PDA

View Full Version : dose a "GAME USED" inscription add value? dated or not?

amex46
04-09-2007, 09:36 AM
what are everyones thoughts on a game worn jersey that one would get right from the player in which you knoe for a fact is 100% game worn getting them to then sign there name on the front or back number with "game used" and the date or team they played against or even if they scored a td or hit a home run they added that in the inscription. would it add value to the jersey or should a game worn jersey be left AS IS backed up with a rock solid LOA and a real PHOTOM MATCH. i would be very interested in what everyones thoughts were. thanks!

suave1477
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Well I think it does add some value because it adds to the validity of the item, but as we all know some players will write anything and some won't touch it unless they know for sure it was theres.Me personally I will have the player autograph and inscribe "Game Used" or "Game Used + the year it was used in or the date it was used on"Only if and when I speak with the player and he recognizes the item. Not for him to say "yeah I used it" but I would question him on the item also.Such questions as, was this your particular model you used?Do you remember from what period you used this model?Does it have the characteristics to your normal usage?Questions like that.I try to get a little bit more validity form the player before I have him sign it.Sometimes you will be surprised when you do that then the player will confess no I really didn't use that bat that much (Thats there nice way of saying "no thats not mine")So will come out right and say I never used that bat.Here is a prime example that made me feel comfortable. I met Matt Nokes and brought with me his Game Used bat as I was raising it up about to show him. He saw it and grab it from me and said "Oh my god I can't believe you have one of my war clubs" ( he was saying it in a happy surprised tone)He looked at it very throughly, swung the bat a few times and even showed Jim Abbot the bat "Hey Jim look at this, its one of my old war clubs" then turned around and said I remember this bat I used it in my season of 1994.So he autographed my bat then added "Game Used 1994"So to me I think adding the inscription more solitifies the actual usage of the bat and possibly can help lead to a photo match.

TNTtoys
04-09-2007, 12:02 PM
The Nokes story is a great success story! but I would imagine that's not the norm.

Some players out there have a policy not to write 'game worn' on anything. You need to steer clear of these players' items in the event one should pop up with the inscription.

Others may have signed the jersey/bat/etc. at one time, and sometime between then and now the words "game worn / game used" magically appeared (i.e. the Steven Jackson jersey that was posted here a little while back).

All goes back to due diligence... It is a nice inscription to have on your item, but you have to do your homework first.

kylehess10
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
what are everyones thoughts on a game worn jersey that one would get right from the player in which you knoe for a fact is 100% game worn getting them to then sign there name on the front or back number with "game used" and the date or team they played against or even if they scored a td or hit a home run they added that in the inscription.

If it's from a company like ASI,ESM,etc., then I feel very confortable buying equipment like that. As Dave Bushing told me at the Braves Memorabilia show in March, it's the best way to know that what we're getting is 100% authentic since it's coming direct from the player. Plus, I had always wondered how the player's know which equipment was worn for which game, so I asked Matt Monteleone (formerly of ESM) awhile back, and he replied back saying that they ask the player's to sign the equipment directly after the game with what homerun it was worn for (btw-My question was concerning homerun equipment), and then it was given to them whenever they were to meet up next.

would it add value to the jersey or should a game worn jersey be left AS IS backed up with a rock solid LOA and a real PHOTOM MATCH. i would be very interested in what everyones thoughts were. thanks!

Well no matter what, ANYTHING with a real photomatch should add value to an item. When I brought my Eli Marrero 2006 Rockies jersey to the Braves Memorabilia show last month to be appraised, I showed Dave Bushing a photomatched picture and he said that just because of that one picture I had, it would've turned the jersey grade from an A5 directly to an A10. He valued the jersey at $300-$350, when I had originally thought that it was worth around maybe $150

camarokids
04-09-2007, 03:13 PM
I am not going to name any names of dealers/sellers on ebay . But, a few times I've seen sellers w/ multiple items from different players signed & inscribed game used and the "game used" writing will look similar on all the bats.....

I like the Canseco gamers out there , the way he signs the gamers for it's in cursive not block letters. The writing matches the signature (Canseco has a nice sig you can actually read it)......

Also if a player has a contract w/ a reputable company and sells their gamers thru the company....those are good too....

JasonM33
04-10-2007, 02:36 AM
It adds some value to me.

-Jason M