PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Oakland A's Question/help

hblakewolf
03-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Hello Forum Readers-
I need to locate a 1997 Oakland A's common player or any player's jersey (prefer one with a team LOA). I have some questions about how the jersey is manufactured in 1997 including the nameplate, stitching and related. If you have such a jersey and will alllow me to speak with you, please email me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

hiramman
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Howard,

I have 1997 Oakland A's Tim Birtsas Home jersey that I've had in my collection since the mid-80's. Don't have a letter from the team, but I'm sure it's good. (Who'd want to fake a Tim Birtsas?) Anyway, let me know if I can help out with any questions you might have.

Jimmie
hiramman@bellsouth.net

athletics61
03-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Howard, I have a white Izzy Molina, green Ariel Prieto, and a gray Mike Mohler. All have the team letter from their fanfest sale in 1998. If you still seek information, please email me.

Don
dthedos@columbus.rr.com

hiramman
03-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Howard,

My bad. I mis-read your post. My Birtsas jersey is from 1987.

Sorry,

Jimmie

hblakewolf
03-05-2007, 08:56 AM
A huge THANKS to those who have posted here and also to my email address.

I have been offered several 1990's Russell brand McGwire A's jerseys over the last few weeks, and had my doubts about every one of them. My concern? The way the shirts have been manufactured. All have the same problems with the actual name on back.

I was confident that my memory was correct about the way Russell made their A's shirts, and thanks to those of you who responded to me with examples of commons and star A's jerseys in your collections, my concern is legit and I have since passed on purchasing any of them.

Once again, the Form proves to be AMAZING!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
howard,

i'm assuming you're referring to the nameplate stitching?

if so, in your experience was the stitching style really consistant enough to be used as a rule of thumb?

i know i'd prefer the stitching style to be consistant but i wonder if that's realistic or accurate? i honestly don't know. i don't know if the manufacturer's themselves are consistant in affixing nameplates and/or if the stitching can be expected to be consistant if a team outsources part of it's jersey production to a local shop. again, i honestly don't know.
are you saying that manufacturers are consistant and that local shops adhere to team-specific stitching styles?

rudy.

hblakewolf
03-06-2007, 08:45 AM
howard,

i'm assuming you're referring to the nameplate stitching?

if so, in your experience was the stitching style really consistant enough to be used as a rule of thumb?

i know i'd prefer the stitching style to be consistant but i wonder if that's realistic or accurate? i honestly don't know. i don't know if the manufacturer's themselves are consistant in affixing nameplates and/or if the stitching can be expected to be consistant if a team outsources part of it's jersey production to a local shop. again, i honestly don't know.
are you saying that manufacturers are consistant and that local shops adhere to team-specific stitching styles?

rudy.

Rudy-
I have no idea if the jerseys come directly from Russell with the names on back or if they are made at a local shop. A previous post indicated that they are made at a local shop. I don't know and frankly, that's not my point of posting.

I've been offered quite a few A's McGwire jerseys, all manufactured by Russell and all have minimal wear. Likewise, all have the same construction on the nameplate. When comparing these McGwires to other A's jerseys from the same years, the McGwire's have a different style of plate construction. In conclusion, I'm not comfortable with this difference that is ONLY found on the McGwire's. Why have I not seen this on any of the other A's jerseys worn by the pitchers or position players?

My thought? Someone has either taken blank A's shirts or doctored A's shirts into McGwires and did not knw how to correctly make the plates.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
howard,

have you seen the 2 1997 mcgwires in the "for sale" section of mearsonline?

thoughts?

rudy.

hblakewolf
03-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Rudy-
Indeed, saw them. I'm waiting to gather some additional info on them. At this time, the jury is out.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net