PDA

View Full Version : Rarest...most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie bat!?!

DTM5
08-26-2017, 11:00 AM
I recently acquired what I believe to be the rarest, most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. rookie bat in exsistance? As far as I know, this is new to the hobby as well.

The bat has been certified by PSA/DNA GU9. I have photomatched the bat to two rookie cards (mother's cookies) along with several postcards all taken by famous sports photographer Barry Colla.

GoCrazyFolks76
08-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Those grain patterns look like a match.

Have you tried to match up the tape pattern?

joecoco
08-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Awesome bat! I remember having those cards as a kid. It is wonderful to see the actual bat. Got to love photomatching!

JDF5244
08-28-2017, 08:02 AM
That's a beautiful bat....and, I remember the cards! Seeing that card brings back memories of me throwing bag upon bag of Mother's Cookies into my mom's grocery cart, mainly because I wanted the cards (and the cookies weren't bad either)! Those were the days......

hurricaneditka66
08-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Great bat!

I am curious, did Griffey ever use a Cooper bat in his MLB career? I know his first homerun was with his classic black LS bat.

He used light colored bats (Cooper?) in the minors and in batting practice during his rookie season, but I've never seen actual game use of the lighter bats. I could EASILY be wrong, just an observation.

Also, would be cool if this was the bat he used during photo shoot for his 1989 Upper Deck RC card.... hard to tell from pics, though.

BoneRubbedBat
08-28-2017, 08:52 PM
All of the Ken Griffey Jr. bats that I have seen from that era have the "Jr" after his name. Ken Griffey Sr. Cooper bats just have "Ken Griffey." He probably took some of his dad's bats for the photo ops.

DTM5
08-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Ken Griffey Jr.'s earliest bats did not have "Jr" on them as the COA below explains, and yes he used this style and brand during his rookie year along with black LS and Rawlings's bats. Check out Griffey Jr. 1989 donruss baseballs best #192 rookie card. I have seen quite a few black LS and Rawlings's rookie bats at auction but never a taped cooper with no "Jr." which makes this bat even more rare in my opinion. Junior has a distinct tape application that is different than what Sr. used. which can easily be seen in photos as well. Sr. used a single spiral tape application.

DTM5
08-28-2017, 09:31 PM
For some reason I am unable to download a picture of the COA it is saying too large of file?? Also, Jr.'s cooper bats were a C271 model Sr.'s were not this model number.

KGoldin
08-28-2017, 10:04 PM
In august 1989 his name had JR on the bats..the coopers
https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=22872

So this must be early part of the year. Is there much use? Can you see any ball marks?

seanbaseball
08-28-2017, 10:04 PM
heres griffey using a cooper bat but it does appear to have Jr

DTM5
08-28-2017, 10:10 PM
This would be a great time for John Taube's input since the COA is from PSA/DNA and has his signature on it. Ugh, wish the photo of COA would load I had no problem with other pics?

ctguy212003
08-29-2017, 03:57 AM
I recently acquired what I believe to be the rarest, most photomatched Ken Griffey Jr. rookie bat in exsistance? As far as I know, this is new to the hobby as well.

The bat has been certified by PSA/DNA GU9. I have photomatched the bat to two rookie cards (mother's cookies) along with several postcards all taken by famous sports photographer Barry Colla.

Is it for sale?

GoCrazyFolks76
08-29-2017, 08:41 AM
Does anybody know if senior used that same tape pattern?

DTM5
08-29-2017, 08:48 AM
In august 1989 his name had JR on the bats..the coopers
https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=22872

So this must be early part of the year. Is there much use? Can you see any ball marks?

Ken,

To answer your question the PSA/DNA COA (GU9) states "Cooper model C271 Ken Griffey Jr. professional model bat shows evidence of excellent use with handle crack. Several ball marks and ball stitch impressions are visible on the right barrel. Ball marks include blue ink transfers. Cleat marks are visible on right and left barrel......"

