PDA

View Full Version : NFL AUCTIONS // recent experience

SDSports
03-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Want to share a recent experience with NFL Auctions regarding an auction I won. Several months ago a 2005 Jamal Williams throwback helmet was listed. The photos were a bit sketchy, and, as usual, there was limited detail in the text. The photos did not show the chinstrap at all, and it apeared the rear cervical pad/bumper had been removed. I reviewed all Getty Images photos of Williams wearing the TBC gear during the 2005 season, to confirm his '05 TBC helmet was equipped with the cervical pad --- which it was. Williams' 2004 TBC helmet, which I purchased from NFL Auctions (through eBay) during the 2004 season has the cervical pad.

I sent several emails to NFL Auctions regarding the condition of the helmet, as I was concerned it may have been stripped by the equipment staff prior to turning it over for auction. After waiting several days, I received two very curt replies---neither one asnwering my question. After considerable debate with myself, I elected to place a bid on the helmet, as I am a big Jamal Williams fan --- and eventually won the auction. I paid for the auction immediately afterward, and waited my treasure

Two weeks had passed when I received an email from Scott @ NFL Auctions informing me the 2005 Jamal Williams helmet I won had "already been sold". With a brief apology, Scott told me a refund was forthcoming. When I replied to Scott's email, no additional explanation was offered. After several email exchanges, Scott let it slip that Williams' 2006 TBC helmet would soon come up for auction. I immediately informed Scott I wanted the 2006 helmet in place of the 2005 --- since the error was on NFL Auctions' part. Scott agreed to my request, and I received the 2006 helmet within a couple of weeks. The 2006 gamer is fully intact, and I am very happy with it.

I am wondering if any other collectors have had similar experiences with NFL Auctions? Although this deal worked out for me in the end, my cheif complaint with NFL Auctions is their unwillingness to respond to collectors questions (at least mine). Anyone else have similar tale/experience?:confused: