PDA

View Full Version : Tips for 1st time GU purchase

duggie85
12-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Considering picking up a game used bat on eBay, which would be my first GU item.

Any tips to look for or consider before purchasing? The few I am considering are not authenticated. Any help would be appreciated!

magikbum
12-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Is it a modern player/item?

Photo matching it to a game or being able to check it would be best.

If it is an autograph (on a photo, ball etc) I would not bother with it unless it is MLB authenticated.

Feel free to share any images or links to the items and I would be happy to help find images of it being used.

jojac
12-15-2017, 04:15 PM
I would suggest not buying anything without a definitive photo match or solid authentification. Without one of those things you will always have questions about the item in the back of your mind and you will never enjoy it the way you should......Just my opinion.

duggie85
12-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Is it a modern player/item?

Photo matching it to a game or being able to check it would be best.

If it is an autograph (on a photo, ball etc) I would not bother with it unless it is MLB authenticated.

Feel free to share any images or links to the items and I would be happy to help find images of it being used.

Appreciate the feedback. It's a Starlin Castro bat, which the seller has quite a few listed. This one has an autograph, but a few of the others he has listed do not.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2011-STARLIN-CASTRO-AUTOGRAPHED-CHICAGO-CUBS-LOUISVILLE-SLUGGER-S318-USED-BAT/312018339311?hash=item48a5be05ef:g:FjoAAOSwsBtaJtE y

duggie85
12-15-2017, 05:29 PM
I would suggest not buying anything without a definitive photo match or solid authentification. Without one of those things you will always have questions about the item in the back of your mind and you will never enjoy it the way you should......Just my opinion.

Thanks for the response.

That's what I am leaning towards (solid authentication) being I wouldn't even know where to start to find pictures from 2011. I've only collected autographs up to this point and if I don't get it in person, I only buy items that have in-person certs. But apparently this seller owns a store in Chicago and seems to be legit. Curious if others have dealt with him in the past.

TBM
12-15-2017, 05:37 PM
you can post pictures on here. There are helpful individuals that help to photomatch items. Otherwise, Getty Images is a good place to start with pictures for photomatches.

TigersCubs84
12-15-2017, 08:33 PM
I've purchased from this seller and been happy. You need to check on the players use characteristics on the bat, where is tar, is the tape the right length, etc. Get the mfg. date and see if you can find photos near that mfg. date of the player using it. Watch the player and see what models they use the most. With Castro, it's usually LS or Marucci. The seller has rights to many Cubs players for gamers.

duggie85
12-15-2017, 08:55 PM
you can post pictures on here. There are helpful individuals that help to photomatch items. Otherwise, Getty Images is a good place to start with pictures for photomatches.

Keeps saying file too large when uploading pictures.

Thanks for the pointer towards Getty.

duggie85
12-15-2017, 09:01 PM
I've purchased from this seller and been happy. You need to check on the players use characteristics on the bat, where is tar, is the tape the right length, etc. Get the mfg. date and see if you can find photos near that mfg. date of the player using it. Watch the player and see what models they use the most. With Castro, it's usually LS or Marucci. The seller has rights to many Cubs players for gamers.

Thanks for tips. I did look at quit a few pictures and mlb authenticated bats and they all seem to have similar characteristics (tape, tar, etc) as this sellers. Good to hear a "referal."

The knob says 7/6/11 so will search Getty for pics around that timeframe.

sox83cubs84
12-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Make this an additional endorsement of bergiesports. I've dealt with Bergie for decades...he is awesome and cares about what he offers and how it's represented. He also has had Cubs connection for several years.

Dave Miedema

Wrigley2010
12-16-2017, 04:00 AM
Bergiesports is a solid source for MLB game used especially Castro items. They have had him in the store for signings on multiple occasions and have sold a lot of his game used items. I've also purchased 3 game used jerseys from them in the past one without any authentication and I was able to photo match it.

JimCaravello
12-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Tips!! Don't do it! You will get that first bat - and then want another - and then another - before you know it you'll have 100 bats in the house and your family will think you have lost your mind! You will have crossed over to the dark side......thinking about game used bats every minute of the day....the addiction is worse than any narcotic - 100 times worse than coffee!!!!

:-)

Good luck with your first item!