PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just have to laugh...

bigtime59
12-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Received my Bricol winning this week: a "Marv Foley Baltimore Orioles 1999 Game Used Coaches Home Jersey."
The quotes are there for a reason. I knew when I bid on it that it was a BLUEFIELD Orioles home jersey, and had no problem with that, as it would compliment my Bluefield road jersey. I was fine with that. But I just about fell off my chair when I read the "LOA" that accompanied this piece, which basically just describes the jersey, then notes that it comes with a "Lou Lampson LOA!" (Exclamation point in the original!)

How could ANYBODY who claims to be an expert authenticator NOT know that this was not a BALTIMORE Orioles jersey? Rawlings last made jerseys for the big club in 1991, yet this jersey is claimed to be a 1999 model. It has a neck tag! IF it was a 1999 Baltimore jersey, where's the bird? Where's the Ripken Sr memorial #7? Where's the year tag? Where's the glorious future I was promised if I quit chasing loose women and recreational drugs? (Sorry, got carried away there.) Now, I've seen a lot of misidentified Orioles minor league stuff out there, a bunch of it on Bricol, but this "LOA" was so funny it went all the way around to sad...kinda like the Orioles offseason so far...
Happy New Year to All on the Forum (you too, Lou!)

Mark Sutton
bigtime59

Swoboda4
12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Mark-unbelievable. I tell you what these "big shot" LOA's are good for -to line the botom of a bird cage. I said this today already but in light of what you just told us I'll repeat. There's no absolute unless you see it come off the back of a player but,the only "LOA" I trust is when the experts and members of this Forum say something is good.

hblakewolf
12-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Mark-
It appears Lampson may need a refresher on all Orioles jerseys, major league, minor league and St. Patrick's. If memory serves correct, he also wrote the letter on the Orioles green St. Patrick's Ripken, and the Forum readers have yet to ever locate a shread of evidence that the Orioles ever wore green jerseys, let alone Ripken. Lampson's letter even notes that the green St. Pat's jersey "compared to other Orioles St. Patric's jerseys" he saw in the spring training locker room!

As long as people continue to support the so called "expert authenticators", the endless pile of worthless letters of authenticity will continue to be included with suspect, or for that matter, completely fake jerseys.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net