PDA

View Full Version : "Who'd Bother Faking a Common Player Jersey?"

kingjammy24
04-20-2007, 02:23 PM
excellent article by dave miedema:

http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=253

i know the moseby jersey he refers to and have it in my photo library. just like the "1987 mcgriff" in historic's current auction, it's a bizarre jersey from start to finish. dave also references this 1987 mcgriff in his article. it was last sold in a gfc auction and now appears in historic's current auction. apparently, neither gfc nor lampson noticed that the script was incorrect and that the back numbers look as if they'd been cut by an inebriated 12 yr old.

it's been suggested to me that, contrary to my original idea that it might be a salesman's sample, it's a built-from-scratch fake with handcut numbers and team script; built from a blank retail jersey which was available at the time. the cut of the script and numbers is incredibly sloppy and is nothing like the die cut script and numbers seen on any jays gamers from that era.

rudy.

Nathan
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Ask Milt Byron (big-time hockey dealer out of the Philly area) about Custom Crafted and common player fakes. The reason that this enormous fraud scheme was able to elude being picked up on was because the market wasn't pumped full of fake star jerseys....there were a lot of commons and local heroes out there.

Neely8
04-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Ask Milt Byron (big-time hockey dealer out of the Philly area) about Custom Crafted and common player fakes. The reason that this enormous fraud scheme was able to elude being picked up on was because the market wasn't pumped full of fake star jerseys....there were a lot of commons and local heroes out there.

Although the commons weren't nearly as prevalent as the stars (Bourque, Neely, and Oates) some were pumped out in addition to the star fakes.