a couple of my HOF bats against the H&B log and have a question. I have a 73-75 Lou Brock game bat that has C171 stamped in the knob. This model does not show up in the records and Jeff thinks it is a mistake from the factory, as he has seen the bat. Does anyone else have a C171 Brock? Or can anyone offer any information on the C171? This bat came from a Leland's auction in 1994. If you would like photos of the bat, just email me... Thanks, Don
woodbat@bellsouth.net

MSpecht
04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi Don--

Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Jeff...based on Brock's H & B factory records. the bat was probably mis-branded C171 instead of the likely intended C271.

During the 1973-75 label period, Brock had four orders of Model C271 bats shipped to him, a total of 24 bats, between 3/8/74 (I believe that is the date, the record is a bit blurred) and 5/14/74. 18 of the bats were 34 1/2 inch / 33 or 34 oz, and 6 of the bats were 35 in / 35 oz.

The most common error to see in the branding process is the model number of the bat, as the model portion of the die was constructed from individual letter(s) and number(s) for each order. We have seen this type of error with Bill Madlock, Ken Griffey Sr, and Barry Bonds bats on this forum. A less common error is the use of a wrong signature on the barrel, as seen in Cal Ripken Jr bats when his father's signature was branded by mistake.

In the early part of the century, mis-spelled names (block letter) were seen with some frequency.

I hope you become a regular on the forum, Jeff is one of the numerous members who is always willing to share his expertise.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Vintagedeputy
04-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I have the Madlock mislabeled gamer mentioned and I can verify that numbers can be misbranded.