PDA

View Full Version : McGWIRE JERSEYS ON EBAY

hblakewolf
03-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Forum Readers-
Currently on Ebay, you'll find a package of 2 jerseys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Mark-McGwire-Game-Used-Worn-Jersey-96-Home-97-Road_W0QQitemZ280095139457QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

What's extremely interesting is:

Size: 52. I've never seen an A's this size. The biggest size was worn during his final season in 1997, being a 50. The shirt I'm referecning that is a size 50 also had a team LOA.

Tagging: Never seen a home of this era with a year tag.

Name plates: Completely wrong. The letters are not applied correctly. Notice how the arch is not correct. Especially love the E on the home white!

LOA: Not from the A's!

I'm currently buying REAL McGwire game jerseys and equipment. Should you have anything to offer, please contact me.

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

skyking26
03-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Howard:

Was going to email you, but thought I would check the site first. You beat me to it. What did you think of the fake silver auto?? Been awhile since I have seen anything quite this bad -

Bob

hblakewolf
03-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Forum Readers-
I have received several emails from various Forum readers, all in agreement that these shirts are suspect at best.

I also received a response from the Ebay seller, "RAG TOP CUDA":

----- Original Message ----- From: "Junior Dill" <ragtopcuda@hotmail.com (ragtopcuda@hotmail.com)>
To: <hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)>
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:13 PM
Subject: McGwires

To Howard Blake:

I am sure I have had and seen more 96 A's jerseys than anybody...some of which I obtained from the A's fanfest. This 96 came from the team
originally. I also saw 3 other A's jerseys besides McGwire that bore the
1996 tagging. I had a different 96 mcgwire that did not have this agging.
All shirts were legit.

Howard Blake, you can't be so naive to believe that 100 percent of all
jerseys will be the same all the time. Seems to me, that if Howard Blake
says it ain't so, then it must be a bad shirt. I have seen multiple jerseys
come directly into the clubhouse from Rawlings for one player with
stitching, numbers, and placement be different on each of the jersey that
came in off the same run. Other teams also bore variations of the 1996
tagging....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harold-Baines-1996-Chicago-White-Sox-Game-Used-Jersey_W0QQitemZ170087951282QQcategoryZ60597QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Harold-Baines-1996-Chicago-White-Sox-Game-Used-Jersey_W0QQitemZ170087951282QQcategoryZ60597QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yankees-Nelson-43-1996-Game-Used-Home-Jersey_W0QQitemZ260095335424QQcategoryZ60597QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Yankees-Nelson-43-1996-Game-Used-Home-Jersey_W0QQitemZ260095335424QQcategoryZ60597QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Being in the hobby, you should also know that McGwire increased in his girth from 92 to 01. Players often request larger jerseys when cycling on and off steroids, growth hormone, and thryroid. When the players are cycling on they gain 35 pounds of water rentention in 6 weeks and lose 90 percent of that over the course of the next 6 weeks. You cannot fit into the same shirt if you are 35 pounds heavier. Drug Free players often request a larger shirt when playing in colder or windy climates like San Fran, Chicago, so they layer they undergarments underneath. But lets see....if you really knew anything about what happens in the locker room...maybe you would know some these things! Before throwing down accusations and insults, you should really be more cautious.

Believe it or not, there are people who know more than you in this hobby. You should never consider yourself so profound to be an expert, because in this hobby, there are none. You can learn something everyday. Your pride will probably be the factor that gets in the way of your learning experience here. Just remember, Pride comes before the Fall.

I have no idea even where to begin with this response......

1. He indicates this came from the A's Fanfest. What's interesting is that there is no LOA from the A's, however, just Grey Flannel.

2. He indicates that teams have different tagging styles and references a White Sox and a Yankees. correct, both teams have different styles, however, he fails to mention that all 1996 Yankees have the same type tagging, as does the White sox for 1996. do the Yankess and White Sox use the same style tagging-of course not! I'm not sure what this has to do wiith the issue at hand about the A's 1996 jersey in question having a year tag. I've never seen another 1996 A's with year tag.

