PDA

View Full Version : Manny' s grill on ebay!

metsbats
03-21-2007, 07:42 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Manny-Ramirez-JENN-AIR-Grill_W0QQitemZ120099426399QQcategoryZ204QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2007/03/20/mannys.grill.ap/index.html

Looks nice but how much use and did Manny actually use it :D

David

jon_8_us
03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
It appears that this auction is destined to be screwed up by some jerks out there.Manny is to much of a celebrity to try to sell stuff on ebay so out in the open.He probably has 1000 questions in his inbox by know.To bad.He should have just consigned it to someone.It actually appears that he has his own ebay account....funny!When will it ever stop with Manny???Thats why he's my main man.
jon

camarokids
03-21-2007, 08:45 AM
210 bids currently and at $99,999,999.00 . yes you read that right. I had to double check myself . A million dollars for a $4k grill???????????? CRAZY !!!

camarokids
03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
210 bids currently and at $99,999,999.00 . yes you read that right. I had to double check myself . A million dollars for a $4k grill???????????? CRAZY !!!

I'm sorry it's almost up to 100 million not one million...

any bets on whether or not anyone follow thru and pays for the grill

allstarsplus
03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
This is getting a lot of air time. A buddy of mine told me about it as they did a segment on ESPN's Pardon The Interuption (PTI) last night.

I hope Manny relists with Pre-Approved bidders to see what it will really sell for!

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/93/38/31e3_3.JPG

jon_8_us
03-21-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm sorry it's almost up to 100 million not one million...

any bets on whether or not anyone follow thru and pays for the grill

It's pretty apparent that someone is screwing with Manny.Look at all the bid cancellations.Too bad.Even though he is a sports superstar he should be allowed to sell a grill under his own name without a gang of people screwing it up for him!I would buy the grill if i were able to pick it up at his house and get to see him out of the element i have met him in a few times before...the Fenway park players parking lot.He is all business there and you never get more than a quick autograph if that.
jon

kellsox
03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Manny's HS coach was on the local radio station today saying that Manny has not helped(financially) is old school out at all. The coach stated that all funding for the team is done through donations and fundraising. There is little if any $ in the budget for baseball. Other ML players were said to have wanted to help out but didn't want to make Manny "look bad". I'm a big Sox fan but have never really warmed up to him.

hiramman
03-21-2007, 09:49 AM
I personally think ebay should boot people that make those outlandish bids off of ebay. All they do is screw it up for those that are really interested.

hblakewolf
03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Considering Manny has been selling just about every piece of his game used equipment and tons of extra jerseys with his own year tags, is this grill really a surprise?

Here's a guy making $100MM and he has to resort to getting on Ebay under his own name and trying to get back his $4,000 for a grill? It's seriously beyond belief.

It's a similar situation to one I just had. My daughters are now out of their cribs. I posted a note at their local school, and offered the cribs to anyone in need, free of charge. Sure, I could have taken out an ad in the paper or sold them on Ebay, but why? How about just doing a good deed by giving something to an individual and feeling good about it?

Manny could have called a local BBQ/Grill store in the Boston area and asked them to buy it at a reduced rate, or better yet, offer it to a neighbor or friend. After he sells it, he also has to box and ship it-no easy task.

In this day and age of "out of touch" sports figures, why is this not a real shocker?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

jon_8_us
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Manny's HS coach was on the local radio station today saying that Manny has not helped(financially) is old school out at all. The coach stated that all funding for the team is done through donations and fundraising. There is little if any $ in the budget for baseball. Other ML players were said to have wanted to help out but didn't want to make Manny "look bad". I'm a big Sox fan but have never really warmed up to him.

Thats to bad to hear as a huge Manny fan.Maybe he should start by giving his old school the money from the proceeds of this grill???
jon

jon_8_us
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Considering Manny has been selling just about every piece of his game used equipment and tons of extra jerseys with his own year tags, is this grill really a surprise?

Here's a guy making $100MM and he has to resort to getting on Ebay under his own name and trying to get back his $4,000 for a grill? It's seriously beyond belief.

