PDA

View Full Version : Let's Make GUU Great Again

Preston
07-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Hey guys and girls,

Over the last year I noticed what went from steady activity to several posts a week.

Did I miss something? This has been an incredible asset to the GU community and we've all made friends, learned a lot and had fun talking sports and sports memorabilia.

memorabiliaunlimited
07-23-2018, 09:37 AM
the format change seemed to have killed it along with the inability to post photos in the threads. used to get my morning started by looking through the monthly pickup threads. now i dont think there has been one even created for the last few months.

KGoldin
07-23-2018, 04:51 PM
The old serving company screwed us, they forced an update which wiped it out . That’s why we moved servers
if you can post a list of issues that exist or email Doug Reiser. Dougiedshow@aol.com
we can have ie meeting with new software and server people and try to get all resolved at once

ndevlin
07-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Aside from the comments already mentioned(website not being super user friendly), I believe ppl are steadily moving to other formats, such as Facebook, to post and display/sell items. It’s literally take a pic and go.

What this site needs is an app.

sqzplay6
07-23-2018, 07:42 PM
I would love to see an app. The picture posting is awful. I’ve added some bats recently and want to contribute but it’s too much of a headache to even post pics. Also, the Expert’s Corner had a few really good posts but nothing new in two years.

Samets
07-24-2018, 06:17 AM
There's an app you can use... It's called Tapatalk. It only requires a small plug in on the forum side.

BirdsOnBat
07-24-2018, 06:45 AM
I don't really sell many (if any) items but possibly some migration to FB groups might align with them not having the $$$ restriction on asking price.

TwinLakesPark
07-24-2018, 08:30 AM
I would suspect the numbers show a gradual decline year over year since 2013, whereas the past 2 years have exponentially declined. I think the death blow was the migration to the new site and flushing of passwords. The process to re-register and set a new password did not work, which made the re-registration even worse. I somewhat live by the motto that 'change is good', but many will take the path of least resistance.

My suggestions would be to start going through the database one-by-one and calling them with password assistance, ESPECIALLY Brian Hillerich who provided some of the most valuable data known to bat collectors.

I also felt that the negativity was rising and somewhat depressing to look at posts because it only focused on the negative. I am tired of the negative and would love to see more positive posts. For example, look at the Auction Item threads, it is all about what is fake and bad, but what about the great stuff? When people did post about great stuff, they would be accused of pumping their own auction items, SMH.

Addition and involvement of "other auction house" persona, such as Dave Grobb and Troy Kinunen, etc. Please don't take this comment the wrong way, but for the past several years this site has become a "Goldin Auctions Posse", and involving other counterparts in the business would be great for all of us. Again, not a dig against you Ken, you have been great to this hobby but your purchase of GUU removed some of the independence.

Allowing Wiki threads. I emailed Chris about this a few times over the years and never received a response on this one. Wiki threads allow the thread owner to continue to edit the first post, which allows for a well organized thread where information is updated in user posted threads over time. An example of where this could be applicable is in a thread for MLB Team Game Used Contacts. Scoreboard Jerseys would be another great one. I would love to work with you on a pilot of one thread to demonstrate the value of organizing and aggregating data in a wiki thread.

I share the same desire to make this site great again and I think it can be done.

Wes

ndevlin
07-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Does it make it easier to post photos? I think thats the main issue right now. The accessibility to take and post photos and not worry about size.

RoyalsCollector
07-25-2018, 11:24 PM
I think one of the problems with the decline has been that it’s sooo hard to get registered and then approved to post on the forums. It took me 5-6 months to get access back. Granted it was only a handful of times. I would request access, get to read posts for about a week then I’d receive an email saying My account was removed and I did not meet membership requirements. This happened each time.

I finally found it IT email address, sent a note to them and was finally granted access to post. It also contained a not saying my requst was lot in all the spam accounts that must get auto declined after a week.

Others may be having the same issues and are not as persistent as I was. It really should be easier to be able to get access and to post instead of taking multiple attempts over weeks or months.