3. He rants about sizes changing. What's interersting is that the names on back, 25 on front of the home and the tagging are all incorrect. I guess during one of these weight gains, a player has to beg the local seamstress to make a jersey up in a flash. Maybe these are just 2 of these jerseys.

Thsi forum has several a's and McGwire collectors. I encourage those of you with informaiton to add to this post.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
03-18-2007, 04:07 PM
As a side note-

Please see the year tag on the 1996 home jersey. The two 9's are completely different fonts! Look at the bottom tails of each 9-totally different! I can't say as though I've ever seen this before!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

whatupyos
03-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I will add to help back up Howard because I believe his concerns are legit! I understand from what I have heard that the A's stopped using year tags for a big peroid in the 90's. I have been an A's fan since I was 5 years old and go to the games every year, as many as I can. I havent seen a legit A's jersey with a team LOA with a 1996 year tag. It's possible they exist, I'm not going to say 100% that they don't, I just havent seen one personally. Also, if you look at the "G" on the 1996 white, on the name plate it appears to be the wrong font I believe. Look at any cards/photos of McGwire during a game and look how much spacing is in the letter "G" from the top of the G to where it curves in, and the spacing from where the bottom of the "G" is to where it goes into the letter should be more. I don't know how to explain it any better, I might not be making any sense, but I'm trying my best. For me, when I examine the jerseys thats the first thing I look for is to see if the "G" matches my over 200 cards and photos. I am not going to call out anyone, because I'm trying to follow the rules as best I can, but I've been offered both the jerseys that are on EBAY twice by two different people and there are just too many questions that I have. I own a 1996 green alternate with a team letter that I bought from a forum member who is a huge collector of A's jerseys and well respected. The size is a 50. I know Mac wore 52 in St. Louis but I don't know if he was a 52 in 1997 with the A's. The biggest size that I know of is 50 in 1996. The 1997 green alternate has a size tag of 52 plus 3" extra body legnth and I believe Mac only had "2in extra body length in his A's career. Mine has a 2" extra body length tag and a 1" sleeve length tags. Plus the 1997 seems to have a lot of fraying of the numbers and letters however the tags seem pretty crisp and dark not faded. Those are my observations. I don't know if others will agree. The #5 on the front of the home white looks different as well, but it could just be the angle of the picture. If others care to offer their observations, I welcome them too as well. Hopefully this can be informational.

Aaron

zonker
03-19-2007, 07:53 AM
is there no one who can post a picture of the correct tagging for a 1996 mcgwire a's jersey and correct font on back? member's say they are wrong,and very well could be! i don't know for sure, i'm no expert! but they haven't posted a picture of a jersey with the correct size font or tagging with a team c.o.a.to back up there claim's. there has to be some out there. i've been researching the tagging on other a's player's jersey's from that period very common player's that there would be no reason for tag changes to increase the value of the jersey. some of them sold for less than a retail jersey. in researching past auction's, i've seen both examples! some with team c.o.a.'s some unfortunatly by you know who! in 95 some have the year tag with just the "95" on it some don't, and in 96 i've seen some with "1996" tagging in the same placeing as the yankees jersey and some without. are there no record's of any type? or no one on this forum that can contact the a's ex-equipment manager or team for answear's? someone on this forum has contact info for canseco's past agent. maybe they could chime in on this with an opion!since they handled many of canseco's jersey. they i would think would be made the same as mcgwire's' during that period.

hblakewolf
03-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Aaron-
Is it possible for you to post photos of the tagging on your 1996 McGwire alternate green jersey?

As for the correct name on back, simply go to Getty images-there are quite a few phtos of him during the 1996 season showing his name on back in the correct fashion.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

karamaxjoe
03-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Howard,
First I'd like to say I'm in no way an authority on A's jerseys, but I've found some interesting jerseys in old catalogs. Grey Flannel has auctioned two McGwire home 1996 jerseys with the exact same tags and size 52. In the December 2001 and November 2002 catalogs they have the same specs as the ebay jersey. Either someone created more than just one jersey or the tags and size are correct. I really wanted to find a common player from 1996 but couldn't. I also took a look at Getty images and the name plate also looks somewhat correct, but that E on the end shouldn't be out of place. I've posted a picture below. I also found a McGwire alternate 1997 jersey in the Grey Flannel November 2003 catalog. This jersey was a size 50 but the tags appeared consistent with the ebay jersey. Again a common player would have helped. I'm also not saying the Grey Flannel jerseys are correct since I don't collect A's stuff and anyone who's seen the People's Court knows Grey Flannel may not be on the level 100% of the time. But that's three 1996 McGwire home jerseys with the same tags and size. I don't want to fuel the fire here between you and RAG TOP CUDA but based on what I found his 96 jersey appears consistent. I also felt Rag's comments were out of line and he should have stuck to the facts instead of his personal agenda. What we really need is someone to post pictures of a common player 96 home.

