PDA

View Full Version : Is Lampson in hiding?

lund6771
03-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Here's some food for thought...Last night I was watching a TIVO of when Grey Flannel was on the People's Court...They had authenticated a Ripken TBC jersey as game used but the game was canceled...Grey Flannel lost the case and had to give the guy $2500 even though the guy never even bought it from them...Grey Flannel has a phone number, e-mail, fax, etc. to get ahold of them anytime to discuss anything...their arguement was that "it was there opinion" that this jersey was worn...sound familiar?

where the hell is Lampson hiding...he gets by every day with the "opinion" garbage...sadly to say he probably can legally use that line unless there is 100% proof that it is not authentic...like the Ripken St. Pats jersey...The Darrell Griffith that was talked about might be another...All the Twins jerseys with no strip tag..How many 94 Favre throwbacks has he authenticated?...I'd love to see someone take him to the Peoples Court to expose him...why is it so easy for auction houses to get ahold of this clown to authenticate stuff, but when an issue comes up the guy is a ghost...where is he to answer qustions about some of his "opnions"...has he ever seen a jersey that he DOESN'T think is "100% authentic"?...Money must be good for the Ghost...I have heard that he's hunkered down in Atlanta someplace...

why is HE never seen at the National to promote his business like Grey Flannel?...He isn't dumb...there's waaaayyy to many people looking for him

Although I do belive that Lampson is somewhat knowledgable about vintage uniforms, the new stuff that he authenticates 100's of everyday is a joke

both-teams-played-hard
03-06-2007, 02:55 AM
...when an issue comes up the guy is a ghost...Money must be good for the Ghost...

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/7366/caspertwo0001ni2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I just got this glass at Arby's.

BoneRubbedBat
03-06-2007, 11:25 AM
go to MSN.com and click on White Pages. Enter L for the first name and Lampson for the last. Choose Georgia for the state and hit search. You will only have one result.

allstarsplus
03-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I did a Google search and found this:

Game Used Memorabilia - 100% Authentic/Lou Lampson

Lou Lampson is considered by collectors, ex-athletes, and equipment managers, alike as a foremost authority and analyst in the field. He has authenticated for the National Sports Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, The College Football HOF, Texas Sports HOF, Upper Deck Authenticated and the hobby's major auction houses.

Lou has over thirty years' experience in collecting, authenticating and appraising game used uniforms and related equipment. He owns an extensive game used collection covering all four major sports, including numerous, unique, "Perfect 10" representations and has an astonishing 8,000 plus uniform-related photos in his reference library.

chakes89
03-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Is this guy even real? LOL

ripkengamers
03-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Forum members,

As you know I have a fond appreciation for Mr. Lampson to the point words cannot describe. I'm slowing working with the help of others to surface my situation with the Ripken St. Patrick's Day jersey not only as a primary means for me to get my money back from the seller but also as a means to surface the real Mr. Lampson and make him publicly accountable for all his poor authentication practices.
I'm currently collecting information from the forum website with accounts to all the known and questionable LOA's / COA's he has provided.
I am asking forum members to provide me as much information and ammunition as possible to support my claims as this endeavor continues. If all goes as planned and hopefully with the help of forum members to back me up, justice will be served, hopefully I'll get my money back and maybe Mr. Lampson will be put on a pedestal and exposed for all the world to see!
Send me links to articles, proof of misinterpretation, etc. to help me out. If you wish to remain anonymous let me know. If you wish to be included as part of this endeavor and support me I'd like to know that as well.
I'll keep the forum members posted of what will be transpiring in the near future.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

flaco1801
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
open up an auction house he will be in contact with ya

lund6771
03-06-2007, 09:16 PM
After reading the posts on "current auctions" forums it makes me just sick!!!...the auction houses HAVE to know what an idiot this guy is...but they get away with selling this trash because they can hide behind Lampson, who in turn thinks he's untouchable because it's his "opinion"...

after watching that People's Court, this guy had better start getting nervous...his cherade can only go so long...