KGoldin
07-26-2018, 06:31 AM
I am going to be flying Doug Reiser, thr admin to NJ to meet with the IT company handling this and get all of these issues addressed and fixed at once,
we will send an email out when completed wit update

tom1315
07-27-2018, 06:27 AM
I've been a member since 2008 - used to look at the site every day and then purchasing habits changed - slowed down and then began communicating with fellow collectors that have the same passion for items I collect that they do too. Everyone I have met that collects football helmets as I do primarily, except one person, I met through GUU and I've learned so much through others sharing on here. I agree with Preston...we all need to get more involved and post like we used to subject to some of the issues above being corrected or simplified by GUU admin.

Tom

KGoldin
07-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Very encouraged by this,
we will get site issues fixed and add new features and be sure to email everyone when started and when completed

1929tudor
07-27-2018, 07:42 PM
This used to be a good site when Chris Cavalier had it before he went to Goldin auctions. I bought many game-used bats on here and it was fun to be on all the time then after Chris left the whole website just seem to be about Goldin auctions and promoting his auctions. I think it turned a lot of people off. Another factor was used to be every time you'd have to get into the collector to collector section you had to sign in and that was a hassle. It's really gone downhill over the past few years hopefully it'll change and more people will get on. I'd like to buy some more game-used bats like it was before.

yankees159
08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
This used to be a good site when Chris Cavalier had it before he went to Goldin auctions. I bought many game-used bats on here and it was fun to be on all the time then after Chris left the whole website just seem to be about Goldin auctions and promoting his auctions. I think it turned a lot of people off. Another factor was used to be every time you'd have to get into the collector to collector section you had to sign in and that was a hassle. It's really gone downhill over the past few years hopefully it'll change and more people will get on. I'd like to buy some more game-used bats like it was before. I agree GUU has seen better days. Hopefully it will come back to what it once was. Besides Dave M, it seems no one really shares knowledge to prevent people from getting ripped off. I just found out Chris Cavalier left Goldin Auctions for Heritage Auctions. Maybe his departure as something to do with the site decline? Does Chris still own GUU?

metsbats
09-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Aside from the comments already mentioned(website not being super user friendly), I believe ppl are steadily moving to other formats, such as Facebook, to post and display/sell items. It’s literally take a pic and go.

What this site needs is an app.

Nate I agree. Social media is much easier to use and more interactive and a lot of our members are on the Facebook sites more these days. Chris spoke about a Facebook GUU site years ago so perhaps it may be a direction to consider.

Its encouraging to to see this thread and a lot of you who wish to see GUU return to its former glory and I hope we can do it!

David

RoyalsCollector
09-06-2018, 10:04 PM
I would love to see GUU return to its former glory. However I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it will have absolutely nothing to do with Facebook. I don’t Facebook, I never have Facebooked, and I never will Facebook. Not for any reason whatsoever including for GUU. I would very much miss GUU but no force in the universe could compel me to do anything on Facebook.

sportsnbikes
09-20-2018, 06:06 AM
Most of the people I have seen that are still active here are also over on the MLB Game Used Facebook Group. While there are some advantages to the FB group over GUU site (i.e. the ease of picture posting) there are also some advantages GUU has over the FB group (i.e. easier navigation to look at random classified posts). I had suggested an app for GUU site a few years ago but it was not accepted very well. For websites, you have to adapt to an app or you'll get left behind. Many of us use a handheld device or a tablet. Going into the future generations, most will have a device. An app will be required. At the very least you need a mobile version.

I don't mind at all that Ken owns or runs this site or whatever. It's not overbearing with Goldin posts whatsoever to me. I have the ability to click or not click on something. It's not shoved down our throats. It's not like some of the sites you see where you click on something then have to sit through an ad before you can go to the page.

sportsnbikes
09-20-2018, 06:07 AM
You may have to get a FB dude.

gorilla777
10-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Anything new with this? I have had trouble logging in, trouble posting and was not able to post photos either...

Triple92459
10-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Anything new with this? I have had trouble logging in, trouble posting and was not able to post photos either...

