PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Robinson's number to be worn again..

metsbats
04-05-2007, 10:09 PM
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070405&content_id=1881198&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym

This is a really nice tribute.

Check the bit on the Dodgers who will all wear no. 42! Feel sorry for the PA announcer that day.

David

gameused
04-13-2007, 03:21 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2007/04/12/J2Fj8RLg.jpg (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/jrd/index_07.jsp)

Here is a complete list of the teams and uniformed personnel who are participating:

Angels: Gary Matthews Jr.
Astros: All players
Athletics: Milton Bradley
Blue Jays: Vernon Wells, Frank Thomas, Royce Clayton and hitting coach Mickey Brantley
Braves: Andruw Jones
Brewers: All players
Cardinals: All players
Cubs: Derrek Lee, Cliff Floyd, Jacque Jones and Daryle Ward
Devil Rays: Carl Crawford
Diamondbacks: Orlando Hudson, Tony Clark, Chris Young, Scott Hairston and first base coach Lee Tinsley
Dodgers: All players
Giants: Barry Bonds
Indians: Josh Barfield, Grady Sizemore and C.C. Sabathia
Mariners: Arthur Rhodes
Marlins: Dontrelle Willis
Mets: Manager Willie Randolph
Nationals: Dmitri Young
Orioles: Corey Patterson
Padres: Mike Cameron
Phillies: All players
Pirates: All players
Rangers: Manager Ron Washington
Red Sox: Coco Crisp
Reds: Ken Griffey Jr.
Rockies: LaTroy Hawkins
Royals: Reggie Sanders, Emil Brown
Tigers: Gary Sheffield, Curtis Granderson, Marcus Thames, Craig Monroe and hitting coach Lloyd McClendon
Twins: Torii Hunter, Rondell White and first-base coach Jerry White
White Sox: Jermaine Dye, first-base coach Harold Baines and third-base coach Razor Shines
Yankees: Mariano Rivera (uniform No. 42 grandfathered in 1997), Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter and manager Joe Torre

Eric
04-13-2007, 09:58 AM
the 42 jerseys will be auctioned off for charity

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070413&content_id=1895936&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Jackie Robinson Day tribute "42" jerseys to be auctioned for charity
04/13/2007 10:11 AM ET
MLB.com

Major League Baseball will auction Number 42 jerseys worn on Jackie Robinson Day, April 15th, to benefit the Jackie Robinson Foundation, Major League Baseball announced today. Commissioner Selig extended an invitation to all Clubs on April 4th to allow any of its members to wear the special jerseys as a tribute to Jackie and the history he made on that day 60 years ago.

Each jersey will be authenticated on-site, and will be auctioned on MLB.com with net proceeds to benefit the Jackie Robinson Foundation.
The Jackie Robinson Foundation assists increasing numbers of minority youths through the granting of four-year scholarships for higher education.
On April 15, 1997, the 50th anniversary of Robinson's entry into Major League Baseball, Commissioner Selig announced that Robinson's Number 42 would be retired throughout baseball and would never again be issued to on-field personnel. He temporarily suspended the retirement for the 60th anniversary. Each of the 15 games throughout Major League Baseball on April 15 will feature festivities to honor Jackie Robinson. The national celebration of Jackie Robinson Day will take place at Dodger Stadium on April 15 with a VIP-filled reception and on-field ceremony prior to the game between the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers. The ceremony and game will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN HD, ESPN Radio and ESPN Deportes at 8 p.m. (ET) and will also be carried on XM Satellite Radio. Among those participating in the festivities will be Rachel Robinson, Jackie's wife and founder of The Jackie Robinson Foundation; their daughter, author Sharon Robinson, and son, David Robinson; several of Jackie's former teammates; baseball executives and civic and industry leaders; Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholars; and winners of the Breaking Barriers Essay Contest.

suave1477
04-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Interesting they are going to auction them off.