I also failed to mention that there is a "24" written on the top barrel in fading marker that is documented in the COA as well, that would also point in the direction of Jr. using the bat.

staindsox
08-29-2017, 09:26 AM
This has been an issue for authentication in the past. Taube authenticated this as being used by Junior when it was used by Senior. The #22 was the tip off. Paragon changed it because I asked about it...

http://paragonauctionsite.com/1988_Ken_Griffey_Sr__Game_Used_Bat-LOT7793.aspx

DTM5
08-29-2017, 09:50 AM
I would like to point out that Sr. cooper bats were model (S216), Jr. used model (C271). With the criss-cross tape job, 24 written on top barrel, and C271 model, I believe the evidence to be pretty clear that this is in fact a Ken Griffey Jr. game used bat!

bgakladd
08-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Look at Griffey Jr.'s 1988 Vermont Mariners ProCard issued in 1988. It shows a similar Cooper bat but not the same one being discussed and it appears to have the same Ken Griffey signature with no Jr. behind it. And looks to be C271 model.

bgakladd
08-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Could your bat be from when he was in the minor leagues?

DTM5
08-29-2017, 04:23 PM
When one looks at the photomatches I have provided of Griffey Jr. holding the bat in Seattle Mariners uniform "major leagues" and COA states year 1989 for ordering records that is more proof this is not a minor league bat. I wish I knew the date of the photo shoot for the mothers 1989 cards? I have tried finding contact info. For Barry Colla the photographer to see if he has records/date. If anyone has his contact info. Please let me know.

DTM5
08-29-2017, 04:29 PM
When one looks at the photomatches I have provided of Griffey Jr. holding the bat in Seattle Mariners uniform "major leagues" and COA states year 1989 for ordering records that is more proof this is not a minor league bat. I wish I knew the date of the photo shoot for the mothers 1989 cards? I have tried finding contact info. For Barry Colla the photographer to see if he has records/date. If anyone has his contact info. Please let me know.

bgakladd
08-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Ok, no problem. Just wanted to show that Griffey Jr. had Cooper C271 bats with no Jr. behind the name, IF I was seeing correctly.

DTM5
08-29-2017, 05:30 PM

earlywynnfan
08-29-2017, 08:04 PM
Since when does anybody have ordering records for Cooper bats?

DTM5
08-29-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm done "defending" this bat the photomatches speak for themselves!!! I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a find of a century for me considering I only collect Jr. items and this is only the third GU bat I own. I wish everyone their find of the century. Good luck and happy collecting.

joecoco
08-29-2017, 08:37 PM
Congrats on your find of the century. Mine was 1986 Larry Bird Finals shoes. It's pretty incredible when it happens.

seanbaseball
08-29-2017, 08:40 PM
I'm done "defending" this bat the photomatches speak for themselves!!! I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a find of a century for me considering I only collect Jr. items and this is only the third GU bat I own. I wish everyone their find of the century. Good luck and happy collecting.

Its a great bat. Its photomatched to staged photography. Clearly for it to be super valuable/rare you would need to match to game action. Dont be insulted as its how the hobby works. Also does it show any ball marks?

3arod13
08-30-2017, 04:19 AM
Its a great bat. Its photomatched to staged photography. Clearly for it to be super valuable/rare you would need to match to game action. Dont be insulted as its how the hobby works. Also does it show any ball marks?

I think this comment is pretty much right on the mark. You have a bat that Ken Griffey Jr. is holding in a baseball card that looks photo matched to your bat. That in itself is pretty cool! However, it could be a GU or BP bat. One will never know for sure until photo matched to game action (which is difficult to do for that time period as game video is hard to find, and if found, video is not of great quality). If one is looking for other collector’s validation of their item, then one would have to expect to receive many differences of opinion. As previously stated, “Don’t be insulted, as its how the hobby works.” I know from personal experience. Many forget that LOA’s are opinions, not facts, unless also photo matched. Many items that have been authenticated by top authenticator’s in the hobby, and even the players themselves, have later been proven not be authentic as game used. Bottom line, if you’re comfortable with the bat, then that’s what should be important to you. It's a great find and pretty cool bat!

