PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Lastings Milledge throwback pants in MLB Auctions....

kylehess10
03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Currently in MLB Auctions, there is a pair of Lastings Milledge game worn 1986 throwback pants from 2006. Now unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure that all of the throwback uniforms worn were unwashed. Well, in a getty photo of Milledge during the game, there is a large dirt stain on the bottom part of the left pant leg, which is not seen on the pants in the auction. Opinions?

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=81463546&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=81810256

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/img4383989.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/lastings.jpg

Kid4hof03
03-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Kyle,
That photo is from the Saturday night game. They also wore these uniforms on Sunday so they would have certainly been washed between games.

Abe

kylehess10
03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Kyle,
That photo is from the Saturday night game. They also wore these uniforms on Sunday so they would have certainly been washed between games.

Abe

whoops! I totally forgot that they wore them for 2 games. Thanks

Kyle

TNTtoys
03-29-2007, 10:34 PM
All,

I own a few of the throwback items from the 2006 season. Its even simpler than the washing -- 2 sets were made for each player (I suppose with intent for sales to the public). I have seen 2 pairs of pants available for each of these guys.

The following is possible --

Milledge wore the 1st pair in game 1 and the 2nd pair in game 2. This would leave the first pair as still having the dirt stain, whereas the 2nd pair (the MLB auctions pair) is clean. Both can then be sold as "game used"

Milledge wore the 1st pair in game 1, it was washed, and then worn for game 2. This would leave the first pair as the MLB auctions pair, but would also mean that the 2nd pair would be "issued" I don't think this case would be as likely from a revenue point of view... plus, fans want to see the "wear"... do you recall the Michael Tucker jersey with the huge dirt stain?

Kid4hof03
03-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Maybe my memory if faulty, and if so please excuse me, but I seem to recall that when the throwbacks were marketed that it was said that there were 2 of each uniform made, one was sold as issued and the other as worn? I bought Julio Franco's full "game used" uniform from the weekend and haven't seen anything else floating around. I gotta tell you, I'd hate to see another one. I know I overpaid when I bought it but the thought of 2 sets of used uniforms would absolutely kill the value.

Abe

metsbats
03-30-2007, 06:45 AM
I just sent Bob Malandro this link and asked him to shed some light on this topic. It would be interesting to know if the players did use 2 sets as game worn or just one.

-David

TNTtoys
03-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Maybe my memory if faulty, and if so please excuse me, but I seem to recall that when the throwbacks were marketed that it was said that there were 2 of each uniform made, one was sold as issued and the other as worn? I bought Julio Franco's full "game used" uniform from the weekend and haven't seen anything else floating around. I gotta tell you, I'd hate to see another one. I know I overpaid when I bought it but the thought of 2 sets of used uniforms would absolutely kill the value.

Abe

Abe,

I believe you are referring to the jerseys worn by the returning 86 players. There were 2 of each made: 1 worn by the player during the ceremony (which Steiner sold) and 1 given to the player to take home.

For the player uniforms, I believe 2 were made. Some of these never saw their way into games for whatever reason (player was not rostered, player played during 1 of the 2 games, etc.). For player jerseys, I think you will have a mix out there of:
1 issued and 1 used
2 used
2 issued
I don't think that this information would kill the value of these jerseys -- there were always 2 of them. They were never OOAK collectibles.

Nick

metsbats
03-30-2007, 05:51 PM
David,

Good question; the Mets only wore one set for the weekend (I believe the players might have received an issued jersey & cap to keep though—not sure about the pants, but we only received the game used set). So, with respect to the Milledge pants, the likeliest scenario is that they were washed after Saturday and used again on Sunday (I am taking this all at face value, as I have not checked to see which games he played in or whether that picture is from the Saturday game).

Generally speaking, once the Mets collect the unis, they forward to us—unwashed.

Hope that helps.

Bob

This is the response from Bob Malandro of Steiner.

kylehess10
03-30-2007, 07:14 PM
David,

Good question; the Mets only wore one set for the weekend (I believe the players might have received an issued jersey & cap to keep though—not sure about the pants, but we only received the game used set). So, with respect to the Milledge pants, the likeliest scenario is that they were washed after Saturday and used again on Sunday (I am taking this all at face value, as I have not checked to see which games he played in or whether that picture is from the Saturday game).

Generally speaking, once the Mets collect the unis, they forward to us—unwashed.

Hope that helps.

Bob

This is the response from Bob Malandro of Steiner.

I really like how Bob at Steiner reponds to his messages. From what I have seen, he always likes to help the collector out. I know I've been helped out when I had those Michael Tucker pants which I thought were from the playoffs, but were actually from 8/26/06 after his much appreciated help. The pants I had were unwashed with dirt stains everywhere, and Bob had even told what exactly happened and how he got the dirt on the pants. He's a great guy

Kyle

dcrules01
03-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I was at the Aug 20th game.Here is a few pics of Milledge at the plate no dirt.Milledge went 1-4

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/11.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/9.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/12.jpg

metsbats
03-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Scott

I was hoping you'd post photos from the Sunday game of Milledge. I remember your previous posts and all those awesome photos!

Thanks
David

dcrules01
03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
That is Sundays game...:D

Kid4hof03
03-31-2007, 10:43 AM
David,
Thanks for forwarding Bob's response, it is very helpful!

Abe

metsbats
03-31-2007, 10:57 AM
David,
Thanks for forwarding Bob's response, it is very helpful!

Abe

Bob is great and will always get the information when he can to anyone who has a question.

It's like having an uncle in the clubhouse:)

David