It's a similar situation to one I just had. My daughters are now out of their cribs. I posted a note at their local school, and offered the cribs to anyone in need, free of charge. Sure, I could have taken out an ad in the paper or sold them on Ebay, but why? How about just doing a good deed by giving something to an individual and feeling good about it?

Manny could have called a local BBQ/Grill store in the Boston area and asked them to buy it at a reduced rate, or better yet, offer it to a neighbor or friend. After he sells it, he also has to box and ship it-no easy task.

In this day and age of "out of touch" sports figures, why is this not a real shocker?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Coming from Manny this should not shock anyone.He is a certified nutbar!As everyone may know Manny is my favorite ballplayer not favorite person.Who else but Manny"i don't care what no one thinks"Ramirez would go on ebay under his own name and sell a used grill??You can't take offense to this.We're talking about a guy who's head is in the clouds but his bust will be in Cooperstown.
jon

jon_8_us
03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I mean have a look at this guy!LOL

mwbosoxfan
03-21-2007, 02:40 PM
It was reported in a segment of the Boston Globe's Extra Bases that Manny himself said that the grill was actually his neighbor's (in Florida) and he was just trying to help him out. Because the grill was represented as Manny's, I don't think that's a good thing to be misrepresenting something your selling. However, there's absolutely no place what so ever for placing ficticious bids on any auction on eBay or any other auction site. Buyer always beware on any auction and do your homework. There's no place for idiots bidding and retracting and placing bids either they don't intend to honor or just for the sake of driving up a price. It wrecks the whole process for all of us.

allstarsplus
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
We had a similar discussion about charity not long ago on the Ripken Fire Helmet auction.

None of us know what Manny gives to charity so I don't think we should label him as another athlete cheapskate.

Yes, athletes are known to be tight with their money because many of them are smart enough to know that the big $$$$$$ won't last forever. Some are cheap because they don't know better. Some are skeptical of charities. Some just think the world owes them.

I don't know what Manny's deal is but if he wants to sell on eBay--go for it! Is it hurting anyone? Maybe he will give it to charity.

tigerhidden
03-21-2007, 04:19 PM
On ESPN'S day game between Boston and Pittsburgh they said it was his own teamates driving up the price as a joke.

jon_8_us
03-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Many of you may already know this story about Manny selling his game used item for cash.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/20/its_been_winter_wonder_land/

The auction has been pulled.It was on TV all day.
jon

both-teams-played-hard
03-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Playing left field and cutting off a throw from center, wearing shades with a built-in MP3 player during the game, taking a bathroom break behind the green monster during a game...its just Manny being Manny. If you buy a grill just 'cause Manny made burgers on it...then you deserve to be dupped. Why doesn't he just scratch his boy a check for 4Gs? From the title of this thread, I thought he was selling his gold teeth.

kylehess10
03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I mean have a look at this guy!LOL

His dreads are starting to scare me

geoff
03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I like the dreads that he's sporting right now.Lets see how long they last before he grows tired of them.

camarokids
03-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Technically Manny lied in the description and said the grill was his, when in fact it wasn't , it was his neighbors !

So my question to all who buy his jerseys and stuff from him. How do you know he is telling the truth about everything else he sells? Mainly "game used" jerseys .

As far as the dreadlocks , maybe he is having a Ricky Williams moment?

Anybody ready for him having a Brittany moment and pull out the buzz-clippers?? LOL!

sylbry
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
So I would imagine that is Manny's neighbor's Ferrari 550/575M in the background then.

camarokids
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
So I would imagine that is Manny's neighbor's Ferrari 550/575M in the background then.

Sybry , it is in the news and online that the grill is IN FACT his neighbors! what does the Ferrari have to do with him LYING about what he was selling. If someone lies about one thing , what else are they lying about is my point !

sylbry
03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Sybry , it is in the news and online that the grill is IN FACT his neighbors! what does the Ferrari have to do with him LYING about what he was selling. If someone lies about one thing , what else are they lying about is my point !

No kidding, settle down. I am well aware of the fact that it isn't Manny's grill. I wasn't even directing my comment towards you. I was just pointing out there is a Ferrari 550/575M in the background of a picture that was "allegedly" taken in Manny Ramirez's garage. Nothing more, nothing less.

metsbats
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Begs the question is Manny actually using all those bats and jerseys he's selling too if he's fibbing about the grill!