DTM5
08-30-2017, 07:05 AM
Thank you again for feedback. I guess I am confused by the fact that many GU bats are sold privately and at auction without photomatching at all and solely by the COA stating it is GU and collectors accept that???? Very contradicting of the hobby if you ask me. Either way I don't think there are many, if any collectors that can say they have a bat photomatched to two rookie cards, card sets, and postcards by a famous sports photographer. Many of you probably own or have owned these items and might be in your drawer as we speak. The fact that anyone can look up these rookie cards and postcards online, in a card shop, and and see my bat his pretty remarkable!

3arod13
08-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Thank you again for feedback. I guess I am confused by the fact that many GU bats are sold privately and at auction without photomatching at all and solely by the COA stating it is GU and collectors accept that???? Very contradicting of the hobby if you ask me.

Yes, this hobby can be frustrating and confusing at times. Because so many items have been later found not to be authentic, LOA or no LOA, collectors are more cautious today and do their own homework. Again, cool bat!

BirdsOnBat
08-30-2017, 07:58 AM
As previously stated, “Don’t be insulted, as its how the hobby works.” I know from personal experience. Many forget that LOA’s are opinions, not facts, unless also photo matched. Many items that have been authenticated by top authenticator’s in the hobby, and even the players themselves, have later been proven not be authentic as game used. Bottom line, if you’re comfortable with the bat, then that’s what should be important to you. It's a great find and pretty cool bat!

Good post and I've bolded what I think is the most important part. I liken some of this to doing your own home/car/etc repairs. Some folks enjoy that process, other prefer to have someone else do it that has perceived expertise in a given area. I'm terrible at home repair and do not enjoy it at all, but I did spend a few days last week pinpointing a shipment order date for a $250 bat. :)

In the end, what matters most is that you, the owner are happy with the item. Whether that means through your own varied level of research, having a service provide their packet of evidence or having someone on a message board say they think it's fine on an 8x10 piece of paper. Everyone is different, as long as you are happy, that should be the goal.

DTM5
08-30-2017, 08:04 AM
So playing devils advocate of what I'm hearing from responses... GU items are no longer game used unless photomatched to gameplay? So now all PSA/DNA and Beckett COA, mears COA etc, are obsolete unless accompanied by a photomatch? So should we in the hobby go as far to say an item is not game used unless photomatched? Wow, lots of collectors better start doing their homework and learn how to photomatch and/or I just help raised stock for John Robinson at resolution photomatching!!! Should we go so far and say no one on this site can attempt to sell an item as game used unless there is a photomatch of game play? According to these responses most, if not all your items in your collection are no longer game used until photomatched to game play!!! Make sure no one purchases any upcoming items in any auction unless photomatched to game play, and auction houses should not accept your consignments or be able to sell an item with just a COA stating it's game used.

3arod13
08-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Not correct. There are many items authentic, with or without an LOA. Nobody is telling you that your bat isn’t authentic. Remember, these are opinions (things to think about and consider). Even when I looked at the cards of Griffey Jr. holding the bat, there are no fans in the stands. So I thought maybe a setup photo shoot or done much earlier before a game. It could be a GU or BP bat, who really knows. So for me, I would have passed on it (but that's me). As you can see, it could raise questions for many collectors. I posted a bat on GUU years ago, in which it was authenticated by top authenticators in the hobby and the player himself. After many OPINIONS from GUU members (yes, I initially defended my bat and would have continued until my death), but after much research, I found video of the game that showed he didn’t even use the same style bat in the game. Many purchase items, then do research, only to find the item isn’t authentic. Proceed with caution and do your homework is always preached on GUU. It has educated me to the point where I have become a hardcore researcher. Again, if you’re happy with the bat, that’s all that matters!

truvalue123
08-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Let's go off on another tangent..how/where were you able to obtain this awesome bat? It didn't seem to come from one of the major auction houses since it seems new to the market.

