PDA

View Full Version : I would like to see a game used convention

RKGIBSON
04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I would like to see the formation of a "Game Used Forum Convention". I think it would be good to meet the others that frequent this forum. It would be good to put together a special collection, of unquestionable game used items, from all sports to veiw and eductate each other. Also to buy, sell and trade items. I like to examine items in person. What do you think?

Roger

geoff
04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Great idea maybe one day we can make it happen

otismalibu
04-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I'll cast my vote for Lou Lampson as the guest speaker at the 1st Annual GUF Convention.

Maybe he could authenticate some NFL helmets for us, assuming he brings his wrenches.

kylehess10
04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I would like to see the formation of a "Game Used Forum Convention". I think it would be good to meet the others that frequent this forum. It would be good to put together a special collection, of unquestionable game used items, from all sports to veiw and eductate each other. Also to buy, sell and trade items. I like to examine items in person. What do you think?

Roger

This is a VERY good idea. There are always tons of card shows out there so there should be "game used shows". Beckett Baseball Card Monthly has a section for card shows and Beckett Elite would be perfect for memorabilia shows.

reed1216
04-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I think a convention would be a great idea. The hockey forums sponser them a few times a year and from what I can gather, they go over very well. In fact, some collectors in Phoenix are having a mini-convention this Saturday. It'll be the first time I will have had the opportunity to meet collectors of game worn hockey jerseys and memorabilia in my immediate area.

PK
04-13-2007, 07:16 AM
For hockey there are the most. Meigray hosts one every July at their HQ in New Jersey, plus collectors have hockey game used espos in Vancouver, Boston and Detroit most every year. The Toronto Expo also has game used stuff 2x a year http://www.sportcardexpo.com/

The National in Cali is the big one for non hockey sports

sylbry
04-13-2007, 07:43 AM
I can see the headlines already. "Convention center riot occurs after goers question authenticity of items."

suave1477
04-13-2007, 10:10 AM
For hockey there are the most. Meigray hosts one every July at their HQ in New Jersey, plus collectors have hockey game used espos in Vancouver, Boston and Detroit most every year. The Toronto Expo also has game used stuff 2x a year http://www.sportcardexpo.com/

The National in Cali is the big one for non hockey sports

I don't think the National is on California every year. This year it is in Ohio.

Well not to go as far as a convention how about jsut like a gathering/meet and greet of the members of the forum just to get it started.

I read somewhere a Baseball Jersey collectors group has started a few years ago in New York and people would meet up once a month at a back room of a bar either wearing there favorite Jerseys or selling Jerseys/Buying and you know conduct business, have fun , talk about baseball , talk about there favorite Jerseys. Things like that.

I would thing that would be a great way to get the ball rolling on this.....

Nathan
04-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I've been working on bringing one to central Ohio for a while now but haven't had much success.

How many out there in collectorland would be up for a sojourn to Columbus for a day or two convention?

Eric
04-13-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry, but if we're going to do this we should do it right. A week in Hawaii. Now who's gonna pay for this thing?

suave1477
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Hawaii would be nice I vote Eric to pay for all of us lol lol:D

But on a serious note why not do it in New York I happen to know a great Hall], doesn't cost much and they rent it out all the time to Collector clubs that meet once a month to show off there items and stuff. (With a bar on premises)

Just so happens my father is President of the largest Custom Knife club in the East Coast. And he gets people from all over driving in from far places once a month.

Its not a bad idea?????

kylehess10
04-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Atlanta wouldn't be a bad place to have it ;)

3arod13
04-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I can see the headlines already. "Convention center riot occurs after goers question authenticity of items."

Good one! I can see that happening. More time spent questioning the authenticity of each others items at the convention.

On a serious note, this would be great and I would definately go...no matter where it's held.

suave1477
04-13-2007, 11:32 AM
from what I take and I could be wrong but I blieve a good amount of us are from the Northern East Coast so I think somewhere in the North East would be best.