Are you telling me the auction houses can't realize that Eli Manning, Lebron, etc. don't wear 1000 jerseys a season and these jerseys are in EVERY SINGLE AUCTION!!!!...DUH!!!!!!

Lampson can't even be that stupid, coming from Mass. and certainly knowing how difficult REAL Pat's jerseys are to get, to realize that "HMMMMM...it seams that I've authenticated 50 Tom Brady's last year...that's odd..."

The guy is a crook and needs to go down...he is the biggest detriment to this hobby

sylbry
03-06-2007, 09:42 PM
...the auction houses HAVE to know what an idiot this guy is...but they get away with selling this trash because they can hide behind Lampson, who in turn thinks he's untouchable because it's his "opinion"...

It is of my opinion that the auction houses use him because he is a familiar name and will rubberstamp anything. He is just a sellout who puts him "opinion" on everything. But remember the auction houses are the ones who present him the item in question in the first place.

I don't think Lou is as dumb as people think he is. I think he is just a sellout who is in it for the money and justifies everything he authenticates by saying "prove to me it wasn't used" instead of "prove to me it was." And since Lou has yet to find proof that a jersey or bat wasn't used while he watches Days of Our Lives, he authenticates everything.

lund6771
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
exactly!!!!

CollectGU
03-06-2007, 10:23 PM
He is no better or worse than MEARS, but for some reason no one on this site talks about their mistakes. Their retail model Berra mask fiasco is as bad as the Lampson St. Pat's..Maybe worse because it sold for $17K and they had a financial interest in the item...

Dave

BoneRubbedBat
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Who knows if Lampson has a financial interest in any of the items???

Maybe he is the person submitting all the crap getting "authenticated"????

kingjammy24
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
"He is no better or worse than MEARS, but for some reason no one on this site talks about their mistakes."

hello dave. i think this forum (and the old one) is filled with accounts of mears/scda/bushing/troy errors. in fact, i know it is because i've commented on many of them. while i'm not a huge fan of mears, i have to say that i think lampson is undeniably and substantially worse. it's one thing to lay out all of their respective errors and go down the line subjectively comparing which ones were worse. ultimately though, i feel lampson is far worse because:

- any day of the week, i can directly email, write, or call bushing or troy. i can also post on their forum and receive a prompt reply. in fact, you yourself have had extensive discussions directly with troy about the berra mask. if anyone has a problem with a mears authentication, we all know that bushing or troy will at least give you the respect of discussing it like a couple of grown men.

lampson, on the other hand, hides like some sort of petrified schoolgirl. nobody is able to discuss any of his authentications with him. it took eric weeks of effort just to get a message passed on to him via a third party, as if he's in some sort of witness protection program. if i came across a sloppy mears authentication, i could pick up the phone right now and discuss it personally with troy or dave. can i do that with lou? can i call him right now to discuss the st.pats jersey? if so, please share his phone number. i won't hold my breath.

according to one of his employers, mastro, "Mr. Lampson does not want his email address given out". even you have to admit that bushing and troy don't have 1/4 of the cowardice that seems to be lou's trademark. right or wrong, at least troy and dave can be contacted. lou must have a tremendous amount of confidence in his authentications if he intentionally makes himself nearly impossible to contact. it's almost as if he's fully aware he's tossing out bombs because he goes to such great lengths to make sure he's completely safe from the eventual explosions.

