PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Puckett bat on eBay

staindsox
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330097918661&rd=1&rd=1

Title edited by moderator. If you are calling an item into question, please state facts to back up your claim AND make an honest attempt to contact the seller with your concerns prior to posting. Thanks for your cooperation.

bat_master
03-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi Chris,

What makes this bat a fake?

Don't get me wrong, I know what it is about this bat that makes it a store model, but what about for those people here that don't know? Share some knowledge as well.

Did you contact the seller with your concerns? I've actually seen a few bats on ebay recently in which I contacted the seller and either gave them the correct information on a mis-dated bat or told them what they actually had.

Most of them were very appreciative because they honestly had no idea what they were selling. This could be the case here as well especially if the seller got the bat second hand and was simply told it was a game used bat.

staindsox
03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Tim,

I did contact the seller. He said he bought it at the Twins Proshop "across the street from the Metrodome." He also said he had a letter from the store, but could not find it at the moment. I didn't see any point in arguing with him because he obviously didn't get it at the Proshop. I turned the lot into eBay this morning and I'm hoping others will do the same so nobody buys a broken store model bat.

All the best,

Chris

Qstick333
03-13-2007, 10:19 AM
I am fairly new to collecting bats and feel like I am not in the "club" - what is it that designates the bat as a store model?

Zach

camarokids
03-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I am fairly new to collecting bats and feel like I am not in the "club" - what is it that designates the bat as a store model?

Zach

in this case .... pro model vs. store model ....would have "powerized" instead of "flame tempered" .... that is what I see , anything else ?????

sylbry
03-13-2007, 03:39 PM
This seller is full of it. He knows very well it is a store model bat. This person caught my attention because he was bidding on every Puckett gamer after Puckett died. He knows what a real gamer looks like and is just trying to dump a store model on an unsuspecting bidder.

Between this seller and that scotty_dog seller that just sold those bogus Killebrew, Carew and Oliva gamers, I am getting pretty fed up with people trying to pass junk Twins gamers on ebay.

Bryan

bat_master
03-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi Bryan,

I actually thought the Carew bat was legit based on the ordering records.

I believe the bat in question was a 1986-89 LS C243 that was 34" long. This would be supported by the records as a post-career bat. Not game used necessarily, but not bogus either.

The Oliva and Killebrew I'm not so sure about.

sylbry
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Tim,

I emailed the seller about all three bats stating my concerns. He disagreed with me on the Oliva and Carew bats, not the Killebrew. I confirmed with Mike Specht that Oliva never ordered that bat before contacting the seller. I told the seller that according to the shipping records Oliva never ordered that model bat, in addition Oliva ended his career before the bat was made. The seller said he had no idea what I was talking about and said he had it autheticated by a Twins bat expert I had never heard of.

As far as the Carew bat goes, I agree that it does match his previous year's records and the "29" on the knob looks similar to others I have seen. However, once again it was made after his playing days ended and as such, the bat is not "game used" as he described and not worth nearly the $400 purchase price.

The person who bought all three bats is a collector of all things Killebrew and probobly doesn't have the knowledge to know that the bats were not as described.

Just another example of why you should always do your homework.

Bryan

bat_master
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Just another example of why you should always do your homework.

I agree 100%. I don't have anything to add to your previous post.