I know I quite a few people I speak with here are from NY NJ PA and OH

camarokids
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM
from what I take and I could be wrong but I blieve a good amount of us are from the Northern East Coast so I think somewhere in the North East would be best.

I know I quite a few people I speak with here are from NY NJ PA and OH

what about the weather??? come on down here to Florida and you can see some "game used" bikini's while you're at it .

Hawaii sounds great but too expensive, unless Eric does agree to pick up the tab......

PK
04-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Why not try to met up at the Meigray Expo on July 14???? I am already attending. Meigray HQ is about 40 minutes from the city, Mets are in town and hotel is $89, can't lose!!!!

I know it is mainly hockey, but Meigray also has baseball and basketball jerseys. plus they usually announce special deals for people who attend and you get tours of the "mecca" of game worn jerseys.

Lots of the collectors that attend cross over and collect more then just hockey

here is a post that Barry made with all the info.

Hi everybody,

We just booked the Ballroom, so we wanted to give everybody as much notice as possible ...

Last year we hosted the Hockey Hall of Fame curators Phil Pritchard and Izak Westgate, former Philadelphia Flyer Dave Schultz, and 156 collectors. It was easily the most well-attended show in Game-Worn Hockey Expo history.

And this summer we hope to beat that with an even better Expo.

What: Fourth Annual MeiGray Game-Worn Jersey Expo

When: Saturday, July 14, 2007 (9 a.m.-4 p.m.)

Where: Bridgewater, New Jersey Marriott. 700 Commons Way, Bridgewater, NJ 08807 … Five minutes from MeiGray’s offices in Branchburg, NJ … 35 minutes from Newark Airport ... Special Expo room rate of $89 available through Friday, June 22. Ask for Game-Worn Jersey Expo. Marriott’s toll-free number is 888-542-0300. Hotel’s direct number is 908-927-9300.

Featured Guest: To Be Announced.

Other Highlights:
· MGG to host a Friday night hotel hospitality room.
· Dealer tables, $200
· Collector tables, to be offered once available space is determined.
· Daily Tour of MeiGray’s 5,200-square foot facility after the Expo ends.
· MeiGray and MeiGray Vintage Exhibits

$15 Registration Fee
· Expo admission.
· MeiGray Tour, First opportunity to take advantage of 2007 Summer Sale.
· Register in advance, attend the show, and get $50 off coupon on any future in-stock jersey purchase after Expo when you pick up your registration packet at the show.

Regards,

Barry

suave1477
04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Pk appreciate the info but unfortunately I myself have no interest in Hockey and even so that it may branch out into other sports. It is still focused on Hockey.

Other members here maybe able to enjoy it but personally I would think it would be best if we had a Baseball or just general sports Game Used Collectors meeting.

And it really should be one of our own formed by members from Game Used Forum / Universe.

jdr3
04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Warren Humphries house in L.A.!

kylehess10
04-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Why not try to met up at the Meigray Expo on July 14???? I am already attending. Meigray HQ is about 40 minutes from the city, Mets are in town and hotel is $89, can't lose!!!!

I know it is mainly hockey, but Meigray also has baseball and basketball jerseys. plus they usually announce special deals for people who attend and you get tours of the "mecca" of game worn jerseys.

Lots of the collectors that attend cross over and collect more then just hockey

here is a post that Barry made with all the info.

Hi everybody,

We just booked the Ballroom, so we wanted to give everybody as much notice as possible ...

Last year we hosted the Hockey Hall of Fame curators Phil Pritchard and Izak Westgate, former Philadelphia Flyer Dave Schultz, and 156 collectors. It was easily the most well-attended show in Game-Worn Hockey Expo history.

And this summer we hope to beat that with an even better Expo.

What: Fourth Annual MeiGray Game-Worn Jersey Expo

When: Saturday, July 14, 2007 (9 a.m.-4 p.m.)