These are gonna sell for phenominal amounts of money.

Remember the Mothers day bats!!!!

TNTtoys
04-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I heard yesterday that 5 full teams are now wearing #42. There will have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 200+ of these hitting MLB auctions if that's the case.
Supply and demand is going to have to dictate a smaller sale price. Yes, they are going to cash in from this promotion, but the jerseys are not going to be as limited as once thought.
On a side note, I am going to be at Shea for this promotion on Sunday - will any other GUF Mets fans out there be at the game???

staindsox
04-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the post Eric because the cynic in my knew that these jerseys would end up in auctions. It's nice to see that they will put the profits towards a worthy cause. Now let's see where Bonds' jersey ends up. I hope every single 42 jersey makes it to the mlb site.

Chris

island_style
04-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Does anyone know if there will be more than one set issued per player? I can't imagine the players not wanting to keep one for themselves for this event. Would they get to keep the possible issued extra set, or have to bid like everyone else? (I thought I read somewhere that the '86 Mets had two sets issued for their Shea reunion last season: player-worn to be sold, extra set for the player)

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

jessicawinters
04-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I believe players will wear only the number 42, without their names. So it should be easy for equip managers to distribute them. And it may be easier for players to have extras.

It would be hard for MLB to keep track of them afterwards though.

pietraynor
04-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Here's a twist..today's "Jackie Robinson Day" game between the Pirates & Giants was postponed due to bad weather..All Pirates & Barry Bonds "42" jerseys now become team issued & headed to the auction block as such? Or will the teams try to wear them for another game honoring Robinson at a later date, then auction them off..The Bonds jersey would have been one of the highest selling shirts. We'll wait & see...Jay

allstarsplus
04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Almost all the East Coast games were canceled today. Orioles, Mets, Phillies and Red Sox and as mentioned the Giants vs. Pirates.

I agree that (IF) the Bonds jersey would have been used and auctioned especially with a HR would have hit HUGE $$$$$.

Andrew

kylehess10
04-15-2007, 12:41 PM
My cable has been out since last night because of a storm and I can't see ANY players wearing the 42 :mad:

pietraynor
04-15-2007, 01:00 PM
It appears the Marlins have a "Jackie Robinson Day" sticker on the side of their batting helmets..can anyone confirmed this, haven't heard of it..maybe I'm seeing things..Are other teams doing this & if so, these are likely headed to the auction block as well. Jay

Eric
04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Andruw Jones is wearing 42 with no name on back.

metsbats
04-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Here's a twist..today's "Jackie Robinson Day" game between the Pirates & Giants was postponed due to bad weather..All Pirates & Barry Bonds "42" jerseys now become team issued & headed to the auction block as such? Or will the teams try to wear them for another game honoring Robinson at a later date, then auction them off..The Bonds jersey would have been one of the highest selling shirts. We'll wait & see...Jay

The Mets are going to reschedule the game and honor Jackie Robinson at that game. Only Willie Randolf will be wearing no. 42 which is kind of disappointing since the Mets are the only NL team in NY right now.

Would have been nice if several actual players on the team did it too.

David

bubbrubb25
04-15-2007, 01:04 PM
The braves have the sticker on their batting helmets to.

pietraynor
04-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Looks like Reds & Cubs wearing the helmet sticker as well. Jay

Eric
04-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Sweet moment-

Andruw Jones just hit a home run wearing #42

Eric
04-15-2007, 01:42 PM
They just showed Albert Pujols hit a home run wearing #42

stlbats
04-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I think not having players names on the back makes this sort of bad. The Cardinals all have 42 on and no names. I wouldnt pay big $$ for these jerseys when you could easily have a Braden Looper instead of a Pujols. Unless you could photomatch and of course it would have to be 2 players that wore the same size.