Mike

hblakewolf
03-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Howard,
First I'd like to say I'm in no way an authority on A's jerseys, but I've found some interesting jerseys in old catalogs. Grey Flannel has auctioned two McGwire home 1996 jerseys with the exact same tags and size 52. In the December 2001 and November 2002 catalogs they have the same specs as the ebay jersey. Either someone created more than just one jersey or the tags and size are correct. I really wanted to find a common player from 1996 but couldn't. I also took a look at Getty images and the name plate also looks somewhat correct, but that E on the end shouldn't be out of place. I've posted a picture below. I also found a McGwire alternate 1997 jersey in the Grey Flannel November 2003 catalog. This jersey was a size 50 but the tags appeared consistent with the ebay jersey. Again a common player would have helped. I'm also not saying the Grey Flannel jerseys are correct since I don't collect A's stuff and anyone who's seen the People's Court knows Grey Flannel may not be on the level 100% of the time. But that's three 1996 McGwire home jerseys with the same tags and size. I don't want to fuel the fire here between you and RAG TOP CUDA but based on what I found his 96 jersey appears consistent. I also felt Rag's comments were out of line and he should have stuck to the facts instead of his personal agenda. What we really need is someone to post pictures of a common player 96 home.

Mike

Hi Mike-
Thanks for the post.

The jerseys in question have Grey Flannel LOA's, not LOA's from the A's. As you note, "anyone who's seen the People's Court knows Grey Flannel may not be on the level 100% of the time". The seller specifically noted to me that the white came from the A's, however, when questioned, has yet to respond to the fact that he has no evidence/prooof of it ever being sold directly from the A's. Did he throw the LOA away? How about a receipt? A bit odd, don't you think?

As for your research showing Grey Flannel had other McGwire's with the same tagging, in my opinion it simply proves that there are quite a few 1996 McGwires now in the hobby that are suspect. Can someone produce another A's 1996 jersey with year tags AND a Oakland LOA? I've never seen a 1996 A's with team letter that had a year tag. Likewise, I've spoken to quite a few A's collectors who indicate the A's did not use year tags in 1996. I made a previous post with photo showing that this particular shirt's year tag has 2 different styles/fonts for the 9's. The curve on the bottom of each is different. One is curved more, the other flat. Again, an oddity that I've never seen on a Russell shirt, nor expect to find on a factory manufactured Russell jersey. Has anyone ever seen this type of year tag with 2 different fonts used on a jersey that also has a team LOA? Any A's collector care to add to this?

The Getty image you posted is different than the shirt on ebay. It's tough to see, however, the arch is correct (as it should be!) on the Getty, however, the Ebay arch is way off, especially the E. The E on the Ebay shirt is positioned too high. Aaron also commented on the G being incorrect on the Ebay shirt.

Personally, based on prior information I have obtained about McGwire jerseys from 1996/7, I am passing on the 2 Ebay jerseys (wrong size, incorrect tagging, odd nameplate, no team LOA). Should another Forum reader be comfortable purchasing these, based on the information posted here, by all means enjoy!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

karamaxjoe
03-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Howard,
In taking a closer look at the two Grey Flannel jerseys I referenced earlier, the 1996 font is the same as the ebay jersey. Why would Russell or the team stamp 1996 with two different size numbers and fonts? It's as if someone had a 19 stamp and then a different font and size nine that was used for the two last digits. I'd be willing to bet a lot on a common player tag not having this same problem.

You have to admit the ebay jersey is consistent with the two Grey Flannel jerseys. Although consistent with fraud is the most likely answer.

Mike