Where: Bridgewater, New Jersey Marriott. 700 Commons Way, Bridgewater, NJ 08807 … Five minutes from MeiGray’s offices in Branchburg, NJ … 35 minutes from Newark Airport ... Special Expo room rate of $89 available through Friday, June 22. Ask for Game-Worn Jersey Expo. Marriott’s toll-free number is 888-542-0300. Hotel’s direct number is 908-927-9300.

Featured Guest: To Be Announced.

Other Highlights:
· MGG to host a Friday night hotel hospitality room.
· Dealer tables, $200
· Collector tables, to be offered once available space is determined.
· Daily Tour of MeiGray’s 5,200-square foot facility after the Expo ends.
· MeiGray and MeiGray Vintage Exhibits

$15 Registration Fee
· Expo admission.
· MeiGray Tour, First opportunity to take advantage of 2007 Summer Sale.
· Register in advance, attend the show, and get $50 off coupon on any future in-stock jersey purchase after Expo when you pick up your registration packet at the show.

Regards,

Barry

I agree with suave on this.....there's not many hockey collector's on here, plus their pricing is ridiculous for both dealer tables and admission.

A good idea would be to figure out where most forum members live and to set up a meeting someplace in that city. So have a meet up in Atlanta,New York,Florida,etc.etc.

hiramman
04-13-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm with Kyle. Since I live outside Atlanta, I vote Atlanta.

Eric - what about a poll of some kind listing major cities and maybe we could see what everyone thinks.

If it is within driving distance, I'd be for meeting up with other local collector's and carpooling up and back. I think it would even be fun visiting and discussing the hobby as we drive to the convention.

Mike Heffner
04-13-2007, 08:15 PM
There was a sports equipment show that used to be held in the Washington/Baltimore area every year. It was organized in part by Phil Wood and it was a blast. It lasted for a few years and it was one of my favorite shows-we set up at every one-there were about 5 of them in total (best I can recall.) Around 20 to 30 dealers would set up but it was a lot of fun and very educational. Collectors and dealers would bring items and the authenticity or lack thereof would be discussed. This was the old days when the consensus of opinions counted-the time when everyone shared their information freely and did not walk around like gunslingers in the Old West with their pens and letters of authenticity. It was a much more fun time. I also remember that card dealers were not allowed to set up but it was OK to show up with memorabilia. I think that the problem was that organizing a show like this, although a small one, was very time consuming and almost like a job (at least part time.) I am all for it and was giving thought to it the other day before I saw this post. If it would be on the East Coast I would certainly be willing to contribute time and/or sponsorship.

Mike Heffner

kylehess10
04-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Eric - what about a poll of some kind listing major cities and maybe we could see what everyone thinks.

If it is within driving distance, I'd be for meeting up with other local collector's and carpooling up and back. I think it would even be fun visiting and discussing the hobby as we drive to the convention.

VERY good idea! There should be a poll for cities, and for the chosen cities, there should be another poll for exactly where to meet up.

bat_master
04-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I'll probably take a bit of heat for this, but I vote for Omaha, Nebraska as the meeting site.

It's a good sized city which is really centrally located in the United States. Many hotels available and it would also be withing driving distance for nearly anyone with the exception of the extremities.

I'm in Minnesota and would have absolutely no problem driving to Omaha. I believe from the twin cities it is around a 6 hour drive which is a piece of cake in good weather.

Plus I'm not a flyer so that would be beneficial.

JETEFAN
04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I think it would be a good idea to set up some type of poll to find out where the members of this forum live. Based on that, pick a spot closest to where the bulk of the members reside.

George

indyred
04-13-2007, 09:35 PM
I like PK idea of seeing if Meigray would branch out and make it more of a all around sports show. They already have an up and running show that keeps getting bigger. Why not make it huge National type game used show.
The big question is how many big time dealers would do it and set up?
Somehow have a big time live auction be a centerpiece of the show as well. Promoted well in advance. Maybe this forum could run one from it.
Get big 4 auctions of MLB.com, NFL.com, NBA.com, NHL.com have some type of presence with items for sale.

