PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Jerseys in Grey Flannel's Auction

beantown
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Just noticed that Grey Flannel's summer auction is up and running...they have a 2006 Willie Parker and Joey Porter Steelers jersey, however, they both fail to have the custom sleeves and hemmed length...

otismalibu
04-20-2007, 05:32 PM
FWP is listed at 5'10" 210 lbs.
Peezy is listed at 6'3" 250 lbs.

I would have guessed that the bigger guy would wear the larger jersey. The Porter is a 44 while the Parker is a 46.

I'm not really up on football gamers. Do RBs wear more pads than LBs?

beantown
04-20-2007, 05:37 PM
FWP is listed at 5'10" 210 lbs.
Peezy is listed at 6'3" 250 lbs.

I would have guessed that the bigger guy would wear the larger jersey. The Porter is a 44 while the Parker is a 46.

I'm not really up on football gamers. Do RBs wear more pads than LBs?

Yeah, I would have guessed that Porter would have worn a bigger size than Parker....

Nathan
04-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Depends on the player. I'm 5'11" and wore a 5X (I think a size 68) last time I played because I had had recent shoulder problems.

It's not out of the question for a linebacker to wear a jersey that makes "skintight" look baggy. The main reason is to prevent offensive players from having any extra material to grab onto. I don't know that the circumstantial anecdote that is size to jersey size is enough to disqualify or qualify a jersey as being good; a guy's individual sizing history would probably be a better piece of the puzzle.

Of course, the fact that we're the ones trying to put the puzzle together instead of those who are paid to do it is pathetic.:rolleyes:

RKGIBSON
04-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Usually a specific jersey size and cut is used to fit the shoulder pads and give the player the basic sleeves he wants. The jersey is then modified by the equipment personel to fit the body of the player. Usually spandex in the sides, and a lot of the time into the bottom of the sleeves, tails are cut, elastic added to the tail or sleeves, etc. This procedure has been explained to me by a couple different people, Kevin Greene and most recently Skip Richardson, the head of football operations at Jacksonville.

Some other things Skip told me is as follows:
*The Reebok jerseys come to the teams as blanks, no numbers or names, just specific cuts and sizes.
*They are each modified to each player specifications, in house.
*Numbers and names are sewn on in house.
*Name plates are made up in house.
*Each player has a game jersey and a back-up, home and away.
*Some of the high profile players have and many as 6 jerseys, on the Jaguars.
*Jerseys are inspected after each game, laundered and repaired, in house.
*If a number is damaged, only that number is replaced. If a letter in the name is damaged, only the letter that is damaged is replaced.
*Generally speaking, when the jersey becomes too worn, it is replaced. The good numbers, name plate, letters, etc are re-used on the new blank jersey.

I talk to Skip on a fairly regular basis. He is a car guy, 69 Hemi Charger. He calls me to talk cars and I call him to talk football. Attached are some pictures of the 2005 game used Fred Taylor jersey that Skip gave me. We talked about helmets too, I'll just say I will not buy a helmet without knowing a team or league source.

Kevin said that the Steelers were basically the same. He has 1 game and 1 back-up jersey. His jerseys, like many players today, are highly modified and it is hard to get them just right. Attached are a couple of examples.

The first picture, see how the jersey is cut & spandex is curved, wider at the bottom, to make the jersey fit Taylor's body perfectly.

The other pictures are of Kevin's sleeves, he started this in '93 and got away from it in '99 when he went to smaller shoulder pad. He has eyelets sewn in and used soe laces to tie the sleeves to the shoulder pads. He wanted the jerseys so tight to prevent holding. You can also see several modifications to the under arm area, tucks, etc.

With this all being said, I can tell by looking that both guys have modified jerseys. Porters is very tight. The spandex should be tapered like the Taylor picture, probably more.

I hope some of this is helpful and eye opening on this team issue, game issue thing that is debated here a lot.

Roger