swainer
08-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Dude, that is one awesome bat! Take all of the comments with a grain of salt. I don't believe anyone is trying to downplay how great this bat is (and if they are, they are just jealous). I'm extremely happy for you to find this bat! I found a similar grail about 6 months ago. I'm a huge Lance Parrish collector and was contacted out of the blue asking if I had any interest in a Parrish 76 bicentennial bat. I didn't even think one existed!! Since his rookie year was 78 (he had a cup of coffee in Sept. of 77), I didn't even think to look for one. It doesn't appear to have much use if any. But you know what? Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care!!!!! Much like you, I have a bat I never thought I'd own and I'm happy as hell!!!

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

seanbaseball
08-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Its a very cool bat. Im sure it has nice value but less than a regular Griffey rookie bat. As was said the most important thing is that U like it!

truvalue123
08-30-2017, 01:16 PM
Why would it have LESS value than another Griffey rookie bat? They already have a range...Especially with use, preparation, a photo match to Griffey Jr. himself, and, a rock solid Taube letter? Are there ANY Griffey ROOKIE bats with a photo match to game play?
Look at the number of rookie bats on pricerealized.com...very few..none with photo match.

yankees506
08-30-2017, 01:23 PM
I highly doubt griffey would have grabbed a bat that he was not using for a photoshoot. Even if it is his dads bat placing it in his hands during his rookie season/ era is incredible and amazing it has survived the years. I would not care to match it to "game use" its matched period at least imo. Great bat man!

DTM5
08-30-2017, 01:26 PM
So what makes any "regular" Griffey Jr. Rookie bat more valuable than this bat? Last time I've checked, I've only seen Griffey Jr. rookie bats with same COA this bat has, besides the bat Ken Goldin pointed out that had a letter written by a fan attesting to acquiring the bat. Something is only worth what one is willing to pay for an item. Look what Arron Judge stuff is selling for...an absolute joke! This is a one-of-kind bat never seen before and photomatched to more items than any other bat. I've see a handful of black LS rookie bats and rawlings. Those are not as unique in my eyes!!

Oh wait, sorry...I said was done defending the bat!!! Haha

seanbaseball
08-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Why would it have LESS value than another Griffey rookie bat? They already have a range...Especially with use, preparation, a photo match to Griffey Jr. himself, and, a rock solid Taube letter? Are there ANY Griffey ROOKIE bats with a photo match to game play?
Look at the number of rookie bats on pricerealized.com...very few..none with photo match.

is there even a style/ model match to him using this type of bat in a game? without the Jr. if not it has to be worth less than a model that u can put in his hands in a game in his rookie season. as of now this is a photo shoot bat............are there any ball marks?

swainer
08-30-2017, 01:46 PM
is there even a style/ model match to him using this type of bat in a game? without the Jr. if not it has to be worth less than a model that u can put in his hands in a game in his rookie season. as of now this is a photo shoot bat............are there any ball marks?

He's already stated what the PSA letter states "Ken,

To answer your question the PSA/DNA COA (GU9) states "Cooper model C271 Ken Griffey Jr. professional model bat shows evidence of excellent use with handle crack. Several ball marks and ball stitch impressions are visible on the right barrel. Ball marks include blue ink transfers. Cleat marks are visible on right and left barrel......"

I also failed to mention that there is a "24" written on the top barrel in fading marker that is documented in the COA as well, that would also point in the direction of Jr. using the bat."

yankees506
08-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Can't we just let the man be happy with his photomatch? I haven't seen him claim the bat is worth any dollar amount. Are we really going to nitpick game use on the bat? Its an amazing find regardless. This thread is taking a sour feel when we should be congratulating a fellow collector on an really rare find.

DTM5
08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Amen to that Yankees506 and those of you that have offer kind words as well.

seanbaseball
08-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Can't we just let the man be happy with his photomatch? I haven't seen him claim the bat is worth any dollar amount. Are we really going to nitpick game use on the bat? Its an amazing find regardless. This thread is taking a sour feel when we should be congratulating a fellow collector on an really rare find.