MooseDog
04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Now come on guys, if you're going to have a convention there is only one place in the US to do it, if you're going to do it right...

http://definingthenorm.com/normalism/normalism/images/friends/las-vegas-small.jpg

kylehess10
04-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Now come on guys, if you're going to have a convention there is only one place in the US to do it, if you're going to do it right...

http://definingthenorm.com/normalism/normalism/images/friends/las-vegas-small.jpg

But if you REALLY wanna do it right, then you'd have only 1 choice :D :D :D

http://www.slrobertson.com/images/usa/georgia/atlanta/downtown/atlanta-skyline-night-b.jpg

both-teams-played-hard
04-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Warren Humphries house in L.A.!
Warren lives in an apartment. He barely has enough room for his pet cat. Besides, Los Angeles is a lame city, filled with lame people. I feel very sad for families who take their summer vacation to Hollywood. Depressing...potholes, derelicts, crackheads, pigeon excrament, general filth, public-defacators, he-shes, smog, earthquakes, graffitti, traffic, people who think they're better than anyone, fair-weathered sports fans, vandals, thieves, con-artists, crooks, wanna-bes...otherwise, Los Angeles is a great place.
My vote is for the gulf coast of Florida.
Did I mention the traffic in L.A.?

otismalibu
04-14-2007, 06:20 PM
If you do decide on a convention, you may want to keep the location top secret.

BarryMeisel
04-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Kylehess,

MeiGray welcomes constructive comments and criticisms and encourages healthy conversation of our business. And I agree with you that for those who are not hockey game-worn jersey collectors, the MeiGray NJ Expo does not really address the desires of some of you in this post.

But I will not permit you to make such an uninformed and irresponsible statement on a public Forum like this ... "plus their pricing is ridiculous for both dealer tables and admission." ... without a reply.

Ridiculous? For $15 we hosted an Expo for game-worn hockey jerseys in which collectors were able to view some of the most historic game worn jerseys on the planet owned by the major hockey dealers and collectors from around the country.

For $15 these collectors were able to view a mini-exhibit from the Hockey Hall of Fame, who were hosted by MeiGray, at MeiGray's expense, at this Expo. For $15 these collectors met former Philadelphia Flyer Dave Schultz, who appeared at MeiGray's expense as part of our relationship with the NHL Players Association.

For $15 these collectors were invited to a Friday night hospitality suite hosted by MeiGray to meet and greet other collectors from around the country. Every collector who attended the show, for their $15 registration fee, received a $50 off coupon from MeiGray for their next purchase, and a free blank hockey jersey from the NHL-MGG Program's overstock. And this event was held in a luxurious hotel 45 minutes from NY City.

For $175, last year's dealer table price, dealers of game-worn hockey jerseys found nearly 200 avid collectors and curious onlookers eager to purchase game-worn hockey jerseys. When the show end, every dealer was extremely pleased with his afternoon.

Please feel free to comment whenever you want. But may I respectfully suggest you have a better idea of what you are commenting upon before you criticize MeiGray's business practices.

Regards,

Barry

kylehess10
04-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Kylehess,

MeiGray welcomes constructive comments and criticisms and encourages healthy conversation of our business. And I agree with you that for those who are not hockey game-worn jersey collectors, the MeiGray NJ Expo does not really address the desires of some of you in this post.

But I will not permit you to make such an uninformed and irresponsible statement on a public Forum like this ... "plus their pricing is ridiculous for both dealer tables and admission." ... without a reply.

Ridiculous? For $15 we hosted an Expo for game-worn hockey jerseys in which collectors were able to view some of the most historic game worn jerseys on the planet owned by the major hockey dealers and collectors from around the country.

For $15 these collectors were able to view a mini-exhibit from the Hockey Hall of Fame, who were hosted by MeiGray, at MeiGray's expense, at this Expo. For $15 these collectors met former Philadelphia Flyer Dave Schultz, who appeared at MeiGray's expense as part of our relationship with the NHL Players Association.