- if a mears authentication is proven wrong, they will buy the item back. while they don't always admit all of their errors, the fact is that they actually have bought some items back and admitted some of their mistakes. again, while i'm not a huge fan of mears, this policy seems to be leaps and bounds above anything offered by lou. when lou makes an error, you can't even get a reply or explanation, much less a refund. has lou ever bought an item back? in all my years, i've never even seen him personally issue an apology or admission of error. have you?

in short, i believe that mears has a genuine interest in the hobby (you couldn't produce the amount of research or write the articles that they do if you were just in it for a quick buck). i believe they inherantly have care and concern for the hobby and have a genuine desire to help. i also believe they genuinely want to properly authenticate items and fight fraud. i also realize that, for various reasons, these intentions aren't always realized. the thing is, i can't say any of the same for lampson.
everything i've seen from lampson simply indicates an individual who believes that his ability to pump out as many worthless LOAs as possible is a bottomless goldmine and he's intent on squeezing every penny he can from it while dodging any responsibility, accountability, and due diligence like he's some sort of human Frogger.

rudy.

akatz
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Have you guys ever heard of www.zabasearch.com (http://www.zabasearch.com)? Check it out. I think that you will find the information you're seeking.

allstarsplus
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Does Lou Lampson have a website to check jersey grading criteria like MEARS has? Does Lou have a phone # or email address? Does Lou have a guarantee system? Does Lou have a conflict of interest statement?

I expect all the above answers to be "yes" to be considered at the least competent in just the customer service area of the authentication business not even commenting on his knowledge or expertise. Those to me are at a minimum a must have.

For MEARS, http://www.mearsonline.com/services/jersey.asp you have well written explanations of what the jersey grades and here are their policies: http://www.mearsonline.com/services/policies.asp

If you go to the current Vintage Authentics auction, you get Lampson graded jerseys all over their auction with no concise explanantion of grading systems. How does a Terry Bradshaw get a Lampson 8.5 rating with no provenance? Repairs and signs of wear can be done by a kid that has good sewing skills.

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=80085987&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=80432697

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2660/folder64248/img4504956thmb.jpg

The outer tail contains the Medalist SandKnit size 46 label with stitch remnants visible above for a removed exclusivity label as well as remnants of a year swatch. The game use evidence is consistent and quite solid with a visible minor team repair, light puckering of the numerals, and strong NOB wear. Overall this quality Bradshaw game representation is not to be missed and earns a final high grade of 8.5.

Here is a copy of sweet Lou's LOA: http://pics1.edeal.com/images/p2/wl/vintageauth/docs/bradshaw83gujerslou8-5.jpg (http://pics1.edeal.com/images/p2/wl/vintageauth/docs/bradshaw83gujerslou8-5.jpg)

Here's a Bettis jersey with a 9.5 rating from Lou:

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2660/folder64248/img4504907thmb.jpg

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=80085988&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=80432698

Here is the LOA w/ a 9.5 rating with no provenance:
http://pics1.edeal.com/images/p2/wl/vintageauth/docs/bettis93gujersLou9-5.pdf

sylbry
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
At least with those two LOA's he didn't conclude his findings by saying "Lou Lampson LOA!" like he does on others you see. How tacky is that?

Utopian2630
03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Just a note on the Bradshaw jersey. While the auction listing says it is an 'early 80's Steelers home jersey', the Lampson LOA says that the jersey is a 1983 Steelers home jersey. However, in 1983, the Steelers wore a 50th season patch on the front of the jersey. The LOA mentiones nothing about remnants of a patch being there.

rose14
03-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Lou Lampson will always find work as long as Vintage Authentics, American Memorabilia and Mastros among the others continue to use this guy for their authenticating. These auction houses are the main problem in putting these bad items in the hobby. They have the control over those items but the allmighty dollar clouds their thinking. Mastros is considered the best in the business but I can't explain why they continue to use this guy with all the baggage that Lampson carries. Mistakes are going to be made with anyone but Lampson's go beyond mistakes. His authenticating could be considered criminal as he has signed off on so many bad items. Any auction that comes up now I look at two things. The title and the authenticator. If it comes with just a Lou Lampson COA I stop and move one. Sure he may have authenticated alot of legitimate items but as of lately more often than not that does not seem to be the case.