David

camarokids
03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
No kidding, settle down. I am well aware of the fact that it isn't Manny's grill. I wasn't even directing my comment towards you. I was just pointing out there is a Ferrari 550/575M in the background of a picture that was "allegedly" taken in Manny Ramirez's garage. Nothing more, nothing less.

I see what you are saying now , thanks for pointing it out!

One thing that was funny , when I first read the title Manny's Grill on ebay , I was thinking of a "tooth grille" not a cooking grille

kingjammy24
03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
"Begs the question is Manny actually using all those bats and jerseys he's selling too if he's fibbing about the grill!"

here's a typical jersey that came from manny:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=27081

complete with homemade year tag (it's cute how he tried to mimic the standard year tag that the standard sox jerseys had. i wonder why he couldn't get majestic to send him jerseys with standard year tags?)
and dirt ON THE TAGGING. lots and lots of dirt everywhere. the wash tags are crisp and straight but even they have dirt on them. idiotic.
but i suppose the good news is that with dozens of dirt-ridden manny jerseys out there, it should be pretty easy to photomatch them, right?

for those interested, here's some more reading on manny ramirez jerseys:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/message/1109992088/

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4611

rudy.

sylbry
03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
I see what you are saying now , thanks for pointing it out!

One thing that was funny , when I first read the title Manny's Grill on ebay , I was thinking of a "tooth grille" not a cooking grille

Me too. First I thought teeth. Then I thought car grill. He has a Bentley grill on his Chrysler 300C.

camarokids
03-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Me too. First I thought teeth. Then I thought car grill. He has a Bentley grill on his Chrysler 300C.

This guy is amazing !

He is starting to remind me of Dennis Rodman ...now if he can win as many championships as Rodman did . Then he can act and look however he wants .... wait a sec , isn't he doing that already.....LOL....

staindsox
03-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I want to comment on the Ramirez jersey thing. I still believe they are legit. The reason being is that Manny splashes on perfume before every game. I have handled 4 of these jerseys...all the same perfume smell. I can't imagine anyone would go to the trouble of having these jerseys made, rolling around in the dirt, and splashing on expensive perfume, when he could have worn the jersey for one game, rubbed some dirt in, and used a new one the next night. Yes, there are a lot out there, but I can't see Manny going to all that trouble to deceive the game used community. In my opinion, it is a bit of a stretch. I think the jerseys are legit, but were likely only used for a game or so. The standard tagged jerseys are the ones that probably saw the most action.

Chris

kingjammy24
03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
hi chris,

simply because an item smells like a certain scent doesn't mean it was sprayed by the scent or even worn by a person wearing the scent. many scents easily attach themselves to adjacent items. if manny received a box of these shirts, had the clubhouse guy rub them in dirt after a game, and then stuffed them all into a gym bag with his regular, cologne-scented street clothes, then the cologne would attach itself to whatever else was crammed into the bag.
what if he received them at home and stuck them all in his closet and his closet smells of cologne?

"I can't imagine anyone would go to the trouble of having these jerseys made, rolling around in the dirt, and splashing on expensive perfume, when he could have worn the jersey for one game, rubbed some dirt in, and used a new one the next night. Yes, there are a lot out there, but I can't see Manny going to all that trouble to deceive the game used community. In my opinion, it is a bit of a stretch."

it's a stretch to splash cologne (not sure how we've ascertained it was "expensive") on the jerseys but not a stretch to "rub some dirt in"?
these jerseys have silly, atypical tagging proving someone DID go to the trouble to have them made. secondly, they have dirt in the most bizarre places proving that someone did roll them around in the dirt. your alternate theory is that he got them via the team route (why then do they have tagging not seen on any other sox jerseys?), he wore them for one game, and then rubbed some dirt in them?
chris, if he legitimately wore them for 1 game or so, then why rub dirt in them? when someone tries to stage something it's because they're trying to cover something up. you're saying he actually wore them and then, for some reason, felt the need to rub some dirt in them? if they were worn, then he'd know they were legit and there'd be no need to stage anything. if your place was legitimately robbed, before calling the cops would you create more of a mess just to add to it all? you'd have no need to as it was all legit. you'd only stage a robbery if one hadn't really occurred but you wanted people to believe otherwise.