For $15 these collectors were invited to a Friday night hospitality suite hosted by MeiGray to meet and greet other collectors from around the country. Every collector who attended the show, for their $15 registration fee, received a $50 off coupon from MeiGray for their next purchase, and a free blank hockey jersey from the NHL-MGG Program's overstock. And this event was held in a luxurious hotel 45 minutes from NY City.

For $175, last year's dealer table price, dealers of game-worn hockey jerseys found nearly 200 avid collectors and curious onlookers eager to purchase game-worn hockey jerseys. When the show end, every dealer was extremely pleased with his afternoon.

Please feel free to comment whenever you want. But may I respectfully suggest you have a better idea of what you are commenting upon before you criticize MeiGray's business practices.

Regards,

Barry

Sorry, I wasn't trying to criticize Meigray in any way, I was just saying that the prices were high. Most memorabilia shows near me charge nothing for admission, and charge like $80 for a weekend show for dealers. I was comparing your prices to theirs, which is why I said the prices were high.

Kyle

BarryMeisel
04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Kylehess,

You didn't say high. You said ridiculous.

No hard feelings, no problem. Just please remember that before you make statements like you did, you should have an idea of what you are talking about.

I wouldn't criticize or comment or compare our Expo to the shows near you, because I've never been to any near you. Conversely, until you attend our show, or until you know something about it, you should not have, either.

All the best. And you are welcome to attend our show this July 14. In fact, if you wish to attend I will waive the $15 admission fee for you and a guest of your choice since you find the fee so high.

Even if you don't like hockey, or hockey collecting, I believe you would learn a lot about the game-worn hobby, and high-level authenticating, by attending a MeiGray Expo.

Respectfully,

Barry

earlywynnfan
04-15-2007, 12:05 AM
while you guys decide, if anyone wants to "gather" during the National, I'm about 1/2 hour away. We can do an informal "chat/BS" type get-together, burgers and beer and whatever, then head to the show. I can't put anyone up, but I can open my house for hanging out.

Ken

earlywynnfan
04-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Also, it should be noted that we have no smog here in Cleveland, and very little in terms of traffic jams! Deserted buildings, snow in April, and a lousy football team, sure, but no smog!

PK
04-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Ken do you have a link with info on the National? I am in Rochester about 4 hour drive and may make the trip.

Kudos to Barry, I was reading kylehess10 relpy and was going to reply but could not have done it any better then Barry!!!

I wonder how many on here have ever tried to put on an expo??? Anyone one?? I have done trade shows and special events for almost 15 years, almost as long as kylehess10 has been alive since I have read his posts that he is still a student. It is not an easy thing at all. One show is a full time job for the show organizer plus a lot of $$ out of their own pocket with no guarantee of making any money back.

I can safely say that April is a little late to start to organize a game used expo with dealers and the whole 9 yards. If you are just going to have a get together at a bar or soemthing and show off your own stuff that can be easely arranged for little cost except for travel, hotel. food and car rental. But I do not see many people spending that type of $$ to attend that type of event.

I stll suggest attending the Meigray Expo as a place to meet up and see what actually happens first hand and start to plan your own expo for next year.

You will also be able to speak with dealers who know the business and learn valuable info. Plus if Barry gets enough feedback, I would bet the $37 dollars in my pocket he would think about expanding his expo as Meigray is #1 in all of the game used field.

HOPE TO SEE YOU IN JULY, IF NOT THEN AT THE NATIONAL. and kylehess10, if you are over 21, on top of Barry picking up you $15 fee, I will buy you all your beer while at the expo!!

CHEERS

Matt

suave1477
04-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Well as far as cost to a get together at a bar or lounge of some sort, is really not that costly contrary to what others say but everyone has there own opinion.

Personally before turning this into a whole organized expo first evovling around Hockey items and hopefully one day going towards baseball doesn't give me goose bumps.

I personally would just like it to start off as a small gathering amongst friends / members of this forum.

Before we decide to be the next International Car Show.

earlywynnfan
04-15-2007, 01:04 PM
No links yet, I'm sure they'll be out soon.

Ken

ChrisCavalier
04-15-2007, 02:08 PM
I personally would just like it to start off as a small gathering amongst friends / members of this forum.

Hello Everyone,

I have been traveling this week but am also trying to keep up to date on the forum threads. After reading all the posts on this thread, I would like to offer the ability to use the Game Used Universe booth at the National (we will be set up in the corporate section) as a place where members can come at any time to get to know one another and share experiences/information in person. GUU could keep a log of when members come by as well as when they might be able to come back to the booth if other members would like to meet them in person. We can also discuss getting together outside the show if people would like to meet in a more casual setting.

In addition, I believe some of the GUU experts will be there throughout the convention and we can share information and discuss the possibilities of putting a formal show together if there is enough interest. If a show would be beneficial to the members of this site, GUU would be happy to look into the possibility of hosting it.

What do you guys think? I will be back at my computer later tonight and would be happy to answer any questions at that time if this idea seems appealing.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

hiramman
04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
PK - I believe Kyle has said he just turned 17, so beer should be out of the question.

I understand what Kyle was saying, since I remember being a 17 year old collector and on a student's budget. Don't be too hard on the guy. He seems to me to be an enthusiastic collector and adds a great deal of input on the forum. I wish there were more young collectors with his attitude toward baseball & collecting these days. We should all encourage our young collectors to be more involved. Plus it looks like he's on his way to having an awesome collection.

I know where Barry is coming from. Putting on shows of any kind of that magnitude is really unbelievable these days. I can't imagine the headaches involved.

I'm here in the Atlanta area, too and we just don't have any big shows anymore. The days of the big shows of the 80's & early 90's have come and gone and those were probably a bit before Kyle's time.

Just my two cents.

ChrisCavalier
04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
PK - I believe Kyle has said he just turned 17, so beer should be out of the question.

I understand what Kyle was saying, since I remember being a 17 year old collector and on a student's budget. Don't be too hard on the guy. He seems to me to be an enthusiastic collector and adds a great deal of input on the forum. I wish there were more young collectors with his attitude toward baseball & collecting these days. We should all encourage our young collectors to be more involved. Plus it looks like he's on his way to having an awesome collection.
Hello Jimmie,

Thanks for making this post. I think that is a very astute observation and I agree that Kyle meant no harm. I also think his knowledge and fervor for the hobby is great to see and I really enjoy reading his posts.

Sincerely,
Chris

PK
04-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Well as far as cost to a get together at a bar or lounge of some sort, is really not that costly contrary to what others say but everyone has there own opinion.

Personally before turning this into a whole organized expo first evovling around Hockey items and hopefully one day going towards baseball doesn't give me goose bumps.

Suave, I know a bar/lounge is not that expensive, hence why I daid that might work. What I did say was expensive was the air fare, hotel, car and food and just having the guys hang out with no dealers might be a hard sell.

Props to Chris for offering up his booth at the National as a gathering point for collectors, I hope many people can take advantage of his generosity, including myself. I just was thinking that NY would be an easier destination then Cleveland.

Kyle and others, please accept my apology if I offended you , I ment no harm. Some things are easier said then done and planning a trade show/expo/convention is one of them.

RKGIBSON
04-15-2007, 07:47 PM
My thoughts are a large meeting room, for a day, at a motel or a meeting hall. Having it in a medium size city would probably make the cost less.

Personally, I want to see some of the great jerseys, in person, that are shown here. Putting a face with the names here seem like something that would help. A discussion on the way we, as a group, can have the greatest impact on the game used market.

Roger

suave1477
04-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Roger I agree with you a 100%

thats what I said to begin with.

89ASMVPBats
04-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Ken do you have a link with info on the National? I am in Rochester about 4 hour drive and may make the trip.

Matt,

Here is a link to the National's website:

http://www.nsccshow.com/

Hope that this helps,

Drew

PK
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Drew, thanks for the link!!!

Aug 1-5....might also have to make a pit stop and the Rock n' Roll HOF:D

RobSteinmetz
04-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Everyone.