There used to be a time that if Mastros had something I was interested in I would have never questioned the authenticity of it but now I wouldn't trust a single thing that they auction without doing extensive legwork myself.

hblakewolf
03-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Just a note on the Bradshaw jersey. While the auction listing says it is an 'early 80's Steelers home jersey', the Lampson LOA says that the jersey is a 1983 Steelers home jersey. However, in 1983, the Steelers wore a 50th season patch on the front of the jersey. The LOA mentiones nothing about remnants of a patch being there.

If it was possible to ask Lampson about this, one can only guess what his repsonse would be:

1. "Bradshaw did not like the look of the patch, and the team never affixed it to his jersey"

2. "It was common for quarterbacks to remove the patch, as they viewed them as distractions"

3. "The equipment manager was told to cut-back on the post game spread, and as such, could not afford to add the patch to every jersey"

4. "It is common practice for jerseys to be used in following-seasons, and this is the case with this particular jersey"

5. "The patch was most likely ripped from the jersey during play, and the stitch holes have amazingly closed over the last 14 years".

Did I miss anything?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

allstarsplus
03-08-2007, 11:20 AM
If it was possible to ask Lampson about this, one can only guess what his repsonse would be:

1. "Bradshaw did not like the look of the patch, and the team never affixed it to his jersey"

2. "It was common for quarterbacks to remove the patch, as they viewed them as distractions"

3. "The equipment manager was told to cut-back on the post game spread, and as such, could not afford to add the patch to every jersey"

4. "It is common practice for jerseys to be used in following-seasons, and this is the case with this particular jersey"

5. "The patch was most likely ripped from the jersey during play, and the stitch holes have amazingly closed over the last 14 years".

Did I miss anything?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net
Howard & Utopian2630 - He gave that jersey an 8.5 Rating based on use and a repair? We all know that a kid that took a home economics course in 8th grade could figure out how to dummy that up.

My guess is MEARS would rate it an A5 since it lacks provenance and the questionable patch (per Utopian2630 research). Can anyone find any photo evidence?

The amazing thing to me is the prices that buyers are bidding on these items. These aren't the eBay $1,000 specials---these are going for over $5,000 with Buyer's premiums.

Take the criteria listed on the Bettis jersey which he gave a 9.5 Score. Perfect score 4 points for Jersey Characteristics/Identifiers. Perfect score 2 points for Aesthetics/Customizations. Perfect score 2 points for Range of Wear. The last criteria in the 10 point scoring system is for Provenance/Rarity and he gives a 1.5 out of 2. There is NO mention of Provenance. How does he define Rarity? It mentions fabulous game wear. Can't see it in the pictures.

The tagging looks crisp to me. I just don't get it. Fabulous wear? He played in all 16 games in 1993 so this jersey I would think was used for more than 1 game. He also averaged with carries/passes almost 20 touches per game.

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2660/folder64248/img4504904med.jpg
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2660/folder64248/img4504906.jpg
http://pics1.edeal.com/images/p2/wl/vintageauth/docs/bettis93gujersLou9-5.pdf

Andrew

hblakewolf
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Andrew-
You're questioning the wear, or lack of? I'm extremely surprised that the LOA does not include the usual line that Lampson uses: "Shows typical running back use". I've seen him use this type of insane description on his other LOA's as follows: "Shows typical pitcher's use" "Shows light, but definate pitchers use".

Personally, when I've purchased an entire teams jerseys (i.e., Phillies), there really is not any difference when comparing a right fielders jersey to that of an infielder. Likewise, would the managers jersey show as much use as the first base coach? According to Lampson's LOA's, every type of position results in different wear patterns. I hate to let Lou in on a little secret-when a baseball game ends, the team washes all of the jerseys in the same machine, with the same soap. Unless a player is diving head first into the grass/dirt every game, what type of wear would you expect to see on a pitchers jersey as opposed to a manager or other position player?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Utopian2630
03-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I've attached a picture of Franco Harris featuring the 50th patch I mentioned earlier. I was mistaken in saying that the 50th Season patch was worn in 1983, as it was actually worn in 1982, all apologies for the incorrect information. Nonetheless, I've attached two photos of Bradshaw, one from 1981 and one from 1980. The sleeve length in the attached pictures look a bit longer in th than the sleeves in the jersey from VA. Also interesting to note is that Bradshaw played only in ONE game in 1983 (one quarter for that matter) so extensive use on a Bradshaw jersey from 1983 doesn't seem likely.

lund6771
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
There is no question that it's all about $....in the late 80's there were a lot of nice pieces floating around...Collecting really was fun!!!...when people found out that this stuff was worth $, some really nice pieces were coming out of the attic for sale...nowadays the same dealers keep selling the same garbage...all the nice stuff has virtually dried up...gone in collections...these dealers have no other way to make a living so they keep selling the same trash ...there's gotta be more Kobe jerseys out there than DAYS he's been alive!!!...

Lampson has a target on him bigger than the State of Texas...we will continue to bitch about him, but I'm telling ya, the idiot will be going down...they always do...it's never a question of if, but when!!!

bigtime59
03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
So, if I sent Lou! a photo! of this! jersey! do you think he'd authenticate! it?
(BTW, this jersey doesn't actually exist. It's a photo of a bobo'ed Albert Belle jersey that I photoshopped into a Ripken St Pats!)

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

both-teams-played-hard
03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
It's a photo of a bobo'ed Albert Belle jersey that I photoshopped into a Ripken St Pats!

Good job, Mark. However, an Authentic St. Pat's Day Orioles shirt must have this sleeve patch...
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/7550/luckycharmspatchllsh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

CollectGU
03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I've attached a picture of Franco Harris featuring the 50th patch I mentioned earlier. I was mistaken in saying that the 50th Season patch was worn in 1983, as it was actually worn in 1982, all apologies for the incorrect information. Nonetheless, I've attached two photos of Bradshaw, one from 1981 and one from 1980. The sleeve length in the attached pictures look a bit longer in th than the sleeves in the jersey from VA. Also interesting to note is that Bradshaw played only in ONE game in 1983 (one quarter for that matter) so extensive use on a Bradshaw jersey from 1983 doesn't seem likely.

Now this is one of the problems. You' basically have people ripping on a jersey unfairly because you jumped the gun and posted incorrect info. I have no problem ripping into authenticators when they get it wrong, but make sure you have the proper info., or you are just basically doing the same thing we complain about...

Dave

ripkengamers
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
No need for Photoshop Mark...........here's the REAL Ripken St. Patty jersey with Lampson's exhaustive authenticity!

both-teams-played-hard
03-08-2007, 09:16 PM
...I have seen first hand this style of St. Pats Day jerseys in storage at their Florida facilities...

Dan, I truly hope you get your money back. Your jersey (with the help of this forum) has reached cult-like status and a monetary value of it's own.
The LOA is filled with priceless quotes! No matter what, its a heckuva conversation piece and the poster child for the "Down-With-Lampson-Society".

Sangy 35
03-09-2007, 04:39 PM

You are correct about Bradshaw only playing in one game in 1983. What makes this jersey even more hilarious is this, the game was played in New York, against the Jets, and the Steelers were in their road whites that day. I'll try to find a link to a pic and throw it up.

otismalibu
03-09-2007, 04:55 PM
You are correct about Bradshaw only playing in one game in 1983. What makes this jersey even more hilarious is this, the game was played in New York, against the Jets, and the Steelers were in their road whites that day. I'll try to find a link to a pic and throw it up.

I believe the date of that game was Dec. 10, 1983. It was Bradshaw's last game with the Steelers. I don't think he even finished that game. Was that the laast Jets game at Shea stadium. I remember people taking stuff out of the stadium.