personally, i can't imagine anyone:
- who's made well over $126MM spending their time and effort to invite a dealer over to sell 25 jerseys. what did phil of sportsworld pay him? maybe $2k a pop? a man who's made well over $126MM and easily has another $50MM on the way spent his off-time inviting a stranger to his home in order to make $50k.
- lying to help his friend sell a $4k bbq.
- forgetting to cash a paycheck after 5 months
- people said he disappeared into the green monster to use the bathroom. unfortunately, there are no toilet facilities inside the green monster. (maybe that's where he keeps all of those jerseys he sells? given the tons that are out there, maybe he needs to change into a new one every inning).

so while it would seem a stretch or unlikely to any normal person, you're dealing with manny and as such, all bets for normalcy are off. personally, i wouldn't be surprised to see manny at a ford dealership trying to haggle the dealer down $100 on a used Focus.

2 previous forum member's takes on this:

gamer35:
"The jerseys may have been worn, but I believe that they were doctored. I have nearly every Red Sox game from 2003 and 2004 archived and in going back and reviewing the games, it is evident that the dirt stains are not consistent with actual game wear. How do you explain dirt stains inside the jersey and on the year tagging? It is not as if he slid into second base with his shirt untucked. How about the supposed game used Manny shirts from 2005 from Steiner? I saw a few of them and they show absolutely no use with crisp tags. Same goes for the 25 "game used" shirts that he unloaded to Sportsworld in Boston following the '05 season."

reid fontaine:
"Manny Ramirez Red Sox jerseys from the last few years with the giant-font year tags and the same manufactured dirt patterns on the front. These jerseys always have the same dirt patterns that actually cover the tagging (as if Manny slid into base head first all of the time with his shirt tail out)!! Some of these jerseys are listed as being from certain games. In the old gameusedforum, there was a post by a member who stated that he watched a game from which one of the supposedly game used Manny jerseys came and Manny never slid into base or got dirty at all ... yet the shirt had the same exact dirt pattern on the front as all of them do. They come with Manny's own letter, signed by him ... but it doesn't mean a thing. There are a boatload of these. Here again, I'm not saying that they are not game worn ... but I wouldn't touch one of these with a 10-foot pole. The Manny jerseys that I've seen that I know are real and game used have the normal Boston tagging (consistent with the tagging across Red Sox players for that year) and not a single one has the dirt pattern that you find on all of the Manny jerseys that come with his signed letter."

rudy.

David
03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Ramirez told a reporter he lied about the grill being his in order to drive up the price. Beyond that this appears to fit the definition of attempted sales fraud and Ramirez apparently doesn't have an issue with lying to memorabilia collectors, this should cause one pause when looking at a LOA signed by him.

David
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I can promise you that or years to come, when an auction is offering a game used jersey "directly from Manny Ramirez," many collectors will say, "You mean just like that grill?"

kingjammy24
03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
"manny" said he paid $4k for the grill. funny how you can currently get it at lowe's for $1749.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=127141-40307-730-0339&lpage=none

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press:
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The gas grill offered for sale by Manny Ramirez was removed from eBay because he could not be verified as its owner and the listing violated company policy.
The seller's contact information given to the Web site when the item was listed was not that of the Boston Red Sox slugger, said eBay spokeswoman Nichola Sharpe.
The customer support team called the phone number in the contact information and spoke several times with someone other than Ramirez, she said. "We have requested additional verification," Sharpe said. "If it's not officially from (Ramirez) it would disappoint his many fans."
One violation, Sharpe said, was that the listing on the Web site said Ramirez bought the grill, but he told a reporter it belongs to a neighbor in Weston, Fla. The neighbor's involvement first was reported by The Boston Globe.
The original listing included seven photos of the grill, two with Ramirez next to it, and the message: "Hi, I'm Manny Ramirez. I bought this AMAZING grill for about $4,000 and I used it once. ... But I never have the time to use it because I am always on the road. I would love to sell it and you will get an autographed ball signed by me. Enjoy it, Manny Ramirez."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm Manny Ramirez. I colluded with my neighbor in an effort to defraud my fans by claiming I used an item which I really didn't. I didn't really buy this AMAZING grill and even if i would have, it wouldn't have cost $4000. But hey, when it comes to me, most people overpay. I never have the time to use it because it doesn't belong to me. I would love to sell it so me and my upstanding neighbor can have a good laugh about how, with a few lies here and there, it's pretty easy to make some coin. Hey Papi, let's start movin some more of those jerseys!