Yes I wish this site would return to the way it was. Will we ever see it like that again?

-Walt

Triple92459

1929tudor
10-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Yea this site is outdated and boring anymore. It needs to be taken over by someone who has the time and cares to get it back to where it was or update it so it's better. Even the advertising, let others companies and auction houses advertise instead of Goldins ads and auction as the only one. Go to net54 and see how popular that is over there.Wake up GUU.

KGoldin
10-08-2018, 06:33 PM
We care and will get the server functioning properly

sportscrazy13
10-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Anything new with this? I have had trouble logging in, trouble posting and was not able to post photos either...gorila

gorilla I do miss seeing your museum quality stuff

dougiedshow
10-26-2018, 12:03 PM
As an administrator for guu, I understand everyone’s concerns about the future of the forum. It’s an amazing community and a great resource. With nearly 13 years of posts and information, the forum has also become a living encyclopedia for hobby reasearch.
The last year has been very challenging from a technology standpoint. This has nothing to do with the change in ownership. The issue stemmed from the now archaic programming and platform originally used for the site. That platform became obsolete and we risked losing all historical data. In an effort to salvage the current data and format, we switched platforms. Obviously we are going through some continued technical challenges, all of which we hope to resolve soon.
In the end, we want to accomplish 2 things. 1) retain the history and invaluable research data of the last 13 years. And 2) develop a user friendly format (or multiple platforms) that will be relevant for the next decade. Ken Goldin has put me in touch with his technical support team and, as a hobbyist myself, I am trying to relay all of the concerns. I am also planning a trip to NJ to meet with Ken and his team to discuss our options.
Speaking of Ken, he takes a lot of blame on the forum and it’s really misguided. If anyone recalls, the site was inactive in 2013, crashed and was unattended. No new users were able to register, and no one could
Post.
Ken stepped in and purchased ownership in the site, saving it at the time. Believe it or not, due to the robust size of the database and the format that was being used, the forum is not inexpensive to keep online. There are not only monthly server fees, but also a tech team gets a high hourly rate to be on call and handle all issues. A free forum, surviving to this point, has only been made possible by Ken. Frankly, biting the only hand that feeds us, isn’t going to help.
Not to mention the fact that Ken runs an awesome contest for all of us and frankly asks for very little advertising in return. One banner ad at the top of the page is not crippling the site, in my opinion. I still greatly enjoy the ability to interact my friends and fellow collectors, while researching over a decade of data. I also do not think the fact that blowout cards owns blow out forums stops activity or people from posting there, for example. Ken, as an owner, posts very little intrusive content, in my opinion.
Does the site need repaired? Absolutely. Do we need up to date functionality? Absolutely. Unfortunately, it’s a free site, which does not generate revenue needed to quickly resolve these issues. We have some financial resources available to address the issues, due to Ken’s original investment and continued contributions. My hope is that those resources will allow us to accomplish the 2 goals stated above.
If you have suggestions or feel you can assist in any way, please email me directly. Dougiedshow@aol.com Thank you!

Doug Reiser

jojac
10-26-2018, 04:37 PM
You have people who've shared there suggestions and their opinions on certain aspects of this site and unfortunately you guys take it as "Biting the hand that feeds us" when that's totally not the intent. In turn those posts are deleted when they should remain open for discussion.
I hope I'm wrong but in my opinion so many of the members here have found alternate options and this site has gone so far south that I'm not sure it will ever recover.
I wish you the best and I hope you guys do "make it great again".

Jason
10-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Believe it or not, due to the robust size of the database and the format that was being used, the forum is not inexpensive to keep online. There are not only monthly server fees, but also a tech team gets a high hourly rate to be on call and handle all issues.

There are some really great hosts that offer very affordable cost for high traffic sites. I myself host 15+ domains a couple of them being smaller forums and at one time, a forum larger than this one. I pay $9.99/month for unlimited bandwidth/MySQL disk usage and total disk usage. If you're paying much more than that, it's time to look for a new host.