PDA

View Full Version : Help with Dodgers jersey

RJB44
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
I have a late 1980's or early 1990's Dodger's jersey which I am trying to figure out if it's is game used, minor league issued, spring training used, Fantasy Camp issued or otherwise non-club issued. It is a Rawlings home white with proper numbering and lettering. Has the name CAMPBELL sewn on the back, professionally done with individual tackle twill letters. It has the number 35 front and back with no indication of number change. I was told it belonged to a Dodger Scout named Jim Campbell. I was able to verify that the Dodgers did have such a Scout working for them in the early 1990's, however I was not able to get any other information. Can't ID a player by that name on the Dodgers.

The tagging throws me off, it has the Rawlings tag in the lower front with only a size flag tag (46). there is no Set Tag with year. There is a small Rawlings sleeve logo, but it is on the opposite side compared to what I see in Dodgers photos. Trying to figure this out. Email me and I will send you more detailed pictures.

kingjammy24
01-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Again, I'm sure a Dodgers expert will be able to offer greater insight but here are some of my cursory observations that may help you eventually discover the real identity of your jersey.

1) I didn't know they made jerseys for scouts?

2) The first thing that catches my eye is the red Rawlings tag. I believe the last year Rawlings used the red tag was 1987. In 1988, they switched to the white tag. So you're looking at jersey which dates to the late 80's, as opposed to the early 90's. Judging solely by the Rawlings tag, I believe this could either be only an 1987 or 1988 jersey. (The first year Rawlings manufactured the Dodgers jerseys was 1987. Previously they were made by Goodman.)

4) In 1987, the Dodgers wore patches on both their right and left sleeves.
I don't see any patches? (In 1988, they wore a spring training only patch).

5) In 1987 Dodgers jerseys were tagged in the neck. I believe they were tagged in the neck for 1988 as well.

Below are some examples of Dodgers tagging in 1987:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4378/dodgers9cm.jpg

So where does all this point to? I have no idea what your jersey is but it doesn't seem it was game-used or game-issued in 1987 or 1988 in either the regular season or spring training. Do you see any evidence of a patch having been removed on either of the sleeves?

Rudy.

RJB44
01-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the Response. There is a small Rawlings script tag on the left sleeve. There dosen't appear to be any evidence of other patchs on either sleeve. There are some instances in which club Scouts serve as Spring Training or Traveling Minor League Instructors, although I'm not sure if this was case here. The Red Rawlings tag is slightly different then what you have pictured above no size listed on the tag itself.

bigtime59
01-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Is Rawlings spelled out on the sleeve, or does the jersey have the R in a circle logo? If it's a circle R, I'd be willing to bet that it's a minor league jersey (Vero Beach Dodgers, perhaps?) of more recent vintage...but none of the Rawlings minor league pieces I own (mostly Bluefield Orioles, Bowie Baysox and Rochester Redwings combines that logo with a red tag like the one you've shown.
Did I just make the confusion here worse? Sorry.

RJB44
01-08-2006, 02:19 AM
It is spelled out (See picture). I wonder what other Dodger minor league teams wore these type jerseys, identical to LA Club with name sewn on the back as is with this one. Could this be a 'Fantasy Camp" issue? I understand that camp participants got personlized uniforms during there stay.

island_style
01-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Awhile back, I did inquire to the Dodgers Fantasy Camp what type of jerseys were issued for the campers. At that time (early 2K? not too sure), I was advised that they were using Russell jerseys. However, they mentioned that they were not tagged like the MLB team would wear (no collar tag, wash tag/year tag/100% Polyester flag tag sewn to the inside left tail). Additionally, I've learned from a camper that he was issued one personalized set each (home and road) of AIS-manufactured jerseys for his Dodger camp.