PDA

View Full Version : Jim Bunning Phillies Jacket?

hblakewolf
04-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Good morning Forum Readers-

I was asked for my opinion about a current Phillies jacket in the American Memorabila auction.

The item in question is lot #119, "Jim Bunning's worn Phillies jacket":
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=36044 (http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=36044)

According to the description, it is Bunning's jacket from his days with the Phillies, thus, it dates to 1964-1967. I have seen and also sold well over 2 dozen of this 1950'/1960's style Phillies game worn jacket, and this is the first time I have seen this version with SNAPS on front as opposed to the standard zipper. Likewise, the jackets I have seen have a small embroidered tag down near the front left inside hem that has the player's uniform number embroidered. This particular jacket has Bunning's 14 penned in red ink on some type of tag.

I'd enjoy learning how this jacket is attributed to Bunning based on the following:
Snap front instead of zipper
14 penned instead of embroidered
Lack of any manufacturing tag in the collar (ALL jackets of this style were made by Wilson and should have a Wilson tag n the collar).

Better yet, how can this jacket even be attributed to being a major League Phillies jacket as opposed to a minor league Phillies or retail jacket that simply has Bunning's autotgraph on the front? Is it possible it was worn by Bunning at a later date from his playing days for some type of Phillies reunion or get together?

Any help is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

hblakewolf
04-06-2007, 08:21 AM
The jacket is also different from those Phillies jackets of this era that I have seen in the fact that the sleeves appear to be connected directly to the body of the jacket. The usual means for attaching the sleeves incorporates a thick red piece of "elastic" type material between the cream sleeve and the body. From the photo on the AMI site, it appears to be void of this middle piece of material.

We now have two differences with this jacket, compared to those I've seen:
1. snaps instead of a zipper
2. Lack of material connecting the sleeves to the body

Rudy-any photos of this type of jacket?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net