PDA

View Full Version : Mike Schmidt Jacket In Grey Flannel Auction

hblakewolf
04-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Forum Readers-
Currently offered in the Grey Flannel auction is a "game worn Mike Schmidt jacket":

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lotimages/4101_fa.jpg http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lotimages/4101_tagsa.jpg

1970s Mike Schmidt Philadelphia Phillies Worn Dugout Jacket
Lot # 513

In the back collar of this burgundy jacket with white leather sleeves is the "Wilson" size 44 manufacturers tag. "20" is written on the tag in black marker. On the left front breast is the "Phillies" embroidered team logo patch. There is a metal zipper going down the front of the jacket. The jacket shows very good wear and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

I have sold a handful of these jackets through the years, and it''s my undertanding (based upon information from my Phillies team contact) that these jackets, and this style, was first worn in 1970, and the final season used was 1972. It's possible that they were then used in spring training, 1973, however, I'm not sure if they were really indeed worn in the Florida heat.

Regadless, the description indicates it's worn by Schmidt.

I have a few issues that possibly a fellow Forum reader can answer:

1. Schmidt came up wit the Phillies at the end of the 1972 season. He was issued and wore #22, not #20 (he wore Mike Anderson's jersey). He did not wear #20 until 1973. Based on this, how can #20 be attributed to Schmidt's jacket, unless it was worn in 1973 spring training? As of this post, I have never been able to locate any photos or evidence that they were worn in spring training, 1973, however, am assuming it's possible as the Phillies often re-used their prior seasons equipment in spring training. Any photos experts have any photos from 1973 shwoing a player wearing these?

2. Based on the photo, how can it be determined that the number in the collar is indeed 20? It appears it is 2 and then some unknown second number written over a previous number.

3. The Wilson tag with the line next to the size was last used by Wilson on their 1973 jerseys.

I have several customers seeking Schmidt game worn equipment, and would enjoy bidding on this, if it can be proven it was indeed issued or worn by Mike. Any help is appreciated in determining the authenticity.

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS EQUIPMENT

zonker
04-21-2007, 07:12 AM
hey howard looking at the remnant's of the earlier light brown marker on the tagging it look's like it was origanaly # 20 later used by #24 and the initial's above in the light brown marker definately look like RF which would be roger freed #20 up till 1973. can't find pictures of jacket to possible photo match. so just an opion.

hblakewolf
05-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Forum Readers-

I have been asked several times since making my original post about this jacket. I will repeat......

I've been collecting Phillies equipment since 1982. I've seen plenty of Schmidt bats, hats and shoes, that were used throughout his career and all of which have his uniform number 20 inked on them. Not only have I never seen any piece of game used Schmidt equipment identified with this style/type of "20" as seen on this jacket, the bigger issue is how one can state that this was ever worn by Schmidt, as the number is illegible? Unless I'm missing something, how can someone even claim it is a 20 written in the collar?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net