In a hobby that has lost touch with good old fashioned face-to-face networking and horse trading, I absolutely love this concept. How would everyone feel about giving this idea a whirl at this year's National in Cleveland? Game Used Universe could sponsor a collector's reception and expo in a small conference room/multipurpose room at a hotel in the Cleveland area (near the convention center). The event could be held after the show closes, and could be open to all GUU members. We could have space for collectors to exhibits their favorite treasures, network, trade, and enjoy some drinks and appetizers. Personally speaking, I would be much more likely to attend the National every year if I had something like this to look forward to. This could be a "test" for future events in other parts of the country at other times of the year. Anyone interested who plans on being in Cleveland for the National this year?

Let's do this.

Rob Steinmetz

kylehess10
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi Everyone.

In a hobby that has lost touch with good old fashioned face-to-face networking and horse trading, I absolutely love this concept. How would everyone feel about giving this idea a whirl at this year's National in Cleveland? Game Used Universe could sponsor a collector's reception and expo in a small conference room/multipurpose room at a hotel in the Cleveland area (near the convention center). The event could be held after the show closes, and could be open to all GUU members. We could have space for collectors to exhibits their favorite treasures, network, trade, and enjoy some drinks and appetizers. Personally speaking, I would be much more likely to attend the National every year if I had something like this to look forward to. This could be a "test" for future events in other parts of the country at other times of the year. Anyone interested who plans on being in Cleveland for the National this year?

Let's do this.

Rob Steinmetz

That's an awesome idea! I'm not sure though if my mom would lend her 17-year-old son her car to drive all the way up to Cleveland,lol, But if this is possible though then I'd definitely try to make it

Nathan
04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I've been reading most of this topic and am interested in what's been said.

One problem with the National is that it's a large and impersonal gathering that has (I'll come out and say it) exorbitant prices. Even if there were a table or booth set up, it would be coming and going all day with few chances to actually have any meaningful discussion.

I have attended two Detroit Expos, which focus primarily on hockey, and enjoyed both. What I have in mind in Columbus is pretty similar to my experiences there. It'd be a one- or two-day event at a central location in which collectors and dealers would be able to set up at a fairly cheap rate. There would also be various people of influence given the chance to speak throughout the day. The reason for this is because I believe that the sports outside of hockey, specifically MLB and the NFL, are plagued with numerous problems in the hobby that the NHL and hockey in general have moved past due to Barry Meisel and MeiGray ratcheting up the baseline as high as they have. Certainly constructive ideas and discussions need to emerge from something like this rather than simply a grand ol' time for people to talk and show off.

I believe this forum was a terrific step toward cleaning up a lot of the junk that we've seen, especially since the amount of junk has increased exponentially with the internet and less accountability. But it is inherently limited. I believe that a unified voice emerging from a specific centralized meeting of the minds could do wonders for further cleaning up the hobby and forcing teams and leagues to clean up the way business is currently done.

fridgefan
04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
A game used convention has been done. From 1993-98 Gary Hong and Phil Wood developed and promoted the annual Nationals Sports Equipment & Vintage Memorabilia Show in the Washington, D.C./Baltimore area. Each show was typically Friday night and Saturday and Sunday and featured 40 tables of dealers and collectors. No cards or beanie babies were allowed! The shows were very popular; however, its a lot of work, but it can be sucessfully done! The two also published a bimonthly newsletter, Diamond Duds, the only newsletter specifically for collectors of major league baseball uniforms and equipment, from 1991-1998.

camarokids
04-25-2007, 12:47 PM
That's an awesome idea! I'm not sure though if my mom would lend her 17-year-old son her car to drive all the way up to Cleveland,lol, But if this is possible though then I'd definitely try to make it

Kyle,
I am 6-7 hours away from Atlanta and I believe would have to take I-75 to get to Cleveland. I would volunteer to pick you up and take you along w/my son and I . Just bring along some cheerleaders and your in .......Just kidding .... I don't want to become the next John Bobbitt....