The post really took on a tone of hyping his bat........starting to seem like hyping for the purpose of future auction listing? Maybe im wrong but thats the sense i get. Its a great bat but doesnt compare to Aaron Judge items in terms of value imo.

DTM5
08-30-2017, 03:19 PM
No Mayweather vs. McGregor hype here for an upcoming auction. Just wanted
to share my find of the century and a bat that has not been seen in almost 30 years.

seanbaseball
08-30-2017, 04:19 PM
No Mayweather vs. McGregor hype here for an upcoming auction. Just wanted
to share my find of the century and a bat that has not been seen in almost 30 years.

LOL I hear u and its VERY cool

yankees506
08-30-2017, 06:56 PM
The post really took on a tone of hyping his bat........starting to seem like hyping for the purpose of future auction listing? Maybe im wrong but thats the sense i get. Its a great bat but doesnt compare to Aaron Judge items in terms of value imo.

If he wants to sell this bat more power to him. I had a chance at this bat and passed for many reasons. One being i already have a nice griffey rookie. But lets not assume anything. If he wanted validation for his bat why dont we give it to him as collectors. He has what he has. Nothing will change that. Its either a verified griffey photoshoot bat or a gamer. Both have value. But i think he posted it so we could appreciate it. I know i do

STLHAMMER32
08-30-2017, 09:18 PM
I highly doubt griffey would have grabbed a bat that he was not using for a photoshoot. Even if it is his dads bat placing it in his hands during his rookie season/ era is incredible and amazing it has survived the years. I would not care to match it to "game use" its matched period at least imo. Great bat man!

I can't even begin to count the numerous examples of players holding another player's bats ESPECIALLY for photo shoots from this era. I think we could all find dozens upon dozens to post as examples.

Griffey Sr. used blonde coopers and as already posted there is a photo of him actually holding the blonde cooper while griffey holds his typical black bat from the same series of cards.

Here's a griffey card with JR. Holding a singular spiral taped bat that is likely a SR. bat as this was his signature tape job.

With that being said...Because it's a c271 and has a unique criss-cross pattern with his #24 placed on the bat, I'd say there's a good chance it was in fact used by Griffey Jr. even if it was originally issued to Griff Sr.

DTM5
08-30-2017, 10:09 PM
At the expense of being redundant Griffey Sr. Used cooper model (S216) Griffey Jr. Used cooper (C271) that to me alone is telling not to mention the tape and 24 on top of barrel. If Jr. used Sr. bat it would not have had these characteristics let alone it would have been a (S216). This is not Sr.'s bat. Also, Griffey Jr. On rare occasions used a single spiral tape job his rookie year maybe mimicking his old man however I have never seen Sr. Use a 14inch criss-cross tape application on his bats.

STLHAMMER32
08-31-2017, 07:15 PM
At the expense of being redundant Griffey Sr. Used cooper model (S216) Griffey Jr. Used cooper (C271) that to me alone is telling not to mention the tape and 24 on top of barrel. If Jr. used Sr. bat it would not have had these characteristics let alone it would have been a (S216). This is not Sr.'s bat. Also, Griffey Jr. On rare occasions used a single spiral tape job his rookie year maybe mimicking his old man however I have never seen Sr. Use a 14inch criss-cross tape application on his bats.

I noted that it looks good in favor of Griffey Jr using the bat because of what you mentioned. I do have a couple of questions out of curiosity.

1.) Is there no ordering records of the Cooper 271 bats for Griffey Sr.

2.) If you have the cooper ordering records, can you share them?

3.) Is there another photo or bat with a similar tape job of this bat for Griffey Jr ? This is the first I've seen that is this "extreme".

Cool bat, great match. Would probably fetch a nice premium for the right collector.

