PDA

View Full Version : Fraud? Surreal? What does this listing mean?

topekabob
04-02-2007, 12:02 AM
This is a very strange item. He seems to be insinuating that this is a game worn jersey, yet it's of course a replica. Is he hoping to sell it to some rube who thinks it's real? I emailed him and asked him to clarify the listing. Maybe some other forum members could do the same. Lets keep an eye on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/San-Francisco-Giants-Worn-Jersey-26-Montefusco-NR_W0QQitemZ250100754993QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Swoboda4
04-02-2007, 06:18 AM
You're right ,be carefull but the description is accurate. I was at a show a long time ago and I watched a curious thing. Gaylord Perry standing at a consession table putting on a jersey and taking it off,signing the jersey and then doing the same act with another Perry jersey. It has been worn by Perry and signed but not game used(UNLESS YOU COUNT PLAYING GAMES WITH CUSTOMERS AS GAME USED!).Yes be alert when reading descriptions they're not lying but close to deceiving.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/TS001774.jpg?size=67&uid={0a65713f-50b8-47ce-9ead-18608c790355}

Eric
04-02-2007, 06:58 AM
If you look at the other items offered by the seller, there are a total of 4 montefusco lots. It says they had belonged to montefusco and were purchased at public auction.

I wonder if it was one of those situations where his stuff was in a stoarge locker that went unpaid so the contents were sold at auction. I have seen that before.

The seller is from New Jersey and Montefusco was a pitching coach for a minor league team in New Jersey. For what it's worth, it's plausible that the stuff was actually his, even if this one wasn't worn.
Eric

hblakewolf
04-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Eric-
He was the pitchjomg coach for our local minor league team, the Somerset Patriots. He quit before the 2006 season, and had a lot of personal issues. He had an ugly divorce, and was so down on his luck, he was even sleeping in his car at one point, as he had no home.

I'd be willing to bet these were part of some "down on his luck" situation i.e, divorce, etc.

As a side note, I met him several times, and he was always willing to sign autographs and chat with the fans. At the same time, the Manager of the Patriots was equally as fan friendly-that being Sparky Lyle!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PORTLAND BEAVERS, PORTLAND MAVERICKS AND PHILLIES JERSEYS

topekabob
04-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Swaboda is right. The seller emailed me back (to his credit) and said the (now) famous line: In the description it says "worn," not "game worn."
So Montefusco wore this jersey around the house I guess. I think sellers put the word "worn" in their descriptions in the hopes that someone will think its game worn. I bet some sellers put the jersey on themselves so they can put "worn" in the description. Oh well.
Howard - you had The Count AND Sparky Lyle nearby! Cool.
The best I have here is my son plays in the Ken Berry Little League and I see Ken Berry around town every now and then.

suave1477
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
The best we had for our local Minor League teams was:

Mookie Wilson Cyclones Manager
Tim Teufel Cyclones Manager
Andy Stankiweicz SI Yankees Manager
Howard Johsnon Cyclones Manager
Darryl Strawberry Cyclones roving hitting instructor
Tommy John SI Yankees Manager
Dave Eiland SI Yankees Coach

John Franco Little League Manager for my friends sons team.