PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddux 2004 Road Cubs Jersey on eBay

RobSteinmetz
03-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Forum Members,

This post is in reference to eBay item 220088783416. I have received at least a dozen emails about this jersey since it showed up on eBay for the second time several days ago. Simply stated, the tagging on this jersey is incorrect for a 2004 Maddux jersey. Legitimate 2004 Maddux jerseys have his uniform number included on the strip tag in the collar. The style tagging on this jersey is found on jerseys worn by late season call ups and/or players acquired during a midseason trade. Maddux was signed by the Cubs prior to the start of the 2004 season. It is also my understanding that the interior wash tag is missing from this jersey, although that is not disclosed in the auction listing. I emailed this seller with this exact information the first time the jersey was listed. The jersey was pulled at that time, and has now been relisted. I make this post with the hope that some unsuspecting collector won't spend his/her hard-earned money on this item.

Happy Collecting,

kingjammy24
03-14-2007, 03:34 PM
rob,

i'm aware of both styles of tagging that you mention. aside from this particular jersey, i'm unsure if a maddux "spare tagged" jersey ought to be automatically considered illegitimate solely because it's tagged as a spare. that is, is it unlikely that maddux could've worn a spare?

typically, spares are intended, as you said, for post-spring training trades and call-ups. however, they're also used for a variety of other reasons; to immediately replace lost, stolen, or damaged shirts, for players wanting to try a different size. as well, given the uber-superstitious nature of some players (using the same bat during a streak, not shaving, wearing the same socks, etc) i wouldn't be surprised to learn that players sometimes consider particular jerseys unlucky and ditch them. in such a case, a spare would be pulled.

if maddux was issued say 4 roads at the start of the season and over the course of the season, he gave 2 away and then 2 were stolen or lost, wouldn't he likely end up with a spare at some point?

maddux is a superstar. it's likely that his jerseys are constantly pilfered and/or requested by vip's, charities, friends, fellow players, etc. if i saw a spare-tagged clemens jays jersey, i wouldn't think it unlikely. in some aspects, it makes sense. i'd just have to be diligent in making sure that everything else on the jersey was up to par.

even on a non-superstar level, i think it's acceptable. i've got a well-used 1990 manny lee gamer tagged as a spare. lee had a solid roster spot at the start of the year. in looking over the manny lee offerings from 1990/1991 from the jays, a pattern seemed to emerge; for one reason or another, he didn't wear the fully tagged shirts and preferred the spare-tagged ones. his fully tagged, set 1 and 2 for both home and road that year are "game-ready". silly superstition? maybe. maybe he started the season off in a spare (due to a delayed shipment from the manufacturer) and got on a streak and decided to wear it for most of the year?

in many cases, i wouldn't automatically reject a spare-tagged shirt. i do realize though that they're more likely to be doctored - after all, all you need to do is purchase any legit spare for $90 and you can easily turn it into a $2000 jersey. if a jersey is fully-tagged (with the uniform number and/or name), then it's much harder to turn it into something it isn't.

do you automatically reject spares though?

rudy.

RobSteinmetz
03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Rudy,

As a rule, I don't automatically do anything....including rejecting "spares". However, with regard to modern Cubs jerseys, I have more insight than most. Per my contact with the team, ALL jerseys worn by and ordered for Maddux between 2004-2006 had his jersey number in the strip tag. All strip tags include his jersey number, size, the year, and a set number...except for home pinstripes, which are often found without set numbers (but always with the uniform number). This is not speculation, it's fact.

It's also important to note that Maddux stopped wearing size 46 jerseys in June of 2004. Therefore, this "spare", if legit, could only have been worn between April and June. Plus, Maddux's size 46 jerseys were all tapered, and this jersey doesn't appear to have that customization. Of the nine Maddux jerseys and the countless other star Cubs jerseys from 2004-2006 I've handled, I've never seen a single example with call-up style tagging. Not to mention the torn out wash tag, which is entirely different issue.

I should also mention that I sift through hundreds of Cubs jerseys every year at their annual Convention and Garage Sales. When the team needs a jersey in a pinch, especially on the road, players typically receive jerseys without any tagging in the collar at all. Most call-up jerseys are also found without any tagging in the collar at all, but a handful will have call-up style tagging similar to the Maddux currently listed on eBay. There's no question in my mind that the jersey on eBay is a call-up jersey that someone made up to resemble a Maddux. Someone did the same thing with a 2004 Nomar Garciaparra #8 Cubs jersey that was sold through Bricol.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

kingjammy24
03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
rob,

thanks for the detailed explanation. i'm sure many others learnt from it as well. initially i thought you were implying a general sentiment that spare tagging isn't legit for a player who'd made the team in spring training. i see this isn't the case and that your comments were centered around this specific maddux jersey.

rudy.