DTM5
08-31-2017, 07:58 PM
I miss spoke when I said order records, I simply meant my PSA/DNA COA states year 1989 (rookie year). The website gubats.com (Nick's website a guu member) has a picture of someone's, I'm assuming a member of guu as well Griffey Jr. Bat collection that shows the progression of his tape application over the years. You will notice that all bats are black LS, however that's not what to look at. You will notice it starts from earliest bats (top)... down to more recent. Notice he did OCCASIONALLY use the single spiral tape application rookie year as mentioned before. There is a bat displaying the higher tape application as well. My COA notes the higher..." early tape application 14.25 inches."

DTM5
08-31-2017, 11:06 PM
I noted that it looks good in favor of Griffey Jr using the bat because of what you mentioned. I do have a couple of questions out of curiosity.

1.) Is there no ordering records of the Cooper 271 bats for Griffey Sr.

2.) If you have the cooper ordering records, can you share them?

3.) Is there another photo or bat with a similar tape job of this bat for Griffey Jr ? This is the first I've seen that is this "extreme".

Cool bat, great match. Would probably fetch a nice premium for the right collector.

An example of "extreme" tape job is donruss baseballs best 1989 Ken Griffey Jr.
Rookie card which also is a cooper bat!

DTM5
09-01-2017, 03:28 AM
Ironic the timing of this article from MLB.com check it out at the following link:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/08/31/251278624/in-1990-the-griffeys-became-the-first-father-and-son-to-play-in-the-same-major-league-lineup

vonbrandingo
09-01-2017, 05:42 PM
This is like a car wreck, painful but gotta look. I've found that it's a mistake to look for the validation you sought in your title. I'd just show it and the responses would be much different. You have a killer Junior photomatched rookie bat. Might be the rarest or the best or whatever or might not. No way to know. I'd be super happy with it, wrap this up and move on.

Rod

DTM5
09-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I have to apologize for those of you that may have taken the title of this thread the wrong way and I understand why one might. My intentions were good, I really just wanted a title that would get members attention because I was excited for collectors to see it. My excitement may have got the best of me. If you noticed I put (!?!) at the end of the title....not for people to validate that it is the rarest, but to even suggest I don't even know? Like you stated, do we or would we, ever know and does it really matter. Thank you for everyone's feedback!

3arod13
09-02-2017, 10:24 AM
It's a great bat and you should be proud to own it! The end!

Juan Gris
09-02-2017, 08:22 PM
I read this thread an hour after it was first posted and was awestruck with how cool of a bat the OP found. I don't collect Griffey Jr. bats but I sure did with his cards growing up and am very familiar with the Mother's Cookies cards. Now, days later, I see some members telling him he should be happy if he is comfortable with this bat?! I understand where everybody is coming from but what is a PSA 10 GU Bat Grade worth if you can't photo match the bat to being used by the player?

Without photographic evidence, bat grades come with an amount of imagination, no matter how much you paid or think you know about a specific bat or known player characteristics. I would rather own this bat over any PSA 10 Rookie Griffey Bat that didn't include photo matches because I can actually put this one in Junior's hands on an important card, as a rookie and it exhibits use. I don't think anyone overstepped their boundary, just wanted to get that out there.

Nnunnari
09-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Awesome bat and congrats on the find. Ken Griffey Sr. probably ordered bats for junior through his Cooper rep in junior's model and specs of choice. Having a vintage #24 written on the end and being a C271 would make me feel confident this bat was used by Jr and was ordered for junior. Tony Gwynn used to order bats for his son through his LS rep, senior's name on the barrel as LS thought the bats were being made for senior but they were really ordered for junior. Killer bat. Junior did use the large spiral tape pattern as a rookie as well as the criss cross. Now someone needs to track down what time of year these photos were taken so we can try to pinpoint if this bat was actually used during the season, Spring Training or offseason training.

