PDA

View Full Version : The Big Difference In Auction Houses

RKGIBSON
04-07-2007, 07:29 PM
There seems to be a big difference in the prices realized from one auction house to the other.

I beleive it is the way the items are presented that is the biggest difference it getting the most money.

I will use AMI as a example. Their prices for a lot of game used is far above what we see as normal market value. They have enough photos that I can do my own research or make up my own mind on that piece. They usually have a front and back shot of jerseys. They show tagging and sometimes repairs and unique features. If there is team paperwork it is usually shown. Sometimes they show the photo match. I do not have to rely on some authenicators word.

Many of the auction houses only show the front or back of a jersey. some of the photos are so small that you cannot tell anything about the detail of the item. Most of the catalogs are a waste of paper.

As a seller, I will not commit items to a house that does not present my items the best possible way. I like the description to focus on that items history and have a acurate description, not the frill about the players overall career, stats, and so on, just that item.

As a buyer, I will not bid on items that I am not convinced are real with the description and photos presented. I don't want any surprises when I get the item in my hands.

Any thoughts?

Roger

TNTtoys
04-07-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree that the prices in AMI auctions are off the charts as compared to other auction houses. I believe this is largely due to their "15 minute rule" which I personally find a bit ridiculous. I didn't quite understand it until their last auction --

If you are familiar with bidding on MLB auctions, they have a "5 minute rule." This works as follows...
If you bid on an item within the its last 5 minutes, the clock will reset to 5 minutes, and the auction will be auto extended until either that 5 minutes is up or a new bid is placed (and the clock is then reset). Hence, the bidding ends upon the first 5 minutes that a bid is not placed on that individual item.

AMI has a "15 minute rule." Their 15 minute rule does not apply to the individual item, but the ENTIRE AUCTION -- hence bidding stops the first 15 minute period that a single bid is not placed in their over 1,000 lots! The auctions seem to go very late into the night though the cut-off is 8PM. A couple of hours can go by after the item was supposedly finished and a new bid can be placed on top... the end result of this is a very inflated final price on many of the lots.

lund6771
04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I agree that Ami gets some good prices on stuff but don't hold your breath on getting paid...I consigned some stuff and was told I'd get paid in 30 days and it took 6 months...I heard every excuse in the book...in the REAL world, the check does not get lost in the mail...that's some great customer service!!!!

Also..I'm really trying hard to stay away from any sites that use Lampson...

I wish this site could do some killer advertising to attract a ton of collectors...then Lampson and his "clients" would be exposed and that cherade would be over with...it would be great if this site would be the PREMIER auction house in a few years!!!