PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics Auction Results

staindsox
04-16-2007, 12:01 PM
VA just emailed me the results from their last auction. It seems to me that many of their game used items, across the board, sold for much then they have in the past. Any comments on this?

staindsox
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
They just seem low to me.

Examples:

Lot 24Mark McGwire 1993 Game Used Jersey GU7$808.40
Lot 29Justin Morneau 2003 Game Used Rookie Jersey GU7$991.70 Lot 32Barry Zito 2002 Game Used Jersey GU7$305.50Lot 33Tony Gwynn 1999 Game Used Jersey GU7.5$752.93Lot 38Tim Hudson 2002 Game Used Jersey GU8.5$226.78Lot 39Torii Hunter 2006 Game Used & Autographed Batting Practice Jersey$106.93Lot 75Johan Santana Game Used & Autographed Bat$228.15 Lot 77Justin Morneau 2003-06 Game Used Bat A6$229.13

reed1216
04-17-2007, 04:34 AM
In my opinion it comes down to the level of faith people have that items they win are real. I bid on the Brosius and the Cone and I'm actually surprised that the Brosius went for as much as it did. The Cone went for lower than I expected and I'm disappointed that I fell asleep at the wheel on it and missed a chance at a great buy. The incorrect listing, as well as Lampson's LOA might have hurt the price, but who knows for sure...

With that said, those were really the only two items of baseball game worn jerseys that I had 100% faith in. Lampson LOAs are a complete farce. They seem to raise questions, rather than provide faith that the item is legit, as is the purpose of any LOA. Even the Aaron jersey, which was tempting, was something that I didn't want to touch. It looked good, but when you factor in all the crap that's been going on with fakes and the auction houses that enable these criminals who produce them, why would I take a chance??

I really think we are seeing a trend here, at least I hope we are. Why on Earth would anyone spend thousands of bucks on a jersey that MIGHT be used?? When I look at the jerseys I have on my wall, I want to be able to think to myself that they're the real deal. Any questions that might arise would significantly detract from my enjoyment of them. Isn't that what this hobby is all about??

Eric
04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
In my opinion it comes down to the level of faith people have that items they win are real. I bid on the Brosius and the Cone and I'm actually surprised that the Brosius went for as much as it did. The Cone went for lower than I expected and I'm disappointed that I fell asleep at the wheel on it and missed a chance at a great buy. The incorrect listing, as well as Lampson's LOA might have hurt the price, but who knows for sure...

With that said, those were really the only two items of baseball game worn jerseys that I had 100% faith in. Lampson LOAs are a complete farce. They seem to raise questions, rather than provide faith that the item is legit, as is the purpose of any LOA. Even the Aaron jersey, which was tempting, was something that I didn't want to touch. It looked good, but when you factor in all the crap that's been going on with fakes and the auction houses that enable these criminals who produce them, why would I take a chance??

I really think we are seeing a trend here, at least I hope we are. Why on Earth would anyone spend thousands of bucks on a jersey that MIGHT be used?? When I look at the jerseys I have on my wall, I want to be able to think to myself that they're the real deal. Any questions that might arise would significantly detract from my enjoyment of them. Isn't that what this hobby is all about??

The Brosius and Cone were both my consignments. Why would Lampson write a letter on something that Yankees Steiner already certified?

cjmedina1
04-17-2007, 02:04 PM
The Brosius and Cone were both my consignments. Why would Lampson write a letter on something that Yankees Steiner already certified?

Eric

From what I have read on this site he is soso on the COA.Since Steiner has inside connections with the Yanks he wants to jump on the bandwagon:eek:
Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

staindsox
04-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that Eric. That's odd because I would trust Steiner more than Lampson. That only hurts the bidding on those items. The jerseys may have gone for more if they didn't involve Lou at all.

reed1216
04-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I thought it was strange that Lampson wrote additional LOAs on those (Brosius and Cone) too. I bought a Mussina from them and it too had a Lampson COA, which is worthless to me. I also noticed that REA has addititional MEARS LOAs with their Steiner/Yankee items. They are all perfect 10s and REA mentions the population reports to suggest that these are rare. Plus, I just purchased a Righetti Yankee/Steiner jersey from a forum member and it also has a MEARS letter. It's a great shirt and it too received a perfect 10.

I suppose the auction houses might be trying to appeal to collectors who might be unfamiliar with Steiner (or more familiar with them as an autograph broker). With the Cone, maybe potential bidders were scared off by the conflicting information regarding the years of use on the two LOAs. It was poorly explained in the Lampson LOA and wasn't mentioned in the Steiner LOA. Either way, I would have thought the Cone would have fetched more. Then again, I am usually surprised by the prices realized in auctions.

I have several Steiner/Yankee jerseys and I have no intention of sending them to an authenticator. They already have team LOAs, as far as I'm concerned. If I ever do though, I will be certain to send them to MEARS, rather than Lampson. Lampson gives lower grades and seems to raise more questions.