DTM5
09-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Nick, thank you for your input. Researching the mother's cookies 1989 Griffey Jr. cards I found that they were first released as a promotional giveaway at a baseball card show at the Kingdome on August 20, 1989. So deductive reasoning would make one believe these photos were taken early in the season to allow time for production of the cards etc. Also, one would wonder since they were taken in the Kingdome that the chance may be higher for being during the season vs. spring training? I would appreciate all the help I can get tracking down Barry Colla's contact information and/or the date of the photo shoot. Thanks in advance to members!

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/baseball-cards/1989-mothers-cookies-ken-griffey-jr/3155

sctizzle
09-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Worth trying this as it came up on a google search:

Barry Colla Photography & Design
STREET
95101 San Jose
CA
(408) 248-5260

DTM5
09-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Worth trying this as it came up on a google search:

Barry Colla Photography & Design
STREET
95101 San Jose
CA
(408) 248-5260

Thank you for the information.... I should have mentioned I tried calling this number before and it is disconnected.

bgakladd
09-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Here is a different photo with Griffey Jr. dressed for what looks like cooler weather. The bat is a Cooper and appears to be without JR. after the name from what I can tell. It even has a similar woodgrain pattern above the 3 color ring and up to the Cooper brand...lol.

DTM5
09-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Wow....that is an interesting pic. The wood grain does appear to join the oval portion of the bat same as my bat and appears no "Jr" No tape looks to be present but maybe he taped it sometime after??? Great find of him using this style cooper in game play regardless. Any additional information with the pic? I'm assuming no, or you would have shared. Thanks again for looking and sharing!!!

bgakladd
09-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Wow....that is an interesting pic. The wood grain does appear to join the oval portion of the bat same as my bat and appears no "Jr" No tape looks to be present but maybe he taped it sometime after??? Great find of him using this style cooper in game play regardless. Any additional information with the pic? I'm assuming no, or you would have shared. Thanks again for looking and sharing!!!

Tough to tell on the tape. Zooming in under the 3 color ring I can see a dark triangular shape on the left side, about an inch under the rings. Is that a tape pattern showing? Yours has a similar shape on the tape.

sctizzle
09-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Thank you for the information.... I should have mentioned I tried calling this number before and it is disconnected.

Looks like Barry is the photographer for the San Jose Giants--maybe someone tbrrr could help you with contact info or ask questions for you.

DTM5
09-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Funny you mention that because I have emailed their two head marketing personnel with no reply. I may just have to pick up the phone and/or send more emails. Again, all the thanks to members helping to brainstorm, search etc to help a fellow member out. This is how a forum like this should be!

DTM5
09-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Funny you mention that because I have emailed their two head marketing personnel with no reply. I may just have to pick up the phone and/or send more emails. Again, all the thanks to members helping to brainstorm, search etc to help a fellow member out. This is how a forum like this should be!

bgakladd
09-05-2017, 05:31 PM
DTM5 contact me at BGAKLADD@AOL.COM if you want. I want to talk to you about the last photo of Griffey Jr. I posted with the Cooper bat.

DTM5
09-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Here is a different photo with Griffey Jr. dressed for what looks like cooler weather. The bat is a Cooper and appears to be without JR. after the name from what I can tell. It even has a similar woodgrain pattern above the 3 color ring and up to the Cooper brand...lol.

Thank you to bgakladd along with Barry Colla for helping me connect the dots with this bat. I was able to connect via email with Mr. Colla and he informed me that the photo shoot for the mothers rookie card took place in July of 1989 at the Kingdome however he did not have record of the exact date.

Expanding my search thanks to bgakladd photo lead I discovered the following picture that matches his exactly. Sorry, once again unable to attach another pic??? If some else is able to please do.

http://www.gettyimages.com/license/72542737

The Mariners played Baltimore and the date would coincide with the photo shoot being in July. Seattle played at Baltimore 7/17/89 - 7/19/89. Look at the two pictures they match up exactly from orange coat with a stripe fan in background...to dugout, along with police officer next to dugout, and Griffey Jr.'s uniform and accessories. You can see in the second pic I provided that the bat is clearly taped. Looking at records of the three game series, Junior had at least one hit in all three games.