after lying about who he is, what he paid, and who the grill belonged to, what's next from this stellar neighbor of his? "manny ramirez's weed wacker. bought for $300, sell for $2000"? maybe "manny ramirez's used garden hose. bought for $30, sell for $850"?. what a sweet deal those 2 could work out. at the end of the day, we can all laugh and chalk it up to "manny being manny!".

is it all surprising why there are about 300 manny ramirez home "gamers" from 2004/2005 out there?

rudy.

staindsox
03-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Rudy, I have appreciated many many of your past posts, but this one is getting into the realm of tinfoil hats and faked moon landings.

1) I bought jerseys in 2003 and 2004 and from other people who had bought them in both 2003 and 2004. Four different transasctions over the course of 3 years; all had the same perfume splashed on the front of the jersey. This is a major coincidence, no? How many jerseys have you bought that smelled like perfume? Manny's are the only ones I have ever ever handled that smelled anything like perfume.

2) Dirt can go all the way down the front of a jersey, lest we forget Steve Lyons. Let's not forgot either that Manny isn't Mr. Hygienic. Why wouldn't he have pinetar on his jerseys? He has it loaded everywhere else. Any time he touches his jersey while he has batting gloves on, I'm sure some pinetar gets on.

3) Dirt can get on the front of a jersey easily too. Dive back to first base once on one pickoff throw; that alone can do it.

4) One of the jerseys I had had a horizontal line of dirt along the back and you could see where his belt pinched at his two back belt loops. I guess whoever wore this jersey must have thrown on his pants and belt too to get this effect.

5) Another jersey had some pine tar and pinching in the left armpit. I guess someone took a bat loaded with pine tar and held it in their armpit to intentionally get that effect too. They may have even used one of Manny's to make sure the scam is truly authentic.

I'm not going to stick up for Manny. He's a strange dude, but why would he not wear the jerseys? The clubhouse guy has to lay a jersey out either way. Manny also has to sign them anyway. Why would he care whether or not he wore one of his jerseys or the official Red Sox tagged jerseys? It's the same to him. It's just as easy for him to wear one for a game and hand it off to his sister, who ran the charity. The jerseys were paid for either way as well. Someone else did the tagging for him, but now Majectic does it for him. It doesn't change the fact that he must use at least 50 a year, regardless the tagging.

If everyone who claims to have a "connection" with the Red Sox actually did, that clubhouse would have their own congressman. If anyone out there truly does have a contact, ask Manny if he used these things. I see no reason to believe that he didn't, but, if he didn't, I would love to know and take him to court. This would be a massive fraud and quite illegal considering it is through a charitable organization.

Chris

both-teams-played-hard
03-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I heard NIKE is making a new, state-of-the-art pair of cleats for ManRam this season. They are complete with a fuse and mini propane tank in the sole to grill steaks at a moment's notice! As the kid's today say: "they're the bomb!"
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4229/ramirez1tf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

karamaxjoe
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I honestly don't understand why anyone would want a Red Sox Ramirez jersey. The market is so flooded with his stuff that the value will keep suffering. It kind of reminds me of Tony Gwynn jerseys and how his wife flooded the market with his stuff during his run to 3000 hits.

Isn't the whole point in collecting something about owning a RARE and valuable piece? At the rate Manny and other modern players are going, you should be able to find their stuff at Wal Mart soon on sale. Or how about wrapping Manny jerseys in wax packs and selling ten for a hundred bucks? Don't laugh since it can't be too far in the future.

