PDA

View Full Version : Basketballs loosing air

joecoco
08-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Hi guys

I'm just curious, how many of you who collect old basketballs find they fail to retain air overtime? I'm assuming this is a problem with most basketballs but just wanted to check in. Buy old I mean 35 plus years....myself not included. I tend to gain more hot air with time.
Cheers
Joe

TigersCubs84
08-12-2017, 04:53 PM
With footballs I pump em up once or twice a year. I put a little drop of oil on the rubber where the needle fits in to keep it from cracking and drying out. Works good so far.

joecoco
08-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks! I am assuming the vasolein used for the needle should work as well? Thanks again

TigersCubs84
08-12-2017, 07:44 PM
So back to your original question, yes I have had a basketball lose air. You see a lot of old flat basketballs in trophy cases at schools and such. The needle valve area dries out or the bladder goes bad. Some old fashioned sporting good stores still can do bladder replacement on footballs. I think there was a thread on here about a place in Ohio that does it.

joecoco
08-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Thanks again for the time and input. Great point regarding basketballs in trophy cases. I appreciate it!

NEFAN
08-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Wilson will fix any football they made for $20 regardless of how old it is. If the manufacturer of the basketball is still in business, maybe they have a similar policy.

gobills123
08-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Wilson will fix any football they made for $20 regardless of how old it is. If the manufacturer of the basketball is still in business, maybe they have a similar policy.

I was told Wilson does not do that anymore sadly....