Seriously though , I would be willing to carpool , I have extra room for 2 people. Leaving from St. Pete , FL . Depending on how much equipment we bring , we may need a trailer......If I had the room I would bring my entire collection.......

Buying Devil Rays bats,
David C.
dzscope@earthlink.net

gatorcollector
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
On behalf of Camarokids and myself, I would like to nominate the Happiest Place On Earth - Orlando, FL - as a potential meeting site. Many of us have pointed out in the past that our wives/significant others have no interest in our hobby. Being in Orlando would give the families plenty to do while we do our thing. I have only forum members' best interests at heart. This has nothing to do with the fact that I live 40 miles north of Orlando. Really. ;)

camarokids
04-25-2007, 01:34 PM
On behalf of Camarokids and myself, I would like to nominate the Happiest Place On Earth - Orlando, FL - as a potential meeting site. Many of us have pointed out in the past that our wives/significant others have no interest in our hobby. Being in Orlando would give the families plenty to do while we do our thing. I have only forum members' best interests at heart. This has nothing to do with the fact that I live 40 miles north of Orlando. Really. ;)

You have a really good point there. Across from the Orlando Convention Ctr are tons of shopping malls and stores. Retail Outlets and tourist attractions to go to as well . That would definately make the better half's in our lives happier.

But I am willing to travel as well.

Nnunnari
04-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Is there anybody on here from Southern California or the west coast like myself? I'm pretty sure I won't be making a trip back east any time soon, just wanted to get a feel for the amount of collectors located out west.

both-teams-played-hard
04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Is there anybody on here from Southern California or the west coast like myself? I'm pretty sure I won't be making a trip back east any time soon, just wanted to get a feel for the amount of collectors located out west.

SoCal here.

camarokids
04-25-2007, 04:24 PM

you gotta point there Nnunnari !! we cannot forget about the west coasters... they already have to put up w/the EST (3 hours time diff) dictating there TV schedules and other things as well in life ......

cjw
04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Vancouver here

camarokids
04-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Vancouver here
wow Vancouver, we got Toronto too !!!! Yeah We baaaaad ,We Nationwide ! (a little ZZ Top for you, great song)

dodgersfan
04-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Los Angeles,CA in the house!

MSpecht
02-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Here is the info posted for the 2008 National:

"The 29th edition of the National Sports Collectors Convention will take place at the Donald E Stephens Convention Center in Chicago (Rosemont) IL July 30-August 3, 2008. See you there??"

Last year in Cleveland, Chris, Rob, Jim and I had the opportunity to meet a fair number of GUU members as they stopped by the booth to introduce themselves and say "Hi." As you know, it's always great to put a name with a face and share some stories and laughs.

With a bit of time to plan things out, a more specific GUU interaction for all members who visit the National should not be to difficult to accomplish..

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Rob L
02-03-2008, 01:42 PM
South OC, here. How about in Anaslime?

rose14
02-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I think the most logical place is at the National in Chicago. I attend every year and it's the best place to get everyone together.

My other vote goes to my home Louisville, Kentucky. Plenty of hotels, meeting space and everyone could tour the Hillerich & Bradsby Museum.

33bird
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Nevada in the house. How about Las Vegas?

suave1477
02-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Mspect I agree that is a great place to meet up but we should get something together just for the members here a place where maybe we can display our own items and in a lack of a better way to say shoot the sh$%t lol lol

A place where we can take a day out relax talk, grab lunch just for us.

They did something similar a game used group a couple of years ago I don't know if they still do it. They would all meet up once a month on a Weds at a bar in brooklyn and they had a back room where everyone would put out tables display some nice items and drink a few beers and eat.

10thMan
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I`m in San Diego...s.d. gets my vote...BTW, I won`t be going to L.A. anytime soon, after 4 years of it.
Sean

frikativ54
02-06-2008, 12:08 AM
West Coast, baby! :D I'm officially more than broke, but I can still afford a bus ticket if it's held in a Western state.

70to66
02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
How about St. Louis, its in the middle! Louisville would be my second vote.