PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds? - photomatched, pinstripe jersey

kingjammy24
01-04-2006, 11:03 PM
This may sound like an odd question but perhaps someone has some experience or knowledge about photomatching to pinstripes.

I have recently come across a 1992 pinstriped jersey. It's a set 2 and, from the dealer's photos, appears to show very little to no use. The 100% poly tag is perfectly flat and crisp. I initially thought that the player just chose to use the set 1 for most, if not the entire, season.
I have also found a getty photo of the player in 1992.
The pinstripes line up with the number on the front in exactly the same places in both the getty photo and the dealer photo. That is, it appears to be an actual photomatch.

My question: What are the odds that 2 jerseys (his set 1 and 2 in 1992) would have the front number sewn on in exactly the same place?
(By 'exactly', I mean 3 pinstripes hit the front number in identical spots).

I'm trying to figure out if there is a good chance that the Getty photo is showing him in his set 1. If the odds are very slim, then it means the Getty photo is showing him in this set 2 jersey. If the odds are very likely, then the getty photo probably is showing him in his set 1 and the set 2 I've come across didn't get used.

thanks,

Rudy.

kingjammy24
01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Apparently, the odds are extremely high that 2 pinstriped jerseys can have the front number sewn on in exactly the same place. I received confirmation from the dealer that the jersey shows almost no use. It's a 1992 Pedro Munoz Twins jersey. In 1992, Pedro was an outfielder who played in 127 games and had 418 at-bats. It would've been impossible to play 127 games in the outfield and have a jersey show almost no use. The jersey in the pic below must be his set 1. I can't believe they sewed the front number on in exactly the same place in both his set 1 and set 2.
So much for the ease of photomatching with pinstripes!

http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/4324/munoz7pv.jpg

Rudy.

astros*bats
01-06-2006, 12:57 AM
That's wierd that the pinstripes on both jerseys match up exactly.

The Astros sewn on their own numbers and letters so it is pretty rare to have the exact same pinstripes match up.

Maybe Russell matched up all the single digit numbers to a certain pinstripe when making the Twins jerseys that year.

Who knows!

-AJ