Mike

staindsox
03-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I see it another way Mike. I like the market being flooded. I can actually afford some of these things. I would love to have one of Ted Williams game used bats. Whether it is worth $2 or $200,000, I am a fan of Ted and would love to have one of his gamers to put on my wall, but that would never happen because of the price, I can't afford it. If there were another 10,000 of his bats out there, I could afford it. From an investment point of view, I completely understand what you are saying, but I'm not in the hobby for the value of an item. I've overpaid for items, but I don't dwell on that. I enjoy the item, not its value. If Manny wore 150 jerseys a year and I could buy one for $100, I would jump at the chance.

Chris

jon_8_us
03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
I see it another way Mike. I like the market being flooded. I can actually afford some of these things. I would love to have one of Ted Williams game used bats. Whether it is worth $2 or $200,000, I am a fan of Ted and would love to have one of his gamers to put on my wall, but that would never happen because of the price, I can't afford it. If there were another 10,000 of his bats out there, I could afford it. From an investment point of view, I completely understand what you are saying, but I'm not in the hobby for the value of an item. I've overpaid for items, but I don't dwell on that. I enjoy the item, not its value. If Manny wore 150 jerseys a year and I could buy one for $100, I would jump at the chance.

Chris

I agree 100%.And about the cologne argument i have a Manny game used hat that shows great use and a distinct smell of cologne.It is from his website and the Coa is from him and his wife.I don't believe this hat is doctored in anyway since there is fading and use that just wouldn't be worth anyones time to fake.I find it very hard to believe that Manny is dishonest in anyway with his game used items.He is very nice and accomadating to his fans as i can personally attest.He is very fan conscience even if the media portrays him as not caring.I believe Manny uses more jersey and hats then any other player but i do not for a second think he fakes anything.No one here has any proof of this just speculation and character judgements based on the media portrayals and an aloof atitude which certainly does not make him a liar and thief!!!Which is basically what some of you are alluding to....
jon
jon

kingjammy24
03-24-2007, 02:53 PM
"I find it very hard to believe that Manny is dishonest in anyway with his game used items.He is very nice and accomadating to his fans as i can personally attest.He is very fan conscience even if the media portrays him as not caring...which certainly does not make him a liar and thief!!!Which is basically what some of you are alluding to...."

jon, i'm curious how you reconcile your statement above with the facts of the grill fiasco?

rudy.

jon_8_us
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
"I find it very hard to believe that Manny is dishonest in anyway with his game used items.He is very nice and accomadating to his fans as i can personally attest.He is very fan conscience even if the media portrays him as not caring...which certainly does not make him a liar and thief!!!Which is basically what some of you are alluding to...."

jon, i'm curious how you reconcile your statement above with the facts of the grill fiasco?

rudy.

Maybe you live in the Boston area and maybe you don't.For those of us that do there is one universal truth when it comes to Manny Ramirez.Form your own opinion because anything that comes from 'Media Manny' and there is VERY little is very hard to decipher.This is not a guy that takes what he says to anyone seriously.He cares about himself and his family and thats it.Which is something you can say for a vast number of professional sports stars.There is some weirdness about the ebay auction but the fact is on planet Manny i wholeheartedy believe there was never any attempt to lie and cheat.It has been reported in the Boston Globe and Herald that this incident ranges from a practical joke to just Manny posing with a grill for his neighbor.Many different story's as there always is with Ramirez.The only place i have ever heard this amount of negativety concerning Manny is on this board.No papers,no blogs,nothing.And if there was something noteworthy and really serious about Manny or his dealings it would have come across my desk.Like i said before i'm not disputing that he takes advantage of his status as a Boston icon by selling copious amounts of his game used items,what i will defend is his character as a really nice guy who loves his fans.I have met him outside Fenway a handleful of times and he is very accomodating and genuinely nice which flies in the face of media reports saying he hates all the attention and needs out of Boston because of his lack of privacy.Again another Boston media snafu in judgement.They have nothing else to write about the man because he never talks.This is my opinion and i believe it to be pretty justified because i am confident in saying no one on this forum knows more about Manny and current Red Sox baseball then myself.
jon

flaco1801
03-27-2007, 02:03 AM
boston couldnt give him away,nobody took him on waivers, imagine when he stops hitting. this is the kind of player we (older fans) dislike about the state of baseball. im not sayin the past had better character players, they just played the game and left the antics off the field.......... dont get me started about the football dances and shuffles. its all about money...... right auction houses? right authenticators??? sheesh these guys gotta make a living its hard work.:)

Oil Can Dan
03-27-2007, 07:51 PM
boston couldnt give him away,nobody took him on waivers, imagine when he stops hitting.