Jason

Birdbats
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Let's hope MLB has their authenticators on site to document each jersey. If they do their jobs, the jerseys should be distinguished accurately with unique hologram numbers.

pietraynor
04-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I haven't heard, but it's likely each jersey has the roster number of the player who wore it marked somewhere on the jeresey, could be as simple as marker on the maker's logo, or inside the tail, etc. Hopefully each team's equipment personnel took the time to clearly mark each jersey in some fashion, but that's probably asking to much. Will be interesting to see the winning bids..hope the helmets are auctioned as well. Jay.

staindsox
04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Just got back from the Twins game...Every April 15th is "Jackie Robinson Day" from now on. I have mixed feelings.

Eric
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Here is a nice 42 photo gallery

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photogallery/year_2007/month_04/day_15/cf1900673.html

JimCaravello
04-16-2007, 08:30 AM
A few tidbits about all this............You know what's a shame about all this, is that Larry Doby gets no press - and he was only 2 1/2 months behind Jackie if I am not mistaken - and the first in the Americal League. I think I heard or read somewhere that the Indians are going to do something this year in honor of him - but he still gets no press in comparison to Jackie...........it was kind of weird seeing Jeter at the plate yesterday wearing #42 for the Yankees............Still can't believe Mo blew the save to Scutaro!! I am not a confident Yankees fan right now with three starters on the DL.......

reed1216
04-16-2007, 08:48 AM
I saw the Yankee game too and couldn't figure out who that guy wearing #42, who looked just like Jeter, was at the plate in the first inning. I was happy to see him, as well as Cano and Torre honor Jackie. ESPN has a nice little article about Cano and how he was actually named after Jackie Robinson.

As fot the staff, the injuries are concerning, but it's to be expected this early on, especially with the cold weather in April. Pettitte has been very encouraging. He's been great in each of his last two starts.

staindsox
04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, JIM. That's exactly what I was thinking. I do not want to take a thing away from Jackie and, not wanting to be a heretic, would never say a negative word against him, but there were others that deserve the spotlight. I think Doby is a prime example. Likewise, I think the Dodgers became a powerhouse because of Campanella (another black man), not Jackie. Jackie was the first and will always remain important, but I think he gets the entire spotlight when others deserve to share in the glory. Doby put up with the same racist crap Jackie did, but I wonder if the Barry Bonds and Torii Hunters and Ken Griffeys and...know who Doby is. They may, but they may not. It would be more fitting to have a diversity day in baseball, not a Jackie Robinson day. Jackie was the first, but many suffered similar experiences.

sylbry
04-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I have been a little turned off by the whole Jackie Robinson weekend for the same reasons mentioned above. What about Larry Doby and all of the other black players who joined MLB shortly after. I don't mean to take anything away from Jackie but come on. MLB is making it sound like Jackie single handidly eliminated racism in baseball. Jackie may have had it the worst but by no means did Larry Doby and the others who followed have it easy.

It is kind of sad really. Through all of this a silent statement is being instilled, "Be first because no one cares about second."

JimCaravello
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Not to keep on harping on this point - but how about some kudos for Branch Rickey?? He bucked the system - you hear about him some in the whole Jackie thing - but he's a secondary figure in all this......he was the one who made it happen..........now, Jackie took a lot of crap as a ballplayer and deserves all the recognition he has gotten over the years - but others should be deserving of some credit too........For me - Doby and Rickey should stand out too.........

cjclong
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I agree that Larry Doby is overlooked and should be recognized. But let's face it, a person who is the second to do something is not going to be remembered the way the first person is. We have a Columbus day but I don't know who was the second person was to sail here after Columbus "discovered" America and I know Lindberg was the first to fly the Atlantic solo but does anyone know who the second person was or who was the second person to climb Mount Everset? That's just life. And if Robinson hadn't been first would Doby have been up as quickly if Robinson hadn't showed it could be done. Robinson was first and thus we recognize him in a way we don't the others. That having been said, it would be nice to see Doby (and some of the others) recognized in some way.