PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson on E-Bay

kcrhino
02-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Since the KC Royals experts have been on the board lately, can you offer anything on this Bo Jackson on E-Bay? Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130079954414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

dafivehole
02-18-2007, 11:40 AM
It is my understanding that the lettering on the back should be the block style (in an arch)... they weren't supposed to start using the arched style lettering until a couple of years later... that's what I've read:confused:

Roger

stlbats
02-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Not sure about the authenticity, but that has to be one of the ugliest uniforms MLB has ever allowed on the field. :)

Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

kingjammy24
02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
henderson's guide says block-type 83-89, vertical arch 90-91. i'm not sure if that's correct though. i suspect they may have had vertical arch lettering prior to 1990. the block lettering that's seen on so many royals jerseys from this time period are simply incorrect restorations. that is, i think many people see a block-lettered royals jersey from say 1988, and assume it's the correct style. in-action pictures would confirm (or deny) this theory.

anyway, as for the ebay bo jackson; it has vertical arch lettering. the royals jerseys i've seen with vertical arch lettering were done really nicely. the angles and the cuts were perfect. this one looks a little sloppy to me. if the nob/arch was a better job, i'd probably feel better about the jersey.

lelands once auctioned off a 1988 jackson. (shown below). it was a size 48 and was tapered. ami also auctioned off a 1988 jackson (also a size 48). the nob on that was different than the one on the lelands jackson but identical to the one on this ebay jersey. in terms of gauging the potential authenticity, i feel more comfortable with the nob on the lelands jackson. compare the "A" on all 3 jerseys. as well, the lelands jersey seems to use a thicker font. the lettering on the ami and ebay jacksons is thinner. note though that on all 3 1988 jerseys shown below, the nob is vertical arch, not block lettering.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/1205/boim2.jpg

rudy.

kcrhino
02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I appreciate your research and feedback. Lettering issues aside, wouldn't it be a greater concern that the sizing is different from previous jerseys auctioned?

kingjammy24
02-18-2007, 08:28 PM
"greater" concern? i don't think so at all. i think the lettering is a far bigger concern than the difference from a 46-48. the lettering is far less plausible than a player wearing +/- 1 size. bo may have worn 48's during cold games in order to wear a thicker, longsleeve shirt underneath and 46's during hot games. i think a player wearing a 46 AND a 48 during the same season is extremely plausible. manny lee wore size 42 road jerseys and size 40 home jerseys in the same season. no clue why but thats what he did and the sizes are close enough that it's not unrealistic.

regarding the sizing, i think the first step would be to determine what size bo actually wore in 1988. to be honest, i think 48 might be a little big. in 1988, bo was wearing his jerseys very tight. check out pics of him in 1988; his jerseys were almost painted on. he was 6'1, 225lbs. canseco on the other hand was 6'4, 240lbs and he was wearing 46's during the late 80s. i can see bo wearing a 44 or 46. i'm not sure about a 48. however, wearing +/- 1 size during a single season is entirely plausible.

rudy.