Or imagine if he hadn't had $120,000,000 remaining on his contract at the time.

Every team "passing on Manny" did so because of the size of the financial commitment he was owed. It had nothing at all to do with Manny the person or Manny the baseball player. By all accounts he's a first ballot HoFer. Are you really suggesting that each team passed on him due to reasons other than his contract?

this is the kind of player we (older fans) dislike about the state of baseball.

Why? What has Manny ever done "on the field" as you note below that makes you hate him? Manny works incredibly hard at his craft. he's the first guy to the park and the last guy to leave. There are articles out there about this but I suspect it's far easier to go with the flow and to assume that Manny's some sort of slacker that disrespects the game. It's a false premise.

[quote=flaco1801;36025]im not sayin the past had better character players, they just played the game and left the antics off the field.......... dont get me started about the football dances and shuffles. its all about money...... right auction houses? right authenticators??? sheesh these guys gotta make a living its hard work.:)[quote]

Manny just plays the game, but apparently that's not enough for you. Sure he's not a huge drunk like Mickey Mantle and sure he's not a racist like Ty Cobb, but at least those guys didn't sell their jerseys and stuff, right? Maybe he needs to do greenies like every player that played in the 70's did. After all, they just played the game and left the antics off the field.

Or was it that there were far fewer reporters and far fewer media outlets than there are today?

Hmmm...

flaco1801
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
of course they passed because of his contract because he aint worth the money and the grief.

jon_8_us
03-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Or imagine if he hadn't had $120,000,000 remaining on his contract at the time.

Every team "passing on Manny" did so because of the size of the financial commitment he was owed. It had nothing at all to do with Manny the person or Manny the baseball player. By all accounts he's a first ballot HoFer. Are you really suggesting that each team passed on him due to reasons other than his contract?

Why? What has Manny ever done "on the field" as you note below that makes you hate him? Manny works incredibly hard at his craft. he's the first guy to the park and the last guy to leave. There are articles out there about this but I suspect it's far easier to go with the flow and to assume that Manny's some sort of slacker that disrespects the game. It's a false premise.

[quote=flaco1801;36025]im not sayin the past had better character players, they just played the game and left the antics off the field.......... dont get me started about the football dances and shuffles. its all about money...... right auction houses? right authenticators??? sheesh these guys gotta make a living its hard work.:)[quote]

Manny just plays the game, but apparently that's not enough for you. Sure he's not a huge drunk like Mickey Mantle and sure he's not a racist like Ty Cobb, but at least those guys didn't sell their jerseys and stuff, right? Maybe he needs to do greenies like every player that played in the 70's did. After all, they just played the game and left the antics off the field.

Or was it that there were far fewer reporters and far fewer media outlets than there are today?

Hmmm...

AMEN!

both-teams-played-hard
03-27-2007, 11:56 PM
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9056/mannyrushmoreor5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for Manny."
"One small step for man. One giant leap for Manny."
"Give me liberty or give me Manny."
"By any Manny necessary."
"Read my lips...no new gas grills."
"Manny cannot live on bread alone."
"A Manny's word is his bond."
"Manny at last, Manny at last. Thank God Almighty, we have Manny at last."

JETEFAN
03-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Enough already !!!!!

How about them Yankees !!!!!!!!:D

suave1477
03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
OilCan you hit it right on the head (Hands clap all around)

BothTeamsPlayHard you are too funny lol:D

BUT I HAVE TO AGREE WITH JETEFAN LETS TALK ABOUT A REAL TEAM LIKE THE YANKEES LOL LOL

BY THE WAY I WAS INSPIRED BY MANNY SELLING HIS HOUSE JUNK

WOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN BUYING YANKEE FAN USED UNDERWEAR - ONLY WORN ONCE AND AUTHENTICATED BY LOU LAMPSON LOL LOL

mwbosoxfan
03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
OilCan you hit it right on the head (Hands clap all around)

DITTO!