PDA

View Full Version : Starting Up - Detective Work? (ie M Camby 96-97 Gamer)

Tilter
03-10-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm very new to the Hobby. I want to start a collection (to display) and focus on my hometown teams and various players I like.

There is a jersey I saw that popped up on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200085462731

What way is there to do detective work on a short term auction, where it can be difficult to find photos, match tagging etc. What signs do you look for, and identifiers?

I'm probably leaving a lot of things out, and will ask as I go along. Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

ahuff
03-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Basketball jerseys, I personally believe, are the most difficult to authentic use. I truly believe most are not even worn by a player. However, the seller is very reputable (the only person I'll buy NBA stuff from), and has a terrific collection and sources.

Just call him up and ask about the amount of wear. He is always very helpful.

Good luck!!!

Sincityson
03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
That seems like a low price for a Camby game used jersey. If it's 100% authentic, and confirmed game worn, I'd say it's a great price. Otherwise, it's probably just decent for agame issued.. Best thing with these are team COAs/LOAs, etc.. if the team does in fact issues them. They don't always seem to accompany the jerseys though.

SC

both-teams-played-hard
03-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Basketball jerseys, I personally believe, are the most difficult to authentic use. I truly believe most are not even worn by a player.

I totally agree when it comes to recent superstar jerseys made by Nike. Where are the scrubs and bench-warmers? I only see LeBron and Yao and Kobe, or it just seems like it. Where are the auction houses that sell the modern-day scrubs or even minor stars? Are Dallas Maverick jerseys the only ones truly accountable?

Tilter
03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I didn't bid on the jersey, as its hard to determine. I was checking his online store and he had another Camby Jersey with Size 50, which made me question the difference in sizing between a home and away jersey, although he was selling all the "scrubs". from that year. He did have a few post 9-11 jerseys with GU Jersey Patch Identifiers. The NBA needs someone like Meigray to sell their jerseys.

cjw
03-12-2007, 12:51 AM
I have purchased several jerseys from the seller (Wayne) and have found him to be a gentleman in every way. I met him a the National in Cleveland a few years ago and he offered to add a Browns game used jersey that I had brought to the show to sell to his dipaly rack (front and center) and try and sell it for me. It sold and he wouldn't accept any commission! And I had never met him or purchased anything from him before! He just wanted to gain a future customer. He has always had great contacts and the stuff I purchased has been excellent. One return I made with him (due to the item being advertised on his website without pics and was indicated as a larger size that it was, was handled with ease.

About the Camby jersey, I lived in Toronto until last month and have has a few Raptors jerseys of that era. It looks right from a tagging standpoint, but I can't comment on Camby's size preferences in particular. This is a rare and popular. discontinued style jersey and for the winning bid, a very good deal. Camby's Raptors jerseys have not brought nearly as much as other players that went through Toronto because like Vince Carter and T-mac he was percieved as "jumping ship" from the franchise.

chris